1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Christian Humanism"

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Christian41974, Feb 15, 2003.

1. I was reading a book about the Anabaptists and Erasmus and I came across a term that I don't understand "Christian Humanist". I was wondering if anyone here could shed any light on "Christian Humanist". I always had heard humanists believed in the goodness of man and that their beliefs do not line of the Bible. Maybe this term is not related to modern humanists. I don't know. Please help me if you can. Thank you.

2. rufus

rufus New Member

http://www.firstthings.com

The following quote comes from: http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/index.htm

There are essentially, two forms of humanism. The first form is the strictest view. It is stated as: any view that believes that humans, through their own power achieve a better lives or liberation. There is no divine aid in this view. Humans save themselves. The other definition of humanism is much more broader. It is stated as such: any system of thought or action in which human interests, values, dignity are taken to be of primary importance. In this sense, there can be gods or a God and divine intervention. The early Christian humanists fall into this category.

rufus [​IMG]

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Humanism" can mean many different things, depending on the context and time period.

In connection with Erasmus, humanism resulted from the rediscovery of the classic Latin and Greek writers. Humanists advocated study of the classics and classical culture -- they studied the "human" texts, not just the "sacred" texts. Erasmus was probably at the pinnacle of the tradition; Thomas More would be another example of a Christian humanist.

Billions of pages could be written on the effects of humanism and its influence on the Renaissance and the Reformation, and later on the Enlightenment. Just a couple of points:

Erasmus' production of his Greek New Testament was a direct result of the rehabilitation of classical learning. So was the preparation of works on Hebrew grammar and Hebrew dictionaries by other scholars.

The attitude of the classicists -- which attacked the pedantry that dominated education -- helped pave the way for Luther and others. The humanists criticized the scholastics (and the hierarchy) for their methods and lack of imagination. Thereafter, it would be easier to take the next step to criticism on theological grounds.

Of course, humanism without its Christian base can quickly lead to skepticism and what can be termed "secular humanism." But that's another topic.

4. I sincerely appreciate both of your posts on the before mentioned subject. Again thank you.

5. Shqippy

Shqippy New Member