1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Manhood

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be offensive.
    I'm sorry to have offended you. I didn't mean this as an insult at all. And once when I asked you if you had practiced the martial arts, you said you hadn't except for a few "private" lessons (your quote marks) in jujutsu.
    This depends on many factors. If someone has a gun up to my head, I can easily disarm them without getting hurt, as I've proven to my students over and over. If there is some distance between you and the person knows how to handle a gun, it becomes more difficult but not impossible. And if someone is about to shoot you, it does help to at least have an idea about how to disarm them.

#61 John of Japan, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I'd like to give a short personal testimony to show that the Asian martial arts aren't totally useless, as Luke apparently believes. The martial arts are an integral part of Asian society and culture, and I believe that martial arts that have stood the test of 100s or even 1000s of years can help Christian men defend their families. There are now Christian martial arts organizations and schools all over America that agree with me.

I became a wrestler in junior high hoping to strengthen myself, since I felt myself to be weak and wanted to be manly. As the Bible says, "The glory of young men is their strength" (Prov. 20:29). Wrestling was great for me. God used it in my life. I developed my body, and learned many character lessons. My high school coach was great: he taught me not to quit, most of all.

In college I started training in judo and then karate. I was asked to join the BJU "Karate for Christ" demonstration team, but had to transfer schools and couldn't. At Tennessee Temple I learned kung fu, and started an evangelistic demonstration team with four other men, "Kung Fu for Christ." I praise God for using us in those years to present the Gospel through the martial arts in nine different states, and using our demos to win many children to Christ. (This was all well before anyone thought of the modern mixed martial arts craze.)

Another way I have been blessed by the Christian martial arts is that it gave me an excellent way to relate to my son, our only child. The family that kicks together sticks together, I always say! Paul is now a third level instructor in our style of Christian kung fu, and when he was in college he too started a Gospel demonstration team, Kung Fu Influencing Kids for the Savior, or KIKS. They too did many demonstrations and saw many kids come to Christ.

As I close in on old age, I don't do as much as I used to. I teach the kids of our co-workers and that's it. On furlough next year I'll do a few seminars and demonstrations, and will enjoy that. We'll have the semi-annual meeting of my organization, which has 18 kung fu people at instructor level, and it will be a great time of fun and fellowship.

I don't regret a thing about doing the Christian martial arts, though I've had knee surgery, and been knocked out or choked out in wrestling, judo, karate and kung fu. I've had a wisdom tooth shattered in my mouth. Once I was KOed at the famous "Battle of Atlanta" tourney, and the guy who ran it, Joe Corley, told me he was glad he didn't have to call my mommy since I was over 20! And they X-rayed my head for that one--but didn't find anything. I've had stitches and bruises and other injuries galore. (There is a legend in one part of Australia about a crazy kung fu guy who put an arrow to his throat and got seven stitches--but I digress.)

In doing the Christian martial arts I've made life long friends (the guy who shattered my tooth is my best friend of 38 years), I've met some exciting people, I've performed and taught in the US, Japan, China and Australia. But most of all, I've seen God use my martial arts for His glory. What more could a man want?

#62 John of Japan, Dec 16, 2010
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen, Im asking you manly men once again because I may want to take lessions & now Im old & flexibility & dextarity are now issues somewhat. Once again, "how does the practice of Okinawan Karate stack up against the other marshal arts" I realize whatever you give me is opinion but...
    Thank you

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are many forms of martial arts and honestly it depends which one is best suited to your personality.
    I've taken Tai Kwon Do and Tang su do (korean) and I didn't like either. I've taken Shodokan Karate which though fun I also did not gravitate towards. I've taken Aikido which I like better but still did not gravitate towards it either. I was happy with Bujikan training for Taijutsu and it fit mostly my attitude/personality.
    However, as I got more into it, it correlated the philisophical with the application of the art and my trainers were very much into Mikkyo mind science of the art. I felt at that point I should stop though the body dynamics and martial training was very good and fun. However, I did stop at attempting to attain personal power through meditation and focusing on hand symbols like Manadalas. Some of the things I've heard attributed to this aspect seems very unbelievable but Honestly I stopped because of uncertainty on where it would lead me spiritually if I kept it up. I was at it for 3 years. And just a note. I still have dreams about my training and other aspects now many years later.

#64 Thinkingstuff, Dec 16, 2010
  5. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

Some schools may have what could be called a "mature" or "executive" (or some other moniker) curriculum. For example, at my school, those over 40 can opt for a curriculum that does not include jumping. Your flexibility and dexterity can improve over time. Don't look at age as being a hinderance. Start where you are, and get where you can.

How does Okinawan Karate "stack up"? Generally speaking, it is not the specific art, but the practioner that is effective. Speak to several instructors in your area to find out how they would work with you and your starting point.