1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Literature

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by calvin4me, May 24, 2004.

1. calvin4me

calvin4me New Member

One thing that really saddens me is that I know so few people that have any desire to read the "classics". I know they may not appeal to everybody, but speaking for myself, I spend hours reading the sermons of Luther and the works of Calvin. How few people have read Calvin's Institutes! (I know not everybody is a "strict" calvinist, but I know that not everyone is a "strict" Arminian, either)
    Spurgeon wrote over 3,500 sermons, and I wished he had wrote 35,000!
    Other authors I reccomend are: Arthur Pink,
    G. Cambell Morgan, Martin Loyd-Jones, Augustine, Thomas Boston, Steven Charnock, C.S. Lewis and Boice.

I have 62 volumes of Watchman Nee, but I recommend him to those who are very familliar with the Scriptures -although I have read about 15 books of his, and have found nothing unorthodox in his writings, it is easy nonetheless to misuderstand him. I personally believe he was a genius.

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a fan of Watchman Nee, but am of just about everyone else on your list!

Big problem is Christians spending mega$$ on wide screen tvs, DVD's, cable and every other aspect of media -- then poor mouthing buying some very basic Christian literature that could enhance their spiritual growth tenfold.

3. calvin4me

calvin4me New Member

As a seminary professor, what do you find unacceptable with Watchman Nee?
    I certainly do not agree with everything he says, and unless the reader has a tripartite view of man as body, soul and spirit, (as I personally do)a huge portion of his work becomes meaningless.
    Nevertheless, I think his emphasis on "walking by the spirit" is desperately needed these days.
    I know James Mongomery Boice held the tripartite view, and he was a calvinist.
    I personlly think Calvin was the best Christian writer of all.
    God bless. Thanks for writing me.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am simply not a fan of the "deeper life" type movement that he espouses.

(I, too, am a trichotomist and reformed)

5. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Let's not forget Paul Bunyan (Pilgrim's Progress). [​IMG]

6. calvin4me

calvin4me New Member

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know how many times I've heard that joke, some from folks who didn't know to put a smiley face on it!! [​IMG]

Now, don't burn me at the steak (pun intended) but I actually like the tall tales of PAUL Bunyan better than the allegories of his cousin, JOHN Bunyan.