1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian School policy

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently those hurt feelings have cause students to treat each other poorly interrupting the school day. This can be a bigger deal in small Christian schools.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which I will answer if you answer this:

Imagine you're in the break room at work with a dozen other people and a co-worker walks in and says "I'm having a football viewing party on Saturday afternoon. Tom, Bill, John, and Stan--you're invited and I hope to see you there." Would you like that?

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a former teacher, I do agree with the policy. School is about school and school events like ballgames, band competitions, etc. Private parties are not the school's responsibility and don't need to get dragged into school.

What the school really means by "hurt feelings" has to do with bullying, and believe me, it's alive and well even in our Christian schools. Try talking an elementary or middle school aged girl out of suicide and you won't be calling them wimps or sissies anymore. It may seem innocent to pass out birthday invitations, but in reality it is just another tool used by bullies to belittle and humiliate others. I've seen firsthand the damage done by Christian school bullies, and it's not pretty. As parents and teachers we have a duty to curb any inappropriate behavior used as a tool to hurt others. That doesn't mean every child having a birthday party is a bully--it just means we see a potential for division and hurt and want to avoid it.

As a Christian parent, I want my kids to learn Christlike behavior, which means treating others with kindness and respect. It includes not giving cause for offense when it can be easily avoided.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good post. When I was teaching I had the same policy even in junior high. The Christian school classroom, IMNSHO, is not the place to teach kids how to toughen up. I don't want my classroom to be the place where one or two children are left out.

Selfishly I am the one who would have to deal with the hurt feelings. Let's say two friends had just been through a row and in order to hurt the child a student invites everyone but their friend. I shouldn't have to deal with this and still try teach.

Keep this stuff out of the educational environment.

Let parents who want to teach a 'suck it up' attitude do it outside my classroom. Don't pass that off on the teacher.

#24 NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013