1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Hedonism

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, May 7, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since many of my ancestors (on Dad's side) were Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, I've developed a keen interest in their distinctives. I was just reading an article by Martyn Lloyd-Jones' describing what Methodism is and after reading it, I wonder if we couldn't consider John Piper to be a closet Calvinistic Methodist? Could Christian Hedonism be considered Calvinistic Methodism?

Here's Lloyd-Jones' definition

"What was it then? Well, Methodism is essentially experimental or experiential religion and a way of life. I think that is an adequate definition of it. What produced this? How did this ever come into being? The answer is that it was born of a number of things. The first was the realization that religion is primarily and essentially something personal. This was the thing that came to all of them. They all became aware of their own personal sinfulness; they underwent conviction of sin, and it was an agonizing process. But they all experienced this terrible need of forgiveness. This became a burden to them - both parties. Then there was also a great desire for a knowledge of God - a direct knowledge of God: not to believe things about God - they had already got that - but the desire to know God. 'This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent' (John 17:3). All this led on then to a desire for assurance of sins forgiven."

Here's the full article William Williams & Welsh Calvinistic Methodism
    http://www.misterrichardson.com/welshcalmeth.html

#1 Earth Wind and Fire, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist