1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Theme Parks - Godly entertainment or tacky?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What do you all think of Christian theme parks? Is it tacky to have these as entertainment, or do you think they are good alternatives?

I've never been to one, but for some reason, they don't appeal to me.

2. whatever

whatever New Member

I've never heard of a Christian theme park. What makes a theme park Christian? It makes me wonder whether Jesus died for all theme parks or only for a select few.

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

I suppose it could be how you define it.
    I have been many times to Silver Dollar City, just outside of Branson, MO.
    It is owned by the same people who own part of Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN.
    These people are Christians and unapologetic about it.
    Silver Dollar City has an inhouse Gospel quartet, many Gospel singing events, a church where real weddings can occur, living Nativity scenes at Christmas with a clear presentation of Who Jesus is. We wouldn't think of missing the train ride to the cabin every Christmas to hear Grandpa tell about Jesus' birth.
    But the message is not crammed down peoples' throats.

There is a lot of just plain fun there. Roller coasters, water parks, all sorts of shows, crafts for sale.
    Various festivals and emphases at different times of the year. I'm looking forward to our next visit!
    We have season passes every year.

#3 Karen, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Washington Post had a big article on one in Florida that is controversial. They have soldiers dressed like Roman guards standing around and biblical scenes from the Bible, plus rides and games. I meant to post the link here and part of the article but did not save it and can't recall now the name of the Park.

The controversy comes with taxes on the property as the man who runs it claims some kind of exemption, I think.

But I was not asking about that but rather just what people thought. I guess maybe not enough people know about it to give their thoughts! :smilewinkgrin:

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

When I think of them, I think Jim and Tammy Bakker. I dont see the point in them.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.holylandexperience.com/

The park is called The Holy land Experience. It is owned by a Messianic Jew. I cant remember his name. Rosenthal I think. It is an actual ministry as it isnt really an amusement park. It houses actual artifacts. It has reenactments of Temple Worship. check out the web site.

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

We've been to this one and really enjoyed it.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I've never been to a Christian theme park, but I've been to a Christian restaurant and I love it!

All they play is Christian music - no smoking - no alcohol - no cussing - employees neatly groomed and polite - don't open until after church on Sunday - is always packed - delicious food - modest prices.

I am all for ANY Christian endeavor. We need more of them.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I find things like this rather silly myself. The last thing we need are more "holy huddles" where the world around us cannot see our salt and light.

Also, I think many times things like this just become about money. Let's market "Christian" stuff to draw a crowd and make more $$. As someone else mentioned, it can quickly become like the Baker empire that fell.

If you want to go to a theme park then by all means go and enjoy yourself and look for ways to share the love of Christ through your actions and words.

#9 PastorSBC1303, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Said park was run by Ken Hovind, aka "Dr. Dino." He is a creationist and young-earth guy. Very persuasive and powerful speaker. But he's gotten increasingly kooky lately, and had come to the conclusion that he didn't have to pay taxes for anything--payroll, income, withholding on employees, etc.

Needless to say, the IRS has...um...disagreed.

Dr. Dino won't be lecturing for, oh, 15-20 years or so.

I know several folks who went to his park. Some said it was OK--most of my buds said it was kind of cheesy.

[/hijack]

11. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

I am not sure calling a theme park that includes a water park where boys and girls, men and women swimming and running around with hardly a stitch of clothing on 'Christian,' is right. If that is considered Christian, this world is a mess.

The swimwear that is considered ok by many women has less material than the undergarments they wear under their clothes.

And we know they won't be seen walking around in public in them.

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

Diggin,
    If you were responding to my list of what is at Silver Dollar City, there are all kinds of water parks. I have never seen a swimsuit at SDC other than on very young children. At SDC, what I mean by water park is rides that you can get wet on. But you usually don't get very wet. There is also a "harbor" where kids can spray water hoses around at different objects.
    Christians do indeed differ in their standards, but what I have seen there is very innocuous and clothed.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you sure?

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The contoversy on the Holy Land Experience is that Rosenthal has filed to make the park a ministry 5013c non profit. There is some debate as to whether it should qualify as such.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Do I ever agree with you Pastor. Too often we find our comfort in retreating from the real world into our little "holy huddles" where we need not defile ourselves with the filthy masses of sinners. Who knows, you might even end up eating with publicans and sinners and we sure couldn't have that now, could we?

Go ye into all the world - don't retreat from it with Christian theatres, amusement parks, restaurants, bowling allies, etc.

The idea of a Christian amusement park is more evidence for a "neo-monasticism" where we don't all live in physical monasteries, but we retreat to them as often as we can, leaving the world with no light and no salt.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, never having been to one, I'd offer that one could certainly offer "Godly entertainment". And still be 'tacky', as well.

Ed

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How is this different from any other Christian business (bookstore, T-shirt maker, record label etc) that it would qualify as a non-profit? I'm not suggesting you believe it is. I'm just wondering if they have any basis for this application.

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ken's IRS problems are not a "lately" thing but have been around as far back as 1996 when he unsuccessfully applied for bankruptcy to avoid paying taxes.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I havent given any amount of thought to whether they should have non-profit status. However to answer your question it would depend on if the purpose of the organization has the intent of making a profit.

I have been to the park. It is most certainly God glorifying, and educational. If your looking for entertainment this really isnt the place to go.

20. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I dropped by the website and I agree, it doesn't really look like entertainment but is more like a cultural experience. Although I wonder how true to the culture they can really be while still attracting a large enough consumer base to stay running. That is probably a general issue with most cultural museums. It is an interesting idea though and definitely has a very "American" feel to it.