1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

christian scientists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jlee12489, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jlee12489

jlee12489 New Member

this might be a little lenghty.
    i met somebody who is a "christian scientist".
    i know the basics of this religion, but can anybody tell me about these false teachings and how to refute what they believe?

Also, can you answer these questions?
    1. The Bible states that God created Adam in His image in Genesis 1:27, and then states that He created him again through dust in Genesis 2:7. So christian scientists believe that humans are physically in an unreality world and have another spiritual form. They believe that human are "ideas that are fundamentally pure and perfect and the physical form doens't exist" Does anybody know the explanation for these verses?

2. The book of Genesis says that Adam fell asleep but it never stated that he woke up. So they belive that everything, the whole old testament, is part of adam's dream. Any explanations?

Also, they don't believe in the literal translation of the Bible (mainly because of how "adam never woke up and everything in the Bible is a dream or symbolic") How can i show this person that the Bible is literal? I never met a christian scientist before. Also, can somebody explain to me about what a person is made of? (example: flesh, spirit, etc.) and give me some verses also?
    thanks

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no reasoning with Christian Scientists because they live in their own reality: this world is a dream.

My mother has a elderly great aunt that is a Christian Scientist.

She's blind, crippled and becoming slightly demented in her old age.

She has supported her "ministry" for decades with her meager income and now they have abandoned her because she is crotchety, combative and confused.

She still pays hundreds of dollars each month to be allowed to call a "reader" who prays for her (but never visits), in fact the reader doesn't even listen to her concerns or talk to her, just the connection is enough; all he says is "I will pray".

Mark Twain wrote a book on the confused CHRISTIAN SCIENTIST"S, it's sadly still applicable.
    There is no reasoning with them.

Rob

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Rev 1 and in Exodus God's "Form" is described. You also have the "Form" of angels described by Ezekiel. We have a "notion" that they can't really be telling "the truth" since God and angels are not allowed to have a form (in our all-knowing opinion).

But suppose the speculative guesswork common today "is wrong" and suppose that like the risen Christ - they all have some "Form".

In that case - Man may well have been made, in Character, in physical form, "like" God (in some way). Whether it is the just that we have two feet, two hands and one head as God is described to have in the Bible - or whether it goes beyond that I don't know - but I tend to "Believe" the Bible when it discribes God (especially if it is coming from someone viewing God) and I tend to believe it when it says that Man was FORMED in the image of God (in some way - likely to be physical given the context of FORMING man from the dust).

That view puts a nail in the Christian-Science doctrinal coffin.

In Christ,

Bob

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Christian Scientist???? It sounds like an oxymoron(sp?) to me? [​IMG] Well like the saying goes..."learn something new every day" .... I guess? Thanks for the info ~Deacon and Bob~ [​IMG]

Music4Him

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christian Apologetics and Research Ministries has a pretty decent page on Christian Science and Questions to Ask Christian Scientists

Wikipedia - Christian Science is always good for relatively unbiased information but they won't help much in terms of a response from a Christian perspective.