Christian Robin Hoods

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BillyShope, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyShope

BillyShope
    Expand Collapse

Strange, isn't it, that it would be difficult to find a professing Christian who would condone the practice of armed robbery, but there are many of the same group who approve when somebody else holds the gun.

Here in Florida, we experience many tornados. In fact, when you consider the land area and the population, it is...by far...the most dangerous state when it comes to tornados. Yesterday, tornados caused a great deal of damage and...of far greater importance...the loss of many lives. Immediately, our Senator Nelson was saying that the federal government's place is to provide emergency aid. And many...if not most...professing Christians would agree. In other words, it's all right for the feds to put a gun to the head of someone in Hawaii and say that he must assist financially someone in Florida, but they just don't want to hold the gun. They wish, instead, to take the position of vicarious Robin Hoods.

Senator Nelson...and others of his ilk...should be impeached for violation of their oath to support the Constitution, but, of course, with so many good Christians supporting him, this is not about to happen.

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I support him! I see that too many people are too selfish to care about helping others in need.

3. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

Billy,
    I agree with you 100% We should help people beacuse we want to. Not beacuse we have too.

I also agree with your reasoning, the (US) Constitution does not provide for such assistance. That is the responsibility of the State. In addition, I think it is great when private organizations such as the Red Cross ect give assistiance. Though personally, I prefer to give my donations thru Christian organizations. Victims not only need physical help, they need spiritual help as well.

Salty

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus
    Expand Collapse

It's part of the plan. Re-distribution of wealth.

People need help, I know....but why do they stay?

Bartimaeus

5. DeeJay

DeeJay
    Expand Collapse

I dont have so much a problem with "emergency aid" as I do with long term welfair. The goverment should use money wisely to protect citizens and help get them back on their feet. However they (We) should not support people who can work but will not.

However emergency aid should be minimum aid. Just what is needed for them to survive and get back up. The check cards given out in New Orlens were to much.

If the goverment did not spend on everything and anything giving money to whoever does not want to work, they would have more then enough money floting around to help in emergencys.

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

Armed robbery? Don't you think your analogy is a little bit over the top? :rolleyes:

7. Bobby

Bobby
    Expand Collapse

I dont think so...pay taxes so we can give them to people we feel neccessary or go to jail. That seems forceful to me.

Welfare is the same, people that really need a little supplement in their life ok...but a bunch of lazy people, that wont work, that smoke cigarettes, that drink booze, that have nice new clothes(name brand) are mooching of the government because they can, not because they need to.

Welfare = the government stealing money out of working peoples check to pay people that wont work...very simple.

The government doesnt have any money to give you...

8. BillyShope

BillyShope
    Expand Collapse

As someone has said, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. So, it is with complete agreement that I quote Chairman Mao on this particular matter: Political power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Resist the enforcement of even the most minor offense against the state and...eventually...lethal force might be used. You WILL comply, one way or the other.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

Oh, boo-hoo, I have to pay taxes because the government thinks defense, education, and even roads are necessary. Welfare programs are not the only programs receiving tax dollars. On average only 17% of all government, (local, state, and federal), social spending is for means-tested programs for the poor (food stamps, section 8, medicaid, SSI, and welfare). Of that 17% Medicaid by far is the most expensive taking up a whopping 9%. TANF, or welfare, on average is about 2.6% of all government spending on social programs, and about 1.7% of all government spending period.

Honestly, IMO, it is easy for us to bash "welfare", because there is a preconceived idea that most of the recipients are lazy drunken sleazeballs who refuse to work. This idea could not be farther from the truth. And as far as the governemnt not having any money to give "you", what baloney. Do you not receive protection from police, firemen, the military? Do you drive on roads? What about education, if you have children, is it possible for them to attend public school if you so choose?

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

And as far as the Bible is concerned you are required to pay your taxes, (Matthew 22:21). If you refuse to do so you are not only breaking the law of the land, but also a biblical commandment. You will get what you deserve.

11. Bobby

Bobby
    Expand Collapse

I render unto casear that which he asks for because the Saviour said to and because iI like paved roads...etc

Welfare recipients may not be that way in Fl, but I worked at a conveinient store here in ny and that was exactly how every food stamp person that came in looked like, smelled like and acted like. Of course there are exceptions, there always are.

Sluggards that choose not to work because ...well ...it would be work, biblically dont deserve food to eat.

And again I state the government doesnt have any money, they are in debt...all they have is our money to redistribute and often foolishly.:BangHead:

12. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more.

You might find this incident to be an interesting read:

www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/ellis1.html

13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

Your money IS, and always HAS been, their money. That is the cost of having a government, any government.

As far as welfare is concerned, it is sad that you have such a low opinion of people. I have actually worked with the poor, most of whom have needed some type of assistance. The majority of them are single parents, specifically single mothers. They are in no way sluggardly or lazy, nor do they sit all day eating bon bons and buying expensive clothing. Again I think you have a preconceived idea about what a welfare recipient actually is.

14. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

No matter how much one might disagree the constitution does allow for it.

The legislature has deemed that government social spending is necessary for the general welfare of the US. The only limit the consitution places on Congress, as far as taxation is concerned, deals specifically with the type of tax, not where the money will be spent. If you do not agree the only recourse you have is to try to elect a person who agrees with you, but even so I doubt it will be changed.

15. Bobby

Bobby
    Expand Collapse

Like I said there are exceptions, and I have seen those exceptions and I have seen the ones who fit perfectly my description...

If you have the courage you can listen to a great sermon pertaining to the matter...

Here:

16. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Government officials have deemed lots of things necessary that are, at best, constitutionally dubious.

17. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

The courage for what?

18. canadyjd

canadyjd
    Expand Collapse

Absolute nonsense.

peace to you:praying:

19. Bobby

Bobby
    Expand Collapse

To listen to the opposing veiw...preaching style, instead of typed words.

Some just dont like preaching, if you do you will like this!

20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

To best understand this issue, please read the below essay from one of America's heroes...

Not Yours To Give by Col. David Crockett
    US Representative from Tennessee

And ponder the words of Alex Tytler...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.