1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Software

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Don, Dec 9, 2002.

1. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

This would work for member/guest management. It doesn't currently have any financial functions, but they may be on the way.

Are we wanting a full fledged accounting system or just something to track tithes/offerings?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    InHim, I think you may have missed the point of why I started this thread.

I have no intention of charging for the efforts I put forth in this endeavor. Anything I create for this project will be offered as public domain (freeware).

The target audience is not hugely computer literate, doesn't have a serious financial base, and for the most part, probably thinks they need to get something on a computer, but pencil and paper is working just fine because most of the programs out there are too expensive and/or too complicated to use, and/or require computer degrees to work with.

If this causes a parting of the ways, my apologies for not making myself clear in the first place.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James, interesting application. It's going to take me time (that I don't have this week) to seriously look that over and see if I can get into the guts of it.

JCrowe, the idea I'm implementing is an old one: "modularization."

Starting with membership/visitor tracking is 100% acceptable, but we also need to keep in mind expandability to other areas (financial tracking, word processing, and whatever else people think of).

I don't believe a full-fledged financial package like Quicken or MS Money is required; simple is always better (and less code bloat).

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

A web-based app is a really good idea, but it has one major drawback: most people (myself included) would be less likely to use something where my data (membership lists, financial records, etc.) were stored on a server somewhere on the internet instead of on my own machine. Plus, as someone mentioned, most small churches don't have an internet connection, because of the expense (or even because of the tying up of the church's only phone line). Thus, my vote goes to the core being stand-alone, Windows-based. I would also want to avoid having the user set up his own webserver, SQL database, etc. It should be as easy as possible to set up and use. We could have web-based add-ons, updates, etc, but it should be usable without ever touching the web.

If it's decided that we *should* go web-based, I recommend including information about free web providers to minimize cost for the churches.

Just my opinion. [​IMG]

5. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

I agree that stand-alone, windows based is the best solution. However, I don't know much about programming C/C++, so I have no idea how big of a project we would be looking at. I have a little experience with python & perl. What language do you think would work best.

The reason I lean toward web-based is because that is where I am most comfortable. You know the saying "when all you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail". [​IMG]

jcrowe

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Since, like you, all I have is a hammer. My hammer is C/C++. [​IMG]

Maybe we should try to incorporate both stand-alone and web-based aspects into the project, so people with various areas of skill can all contribute.

Brian

7. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

This would be fine with me, though a typical windows based app would probably meet the needs of the greatest number of people.

I took a C++ programming class about a two years ago and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind learning more C++ in order to be able to contribute.

Jason

8. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Here's a church management package that looks real nice at a very reasonable price.

MinistryWare

9. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

This thread is the BaptistBoard at its best [​IMG]

[ January 11, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: webmaster ]

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

This software is priced at $89.95

I'll download the free demo and let you know what I think.

11. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I downloaded the demo version [​IMG] and I like it a lot.

It's very user-friendly. It's easy enough for a novice computer user to perform the various tasks.

I recommend this product to everyone. [​IMG]

12. LindaB

LindaB New Member

i am not a programmer, nor desire to be, but if you need help with the graphic design,let me know!
    I was approached by a large company to design interfaces, etc, for s similiar project ,but their goal was $$$$$$$$ and lots of it, so i declined. would love to help out if you need it, CD cover, etc. (no charge of course)
    Linda
    ChristianGraphicDesign.com

13. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

This is GREAT!! Christians linking cyber-arms in a project to help the family, even though they have never met, or have never met a large part of the Believers they may be able to help.
    Kind of reminds one of John 13:34-35, eh?
    --------------
    By the way, I use a Mac, and have found the OnlineBible to be a great tool, with a lot of features. Very user frienly,(of course, that could be because it is a Mac program
    :D )

I have tried the Accordance program, but it is very peculiar in the way it operates.

One that I do like is The Master Christian Library, by Ages Software www.ageslibrary.com
    It uses Acrobat reader .pdf format, so works cross platform. It has over 500 reference works on 2 CDs, including the church fathers, Thayers's Greek/English lexicon, many Spurgeon titles, Wesley, Dwight L. Moody, Matthew Henry concise, the Fundamentals, complete works of Jonathan Edwards, etc.

Also, at www.ccel.org there is a library that can be read online, many of the classics.