1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Product Sales Put at $4 Billion Plus

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Jul 11, 2001.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

As Christian retailers prepare to meet for their annual convention, trade industry officials say Christian product sales exceeded $4 billion in 2000.

A recent survey showed sales by member suppliers of CBA, formerly the Christian Booksellers Association, were slightly more than $4 billion last year. The total was based on data from 539 companies, including book and Bible publishers and firms specializing in music, gifts and apparel.

The breakdown of the sales is as follows: books and Bibles, $1.77 billion; gifts, $822 million; music, $747 million; and other products, $661 million. Other products include stationery, church supplies, software, curriculum and apparel.

More than 13,000 delegates are expected to attend the 52nd convention of the CBA beginning Monday and continuing through Thursday of this week in Atlanta, Ga.

(http://www.latimes.com/news/religion/20010707/t000055817.html)

2. word_digger

word_digger New Member

The last time I was back in the U.S. (I work overseas) and visited a "Christian" Bookstore I noticed that they were selling "Christian Novels" and "Christian Rap" music. Frankly, although I see a need for selling Bibles and Church supplies, in my opinion the commercialization of the Christian faith, and those that exploit the faith for profit, are no better than the money changers in the Temple. :mad:

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm totally with you that people use Christinaity for profit and its terrible. I was in a "Christian" book store recently, and while it was down to earth (despite enough "Prayer of Jabez" material such as books, picture frames etc, to compose a shrine) they were selling Rosery beeds. I can't think any evangelical Christian could sell Rosery beeds without either not be truly Christian or letting the desire for a profit overrun the truth.

However, I wouldn't nessisarily say the Christian Rap music is bad. There are some rappers out there that have a heart for the Lord. Some were rappers before their converstion and wish to glorify God with their gifts. Some have always been walking with God, but find rap music a geninune outlet for their worship. It might come as a shock to us more conserative types, but how can something offered to God with thanksgiving and meant to glorify Him then be considered bad?

4. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

I agree with word_digger on this one. There are probably a lot of people hungering for good Godly material to study along with their Bible and can't afford it because it is only for sale for an outrageous price. Many companies are out their pimping God's Word instead of spreading it. Don't get me wrong, I am not a screaming liberal always wanting something. for nothing. The question is why does a good piece of literature cost almost 3 times as much as a piece of worldly filth? And why are most "Christian" bookstores selling more and more filth themselves and pass it off as Christian?
    :mad:

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Bob Landis ]

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Bob Landis ]

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pure and simple genius:
    It might come as a shock to us more conserative types, but how can something offered to God with thanksgiving and meant to glorify Him then be considered bad?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's how:

"And in the process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the gournd an offering unto the Lord.
    And Abel, he also brought of the firstling of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
    But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell."

Genesis 4:3-5

6. 1 st Lady

1 st Lady New Member

I have to say that I have found much of the Christian Supplies as a growth tool for myself. I enjoyed the book "The Prayer of Jabez" to be very encouraging. I think with anything in life things can be taken to extreme. I don't believe I should be reading anything more than my bible. I totally don't agree with Rosery Beads. As far as pricing I spent a great sum of money on things in the word. People spend thousands on racing or any other hobby that they may have. I did myself. I always made sure I had what I needed to fullfill my worldly lust. I would dare say that compared to other industries this would not be a great sum of money. I can also testify that God has always supplied my needs and blessed me as I have made purchases to help be become a better worker for him.