1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Manhood

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good. Thank you.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love sitting in my church and looking around at so many of the men that we have and just knowing their hearts. They are true men. I know without a doubt, many of our men in leadership (ministry leaders, deacons, pastors) would absolutely lay down their lives for another person. I remember talking to a young girl who went on a missions trip to Cuba and she said that all of the men from our church would stay close to her at all times to protect her and when she was sleeping, one would sleep outside her door. She knew that they loved her and would do anything to protect her. I thought that was awesome. I really DO look around at our congregation and feel loved and protected not only by my own husband but by most of the men there as well. :) Godly men are wonderful. I have to say, I do see many of the men here in the same way and I haven't even met them! :)

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful! A lot of women are studying the martial arts nowadays! :smilewinkgrin: My organization has four woman instructors, and another wanting to be certified next year. But I believe being a good protector is essential to Christian manhood.

I remember a black belt in the martial arts style I was in when in college who made the mistake of slugging his wife once. She told him, "You'd better not go to sleep tonight!" He did, and while he slept she broke his arm with a baseball bat! [​IMG]

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another good post!

As I just told Luke, I believe being a protector to be an important part of a man's character. A woman can certainly be strong, though she is a nurturer, since the "ideal woman" of Prov. 31 "girds her arm with strength." However, I believe a man should strengthen himself with sports, and even a martial art, so he can be a good protector.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, a Christian man is one who takes his responsibilties as the spiritual lead of the home very true to heart and teaches, especially by example, the way to live for Christ.

My wonderful dad is a retired post office employee - a brilliant man and full of humility.

I can remember him witnessing to my younger brother who is mentally handicapped 34 years ago. You see, my father is quite the discerning Christian man. He noticed that my younger brother had begun to ask questions about Jesus and about God from what he was learning in church. He spoke to him over several days in his room. I was 14 and I could hear him. He used gentle words that my 12-year-old retarded brother would understand. The day that my brother made a profession of faith in his bedroom was a joyous day indeed. My father shouted and took my brother by the hand and they RAN out the front door and ran the three blocks to our pastor's house. Pretty decent job for a mail man, eh?

I could give you example after example of how my father is concerned for the lost and how he has given his time, his money, his muscles, and his wisdom to making sure the people in his circle know the LORD. My father considers everything in this world that is of material value as loss and the work of the LORD as gain. He isn't perfect. But he was perfectly suited to be my father.

I'll just leave you with one more. My father has always been a morning prayer warrior. In a house as small the one I grew up in, it was hard not to hear him. I moved out of the house when I was 19 so his private and morning prayer times were soon forgotten by me. My mother deeded me some property near their new home about 14 years ago. I was 35 and wanted to be near "home" again. My home is within walking distance of my parents house today.

One morning as I was washing my cereal bowl in the kitchen sink, I could see a figure of a man on their driveway from my window. It was still hazy as the sun was not fully up and it scared me. I stared further and saw that it was my father.

He was facing the eastern and rising sun with his hands lifted to the heavens. He was praying. I got a serious lump in my throat as I remembered his private prayers that couldn't help but hear as a child. I knew that he was praying for me as well as others.

I never told my father that I saw him and never will. Those types of prayers are private.

Let me leave you with this.

My father is a retired mailman and he is the most wise, faithful, discerning, and loving Christian man that I have ever known.

I am proud that he is my father. You see, he would be the same man, living a life for the LORD, whether he would be mail man, preacher, ditch digger, or governor.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post, Scarlett O! Your father is exactly the model for Christian manhood I've been thinking about.

I describe my own father in one word: faithful. In spite of disappointment, failure, opposition, sickness and many other things that would stop a less than faithful pastor, he preached the Gospel for 60 years!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the gentle side of the "strong and gentle" Christian man is that he should be a gentleman. I remember the father of my martial arts teacher in college, who was the dean of the seminary.

Dr. Douglas Cravens was a short, balding man who loved the Word of God and puns and family and friends. But he was the consummate gentleman. I remember seeing him open the car door for his wife when he was in his 60's and thinking, wow, what a gentleman, and that must be a great marriage! Several years later his wife was killed by a young lady who ran a stop sign. Dr. Cravens went to the young lady's hospital room and gently reassured her that not only did he not blame her, he knew God had a plan in the whole thing!

The concept of the gentleman seems to be disappearing from American culture for a number of reasons. I've not had the experience, but I've heard of women berating a gentleman who opened a door for them on the grounds that they were just as good as a man, and could open their own door! Very sad. It's not a matter of equality or superiority, but of a man being "strong enough to be gentle." A real man is sure enough of his own strength that he can show softness without feeling he is being less than a man.

8. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

In the not too distant past, my martial arts master (and pastor) came out onto the mat to demonstrate several aggressive techniques to us (all black belts) using one hand while gently holding one of his grandkids with the other. It was display of the dichotomy described above; literally able to be agreesive with one hand while gentle enough with the other to not upset a small child.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent illustration!

And as I'm sure you know, judo is usually translated as "gentle way" and jujutsu as "gentle method." The idea here, as in many martial arts (we call it "yielding" in our art) is that we succeed in throws and joint locks by feeling the other person's strength and letting him defeat himself.

There is also, of course, a Biblical concept that is similar that I like to call "verbal judo"-- "A soft answer turneth away wrath" (Prov. 15:1).

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I first began thinking seriously about Christian manhood when a deacon in my Dad's church gave me a high school graduation card with "If", the poem by Rudyard Kipling.

If
    By Rudyard Kipling
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breath a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I served with a Marine Corps Sergeant who came home to New Jersey, couldnt get a job so he worked for his dad in North Plainfield taking care of his Gas Station. Bad neighborhood, repeatedly robbed till John took over management. they tried to rob him at night @ gunpoint & he killed all 3 with his bear hands. He is a very quiet guy that teaches English Literature at the Local High School & Martial Arts at night .... his own business.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Have you noticed how mma has changed our perspective on the old martial arts?

I mention this because you keep bringing up Asian martial arts styles which are really not that great in the combat world (other than jujitsu which it can be argued that the Japanese version of jujitsu is not the one mma employ by and large- it is the Brazilian form of it).

Most of this joint locking (to throw), ninjitsu, karate, aikido and kung fu business is baloney. It doesn't pan out in real combat.

Wrestlers with a little Brazilian jujitsu ground skills and/or a little Muay Thai or kick boxing dominate this combat sport.

It is funny to me having been raised just before UFC came about and having been led to think that karate and kung fu and all these Asian martial arts were supposed to be so awesome- low and behold good old fashioned American wrestlers dominate martial arts!

The only other two groups that come close are Muay Thai (Anderson Silva) and jujitsu (Royce Gracie).

You mentioned judo, and I like judo, but other than Karo Paresian, who is not that great and that Japanese fellow who Chris Leben just beat- I can't think of any judo fighters making any kind of mark in real combat sports.

But EVERYBODY, if they want to compete in MMA, has to have a solid grasp of wrestling.

Most champions have been wrestlers.

Cain Velasquez- a wrestler
    Brock Lesnar- a wrestler
    Randy Couture- a wrestler
    Rashad Evans- a wrestler
    Dan Henderson= a wrestler
    Chuck Liddell- a wrestler
    Quinton Jackson- a wrestler
    Matt Hughes- a wrestler
    George St. Pierre- not a wrestling base but his primary tool now is wrestling
    Frankie Edgar- a wrestler
    Dan Severn- a wrestler
    Ken Shamrock- a wrestler
    Tito Ortiz- a wrestler

These are just the champs- guys who are up and comers are mostly wrestlers like Chaal Sonnen, Ryan Bader, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, Clay Guida, Roger Huerta, Jake O'Brien, Matt Hamill, Brandon Vera, Gray Maynard, Corey Hill, Matt Grice and others.

I think it is funny that good old fashioned American Greco Roman wrestlers have shown Asian martial arts to be the myth that it is.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My close friend who is a policeman and an expert in Chinese chin na joint locking (a master instructor in my style) would disagree. He has used his traditional skills to subdue suspects many times.

Again, my pastor friend in Florida (another master instructor in my style) has used his traditional Chinese martial art in real encounters and won. This includes once when a man high on drugs came into the church and attacked him, even taking him to the ground. Pastor M. subdued him from the bottom position with kung fu, then called police.

As for myself, I also disagree. In the 70's I used to participate in bare knuckle karate tourneys around the south, and the times I got knocked out in supposed semi contact tourneys (and occasionally clobbered someone else), convinced me that my traditional martial art would stand the test. What the Brazilian jujutsu guys assume is that the average "street fighter" has grappling skills, which is a fallacy.
    Sport is the correct word. My kung fu friend and I have watched many UFC shows here in Japan. I have UFC 1-7 on DVD, and they started out with supposedly "no rules." But even then they had rules, and we used to laugh to each other and say in unison "no rules!" And of course now the UFC has many more rules than they did in the original UFC.

In a deadly encounter I would use many techniques not allowed in MMA sport matches. And yes, I've trained on a heavy bag and other equipment and with other martial artists in these techniques.
    One thing the Asian martial arts still have that you see little of in MMA is respect and dignity. The karate proverb says, Rei de hajimari, rei de owaru, "Begin with respect and end with respect." Most MMA fighters are foul mouthed and undisciplined in their private lives, as "The Ultimate Fighter" proves (count the bleeps in that show some time), though I admire the discipline it takes in training to produce a top MMA fighter. And I appreciate the occasional Christian with a good testimony I see participate.
    Don't even get me started on Royce Gracie. He's not very manly in my view. He's a cheater (steroids) and a whiner (had to have precisely his rules here in Japan in 2000, and still lost to Sakuraba). I do respect some of the other Gracies like Rickson.

Don't get me wrong. I'm cross-ranked 2nd black in a non-Brazilian style of modern jujutsu. MMA is definitely an excellent discipline. But there is still much to offer in the traditional Asian martial arts.
    Actually, some of the top MMA fighters in Japan have Judo backgrounds: Yoshida, etc. Judo is just not very common in the US. (And FYI, judo started out as Jigaro Kano's traditional jujutsu.)
    Actually, it's not just Greco-Roman, but freestyle as well, which is an outgrowth of the catch-as-catch-can I trained in in high school.

But as for Asian martial arts being a "myth," which art are you talking about? There are literally hundreds, and some of them train with similar techniques to MMA. In fact, you are apparently not aware of the history of Brazilian Jujutsu. Gracie Jujutsu was originally based on traditional Japanese jujutsu taught the Gracie family by Esai Maeda.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea but John you are talking about trained fighters fighting untrained layman. I suppose that some of the asian ma would be helpful to a police officer against blow joe- but it is been proven hundreds of times in the past two decades that wrestlers will beat the tar out of these little japanese fellas with their kung fu and other Hollywood styles.

And yes you are right- free style is just as significant as greco roman

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention master instructor Steve, a retired cop, who one time had a perp charge him. He hit the perp one time over the heart with a traditional reverse punch and stopped his heart, killed him! Fortunately for the perp, Steve was also trained in CPR, and brought him back to life.

And you have finally come to the crux of the matter. It's all in the training. I'd never beat a pro MMA dude because he can train all day. But at one point in my life I was training for hours every day in a traditional martial art (back before MMA), and feel that at that point I could have done well against a variety of opponents. An MMA man who doesn't train well or long may lose against anyone else who trains well and long.

Again, remember that MMA is a combative sport. My own style is designed for self defense in particular, not for competition, so we train differently from MMA guys. While an MMA practitioner will do well in most self defense situations, there are some that MMA is just not designed for (multiple opponents, opponents with weapons, etc.). And someone trained solely in my style would do poorly in MMA. The goals of the styles are just too different.

A couple more points and I'm done. What you forgot is that a wrestler must add striking to his repertoire before becoming effective in MMA. Wrestling alone is not a total art. I remember a street fight I had in high school where as a wrestler I took the guy down and got the "mount," then didn't know what to do. When I first took karate in 1971 it was a revelation! If you watch the MMA debut matches of some famous wrestlers you'll see what I mean. Dan Severn is one example. Couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag in his early matches! He could have used a little bit of traditional karate then.

Secondly, you don't seem aware that many traditional martial arts train full contact: Kyokushinkai Karate, Seido Kan Karate, kung fu sanshou fighting, etc. Some of those guys have done very well in Japanese K1 kickboxing. Once again, though, to have a total art they have to learn grappling.

And "Hollywood styles?" What in the world is a Hollywood style? I've trained in various traditional martial arts that I've never seen in a movie: Pai Lum, Tan Tui, chin na, Wing Chun, etc. And those arts are very effective--without using any of the the silly stuff you see in the movies.

16. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

Just my .02 here. MMA has rules and is a sport. The martial arts born from and developed during combat have no rules. The wrestling you see in MMA would not happen in a field of battle nor a self-defense situation. A thumb driven into an eye socket to displace the eyeball, a pinkie ripped backwards, or a blow to back of the neck where the spine attaches to the skull are all techiniques that would be used by a trained martial artist, but only if necessary. There would be no rolling around on a mat for very long. Also keep in mind, that use of martial arts is a last resort. Conflict should be avoided if at all possible.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know nothing about this stuff.....I stayed away from it for years after leaving the service but where would you position Okinawan Karate?

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

It appears YOU can argue about anything. As far as an old fashioned american wrestler... the likes of Bruce Lee would bust his nose and hand him 35 cents change before the wrestler could blink an eye.

20. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter