1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian School dress code

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the website following a long list of acceptable clothes:

Every item of clothing mentioned is fashioned and conformed according to the world. Polo shirts and sweaters are not the exclusive domain of Christians. Just thinking out loud.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree Padre. If we are to not be conformed to the world in dress, I'm not sure what we COULD wear. All of that is "worldly". ;)

But I think it's acceptable. They are actually more free in what they can wear than when I went to Catholic school and when my brother went to Christian school. A skort 3" above the knee bone would send you straight to hell in the 80s!

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like the students have lots of wiggle room for style preference while still maintaining the uniform. That's good. I really like the fact that girls are allowed to wear slacks and capris.

There are two things I would change. First, not all sweaters need a shirt underneath. There are many modest sweaters girls can wear, depending on the style, that don't need a shirt underneath for modesty. So for me, that rule is a little strict, but I can understand why it's there as not all sweaters and body types are alike.

Two, and this is a real biggie in my book. I would let the kids wear tennis shoes in addition to non-athletic shoes. My daughters and I all must wear orthotics, and the only shoes we can get to fit correctly with orthotic usage is a certain brand of tennis shoes. I ruined my feet in grade school and college due to the dress codes requiring non-athletic shoes, and now I'm really paying the price for it health-wise. This is a huge issue for us and if a school was adamant about the shoes, my kids simply wouldn't be able to attend. So I think there should be some more leeway there, especially for medical issues.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Really? More excessive? How could it get even more excessive? It even gets down to what color socks and what color belts are to be worn. Kind of silly IMHO.

At our school, it's simple. We have polo shirts with the school logo and uniform bottoms (slacks, shorts or skirts) bought at the school uniform store. In addition, students may also wear other bottoms which meet the same standard (color, length, material, style, etc.) of the uniforms. There's a bit more, but it's pretty much that simple. In other words students, God gave you a brain - use it and do the right thing. We have very few (if any) problems with this approach.

Also on game days, the football team and baseball team wear shirt and ties -- though they are not told exactly what color shirts and what color ties they should wear. Again, high school students can pretty much figure how to dress themselves.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Change it?

I would correct all the misspellings, etc:

collard?
    Capri's?
    tatoos?

Come on now.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Parents with kids in schools that specify a school uniform say it makes their lives easier and less expensive.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'd be more concerned with their ability to teach grammar than with what their dress code states. :laugh:
    Who would send their kiddos off for an education at a place that can't even get that part straight? Yikers! I can hear the kids now..."Sorry, but if you can't spell it, I shouldn't have to wear it!" hehehehe

9. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that some "Christian education" is neither Christian or education. Instead, it's all about following the rules -- of which there are often many, many rules. Not saying that this is the situation in this case, just what I have seen. I've even seen student conduct codes that do not allow teens to attend concerts -- even contemporary Christian concerts. It seems like attending these items would be parental issues, not school issues, eh?

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well, if there has to be a dress code, this one is not the worst I've seen and would be easy enough to abide by.

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the stuff in the box that explains how they came up with the dress code and let the parents decide how to fulfill it. But that's just me and I'm not a dress code kinda person.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Or you can look at the Liberty University banner in the BB that reads "Training a Champions for Christ"

Really??