1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian sports fans

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Oct 27, 2004.

?
  1. Having licensed team colors, insignia, images, et al, as a large portion of one's clothing

11.8%
  2. Having bumper stickers and license plate frames with team colors and insignia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Paying a ticket scalper several times the face value of a ticket for a “big game”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buying extra tickets to a “big game” with intention to scalp the tickets for profit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shouting violent exhortations from the stands [i.e., “Kill him!”; “Knock his head off!”]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cheering an injury to a player on the opposing team

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Being rude to fans wearing the opposing team’s colors & insignia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Having one’s face painted with the team’s colors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Throwing objects at the opposing team’s players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Throwing objects at fans cheering for the opposition

35.3%
  11. Joining in chants which jeer the opposing team’s school or city

29.4%
  12. Joining in berating chants such as “____ sucks!"

11.8%
  13. Expressing <i>hatred</i> for the opposition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Fracturing the opponent’s name, signs, or symbols [i.e., waving their flag upside down, distorting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Displaying “good luck charms,” like mascot images (even if one does not really believe in them)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Booing the officials’ calls that go against one’s team

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Booing the officials’ calls that go against one’s team <i>if the fan knows it is the right call</i>

5.9%
  18. Refusing to shake hands with a victorious opposing fan who offers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Going on to the playing field, in opposition to stadium rules, because hundreds of other fans are do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I can think of other things fans sometimes do that Christians should have no part in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. There is nothing wrong with a Christian fan doing any of these things

5.9%
  22. No answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a poll about certain types of fan behavior and priorities for people who are both Christian and sports fans. The questions should be seen as applying to any sport, although with football in midseason it may be considered to be oriented toward that one.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although there are only 7 votes so far, it seems being a Christian makes little if any difference in the types of behavior sports fans are known for. Most do not oppose face painting, shouting "Kill him!", jeering the opposition, or scalping tickets.

One thing of interest I notice about fan behavior is booing the officials' calls, regardless of whether it is the right call. 4 out of 7 said it is wrong to do this if the fan knows it is the right call, but only 1 said it is wrong to boo the calls without that condition. So, what are fans dissing when they boo the calls that go against their team? The fact that it still may be right and they think the officals should have cheated in their favor? or are they so biased they can't possibly see any call against their team as being 'right'? is gambling the root of it, where anything in your team's favor goes, anything against it is to be condemned, right or wrong? or is it simply like childsplay-- "I get the best, because I"M ME!"? (which goes along with the idea that sports are life's "toy department").

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

My family, friends and co-workers consider me a big, big football fan (I hate the word fanatic); however, they know that I am a bigger fan of Jesus Christ. I just wish that Professional Football was played on Saturday nights, and all others (college and high school) were on Friday nights. Of course, teams' TV revenue would take a big hit. Youth football could continue to be played on Saturday. Sadly, more and more youth sports are even being played on Sunday.

4. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

A lot of the stuff mentioned is not just bad fan behavior as Christians, but is just bad behavior as fans in general. Maybe I just hang out with a better sports crowd, but I've never considered Candlestick/3Com/Monster Park to be a overly polite crowd... but maybe it is better than other stadiums.

I'm a Season Ticket holder and attend all the home games of the SF 49ers (well, I gave one pre-season pair to my Pastor, and one to a foster care agency, so I guess that should be "regular season" home games.) Some times my wife and I go and the kids stay with grandparents, some times it's me and each kid one at a time for "bonding" time, some times the whole family goes when we pick up extra tickets.

With the exception of pre-season and one regular season game, all are on Sunday. Obviously since I must drive a few hours to the game and several hours back, I miss church that Sunday. I've never considered it "sinful" or evil, but then again we also miss church a bit in the summer as we camp quite often too... but I digress. I'm sure someone holier than thou could happily use that as a chance to feel more self righteous though.

Anyway, I follow the team, but I mostly pinpoint key players. For example, Todd Peterson and Scott Gragg are both Christian atheletes that are very open about their faith (see their profiles at http://www.thegoal.com/players/football/peterson_todd/peterson_todd.html and http://www.thegoal.com/players/football/gragg_scott/gragg_scott.html.)

I remember one game on TV where Gragg was "miked," they caught him and Peterson talking and Peterson was saying "I've been praying for him" referring to the opposing team's kicker. The sound was quickly cut off. Also in a post game interview, Peterson was once cut off shortly after mentioning "there was only one perfect human."

I was never really a big football fan, but my wife always was (ex-cheerleader, family of cheerleaders including 2 who participated in pro-bowl activities.) I had went to a men's retreat long ago and remembered something Norm Evans had said... "if you want to get your wife interested in football, get her to know the players."

Well, I tried this on myself since I was the non-fan, and started seeking out Christian players on the 49ers and the rest is history (SF & Oakland are the two closest teams, and Oakland games are a very family-unfriendly crowd.)

Now as for youth sports on Sunday... they started that here in my area in one league. I would *never* let my kid participate in a league that had Sunday anything. Maybe they were all Seventh Day Adventists though, now that I ponder the situation.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In our town, the youth leagues play both on Saturday and Sunday. Here's the rationale:

1 - There's simply not enough ball fields to accomodate of the games on Saturday. (Note: games are played during the week as well.) And, there's no available to space to build more ball parks.

2 - We have a relatively large Jewish population and we expect them to play on Saturday. At least the Sunday games do not start until the afternoon.

6. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you expect Jews to play on Saturday? Let them have Sunday!

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

We go to two church services on Sunday (morning and evening). If my daughter's games are scheduled in between the services, she plays. If they are scheduled during our church services, we go to church. This is the way it is, and she does not have a problem with it. It is up to each individual (including the Jews) to determine what is right for their life, and their families.