1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian sciences fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by John3v36, Nov 19, 2006.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to read a lot of sci-fi and other types of fiction, but lately I cannot read any fiction. It all just grates on me. I can only read non-fiction now.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you read fiction every time you read one of our Lord's beautiful parables! :jesus:

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you wish to call many of Jesus's words fiction then go ahead, but I will tell you one thing. Science fiction writers are not Jesus.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter what I call the words of Jesus. It matters what they are. Parables were an extended metaphor, a fictional way Jesus used to teach truth. Story-telling has a long and honorable tradition in many cultures. Fiction is not lying, it is not dishonest, it is not sinful. It is what it is, story-telling.

There were parables in the OT, too, you know. And John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress is fiction--a wonderful book it is, too!
    Well good grief, absolutely not!!!! How absolutely foolish it would be to think so! :jesus:

5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that fiction was all those things. I just said I didn't read fiction. Why are you so against my personal choice?

BTW, I am just not convinced that the stories Jesus told are fiction. I think that they could be real.

#25 TC, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to offend, so I apologize. I'm not against your choice at all--good for you.

I must have received a wrong impression, since my thought was that by your posting on this particular thread you must be rebuking those on the thread who liked SF or other types of fiction. I saw no other reason for you to all of a sudden say on this particular thread that you didn't read fiction.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a fellowship thread, so I'll only say that I've never heard of anyone who thought the parables were true stories. If you would like to debate this, start a thread in the debate forum and I'll meet you there.

No hard feelings.:wavey:

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I replied on this thread because it is in the books/publications forum and is about science fiction, so I figured it was as good a spot as any to interject. There has been so many health problems/ illnesses in my family the last couple of years that I have had to cut some things out. Fiction is the latest one. It may not be a permanent ban. I'll just have to wait and see.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that makes sense. :thumbs: I am sure the Lord will take you and your family through all of the problems.

God bless. :wavey: