1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Spirituality

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Speedpass, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone here dealt with the works of Richard Foster and others of his ilk? On Sunday nites at my church recently, we've been having studies about the Emerging Chruch and how teachers like Foster are actually promoting questionable practices, such as centering prayer. 16 years ago on a spring break BSU retreat, our director led in a Bible Study featuring Foster's literature; and to me it seemed like all he wanted us to do was prove the existence of God. :BangHead:

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean the Richard Foster who wrote A Celebration of Discipline?

The Archangel

3. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the Richard Foster I'm referring to.

4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read Foster's A Celebration of Discipline. It was some time ago and my memory may be a bit fuzzy on everything. I do remember that I thought the book was wonderful, as far as the disciplines were concerned. I also remember that he is a quaker or something like that.....I thought that had a significant impact on the book. (Duh! of course it would).

Don Whitney's Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life is, in my opinion, a better book on the disciplines.

I was unaware of completely far-out things in Foster's writings. Can you elaborate more?

The Archangel