1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Godsmuiscgirl07, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Susieq

Susieq New Member

Isn't it great to be part of the body of Christ. It's okay to diagree. I love to read Christion fiction. fiction to me is just for fun and relaxation. I'm not trying to prepare a sermon from it.

I have a very ecletic taste in reading material. I love Stephen Lawhead. The Dragon King Triology and the Pendragon Cycle. I have read and enjoy CS Lewis. Frank Peretti. I enjoy his kids books. I love Lori Wick. She touches my heart. Speaking of kids books, Pastor Karl Bastion has written a book called Order of the Ancients. The Magic Bicycle series is wonderful.

Read on! [​IMG]

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Just finished Peretti and Decker's 'House'. Now I gotta read Decker. Recently discovered Thoene's books, I am a history buff so the historical perspective they write from grabs me.

3. The Kings daughter

The Kings daughter New Member

Samarelda: I couldn't agree with you more, I have read many of Lori Wicks books and found them a major stumbling Block along with many other "christian" romance writers. As a result I struggled to separate fantasy love from reality, I too would not allow my daughter these books or any of the like, life is hard enough for our girls without having to add anymore emotional baggage to them. I make a point of providing her with material that will Glorify God. A beautiful book I purchased for her was "Dear Princess" a book I strongly reccomend for every young lady preparing for reality. I will look into the books you speak of. It is very hard to find good reading material.

4. bluecollarsurfer

bluecollarsurfer New Member

Christian Fiction ...

Since I enjoy Sci-Fi and Action/Adventure plots in secular fiction, it should come as no surprise that most anything Frank Peretti or Ted Dekker write would make my list.

I loved C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy's first two books; "Perelandra" and "Out of the Silent Planet". The third book, however, "That Hideous Strength" left me cold. I struggled to finish it. "The Screwtape Letters" is a perennial favorite. One of finest pieces of Christian fiction ever written IMHO is Lewis' "The Great Divorce". Unfortunately, not too many people seem familiar with it.

I like Gene Edwards as well. The Angelwalk series was entertaining as I recall, though it's been many years since I read it.

I find it interesting to note that many of the things that make good fiction seem to be a turn off for folks here. Several folks commented, for example, that characters in Christian fiction seem too perfect. But Jack Ryan, hero of most of Tom Clancy's novels, is a guy who always does the right thing, regardless. If any of us did behaved that way, we would (and often do) get hammered regularly since righteousness is often it's own reward. But few would argue that Clancy's fiction is not compelling or entertaining.

Some commented on plots that are not true to life or not possible in real life being unattractive in their fiction. Until 9/11 the concept of flying a jet into a national landmark would not have been a realistic concept. So too with a nuclear detonation at the Super Bowl or a total crash of Wall Street or a biological WMD attack on the world via the Olympics and so on. But these all make compelling, and highly successful, fiction.

I wonder if the real thought process is that if it is to be "Christian" then it can't really be good! I remember all the hoopla surrounding Larry Norman and early Contemporary Christian Music. Prior to Mr. Norman's arrival if one had a small organ or piano and sincerity, one could be a Christian musician. When Larry sang "Why Should the Devil Have all the Good Music" he became a pariah in many circles - a sell-out, backsliding, probably-not-even-a-REAL-Christian, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.

But Norman and others changed a facet of Christianity that, 35 years later, touches young and old alike with the transforming power of Christ. Sure, there are bad apples in CCM. Sure there are sell-outs and CCM-as-business-and-hang-the-ministry-stuff execs. What do we expect from fallen (non-Christians) and imperfect (Christians) humanity?

The key is, as always, knowing God and allowing that knowledge to guide us. Remember that Jesus and Paul were rabble-rousers who didn't fit in with their conventional or traditional religious traditions. Even though they affirmed everything that Judaism taught, they questioned the people's understanding of what Judaism taught. It is little different in the church today.

End of rant - I'll put my soapbox up now. You, in the back, with the tar and feathers? Yes, you ... I was just leaving ...

Blessings,

Ken

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

While not really a Christian Fiction buff myself, my sister really enjoys the writings of Jane Kirkpatrick.

Usually the thrust of her stories are on pioneer women of the West that claim to be based on the authentic lives of either one or a group of women who lived during that time.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm not usually into Christian fiction either, but I do like Francine Rivers. Right now I'm reading the Shofar Blew and it it awesome.