1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian women w/ Authority over men

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by donnA, Feb 10, 2005.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

What are your thoughts of Christian owmen with authority over Christian men in a Christian setting(not the work place necessarily, but where therre is Bible talk and Bible study), even if it is outside of the church?
    I'm not really sure what the question is, so just jump in with whatever your thoughts are.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If someone asks me a question about the Bible or Jesus, I will give them an answer (if I have it) whether it be male or female.

Not sure that is what you're asking, but that's the way I see it.

Contrary to popular belief, women CAN lead men to the Lord...

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yes, i will answer too nomatter who it is. But I was wondering about a christian setting. Like possible home bible study, or any other place that is a christian place, with bible discussion, whether chruch or not.

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

donnA,

Have been working on a lenghty post to this issue, but have been focused on more pressing issues. Hope to post before too many more weeks pass.

Ray

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'll be sure to read it when your ready.

I was thinking and had to come back and say I am maybe thinking of a power position in a christian setting, with authority over men, not just answering question or even just talking baout scripture.
    I still don't know for sure, but I'm getting it figured out.

6. I Am Blessed 24

Are you talking about with your husband and children or having a group of people in?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

unrelated christian men

8. I Am Blessed 24

Well, as a moderator, I don't have authority over the men (or women) who post on the BB, but I DO have authority over their posts - that doesn't mean they listen... :D

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

men not listen? surely you jest [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I believe women should not have authority over men in bible study, or anything like that. A man should lead.

Rachel

11. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Women should not have authority over men in teaching God's word, they should not attempt to lead or remove their authority at home, but witnessing is a different story.
    It's a personal testimony about what God has done in your life,a time to share Biblical verse that His great love and forgiveness is offered to all who call out to Him.

Unless of course you happen to be on an outing with your husband and he wants to do the witnessing..then we step back.

Wife know thy place.
    Totem pole rating (under the man)

12. gopchad

gopchad New Member

(1 Timothy 2:12 KJV) But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Not being cheuvanistic(sp?), just what the Bible says. If a womn wants to lead other women or young children fine, but the Bible clearly states that women are to take the back seat in instances where there are men present. Not popular in American culture today, but it is still the Bible truth. Unfortunatley men have not stepped up in leadership like they should in some churches and then the women almost feel obligated to step in, but it is still not scriptural.

Chad

13. Linscott

Linscott New Member

I agree that in a formal teaching setting in the church the men need to teach the men, women, and children and the women should take the opportunities available to teach other women and children. In other informal or on-the-spot times such as a discussion in a Bible study or witnessing opportunities, I do not see Scriptural evidence that a woman is to remain silent. We are commanded to be lights in the dark world. However, I so think that the woman needs to remember her place and guard her tongue, especially when her husband is present. (note: I do think that the verse in the previous post would not allow for a woman to lead a Bible study when there are men attending.) Jennifer

14. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Know your place" is very condescending language. It's what they used to say to slaves, and free blacks as recently as the 60's. Please find some other phrase to express your meaning. Thanks.

15. jim62

jim62 New Member

16. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Would you find woman know thy totem pole status to be acceptable?

No offense was meant in the women know thy place statement.

I know of no other way to put it. Truth is truth.
    Younger women of today have no intention of letting the man be the head of household nor are they willing to accept that God states clearly how it is to be (or should be) between the wife and her husband. It stand up for equality when in truth the woman wasn't meant to lead in marriage.

17. I Am Blessed 24

A woman cannot step into a place of authority that belongs to a male unless the male steps down...

We are not to usurp authority over men. What if the man gives up his authority.

Is it still ursurping or do we leave the space, he occupied, unattended?

18. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

THAT's A GOOD QUESTION..

Are you talking about a lone woman running household?

Or the man CHOOSING not to lead the family?

I've not met a man who doesn't want to lead the family..But I've seen plenty of men whose positions have been usurped by the wife because he just isn't leading in a manner she likes.

19. I Am Blessed 24

A man CHOOSING not to lead the family.

I have seen plenty of men who do not WANT to lead a family. They would rather not have the responsibility.

In a case like this, I don't think a woman, with children, has much choice but to step in or see her kids go to 'pot'.

20. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The man Is the head. I Cor. 11 and Eph. 5 both state that plainly. He can't choose not to be. Some are good heads, some are losuy, but he is still the head. A woman who "steps in" because her husband won't lead has done nothing but create two people who are now disobedient to Scripture where before there was one. One person's disobedience never excuses another's.