1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity and Depression

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My dad had 3 open heart surgeries and after each one he suffered deep depression. The last time was the worst. He was put on anti depressants then and it pulled him out of the pit. He was told that depression was a normal result of major surgery. After each surgery, he also experienced a difference in the type of food he ate. What was once delicious to him, afterwards was yucky. Your whole body is shocked by the trauma of major surgery.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is No Doubt....

.... that heart surgery, and any other kind of surgery, often results in some form of depression. I think a lot of it has to do with the reality of facing eminent death. There is also a lot of anger, guilt, and unresolved feelings that those who come through life changing surgery have as a result of the stress building up to the surgery itself.

A lot of those feelings are stuffed way down in a persons psyche, and it's bound to come out once the events of the surgery is over.

My dad, like so many of those noted previously, has triple by-pass, and like those others noted already, he suffered from a major bout of depression. He had so many feelings following his surgery, and it was so difficult for him to put them into words and express, that he fell into a depression. The problem was, in his day, depression following open heart surgery was not recognized as quickly as it is today, and my dad had to get through his darkness on his own.

My wife and I bought and paid for a trip from California to Detroit (where all of my relatives live) about 6 months after his surgery, and that train trip - with a private room - allowed my parents to see family and friends they hadn't seen in maybe 30 years, and it resulted in my dad coming back from Michigan refreshed and jubilant, and I never noticed any more depression. He lived another 2 years after the surgery, and my wife and I have never regretted spending that money to help the two of them get there spiritual swagger back.

I look at that as a form of therapy, and while it may not work for everyone suffering from surgery, it did a world of good for my dad, and helped my mom to get her husband of 48 years back to his usual self.

Just had to share, because I know what those undergoing surgery face, and experience following surgery. It is worth noting, that the more life threatening the surgery, the more profound the depression seems to be. If you have a friend or, loved one that is suffering from post-surgical depression, take the time to get them help. You won't regret doing this!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

One interesting theory I've read has to do with being put on the heart-lung machine might have something to do with it.

If I find that link, I'll post it.

Like I said...not sure of much else, but it is interesting.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Pastor Paul,
    Thanks very much for that last post.

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can freely chosen stinking thinking upset brain chemicals? I believe yes.

But I also believe biologically upset brain chemicals can cause stinking thinking.

Then you must add in health issues that can affect both thinking and brain chemicals, along with medications.

My mom suffered periodic bouts of depression through her reproductive years.

After meno, my dad had died, she was alone, and yet not depressed.

She started taking theophilline (may be misspelled!) for a lung condition. Within a week she was deeply depressed. Her dr chalked it up to being old, in ill health, and widowed. As he put it, "who wouldn't be depressed in your shoes!" Years later, new dr. She mentioned her long standing depression. He quickly said--"that's theo-dur for you! Let's get you on something else." Within a week, depression gone.

Let's never be hasty to judge the hearts of others!

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You bring up a fair point. It's not for us to judge whether the psychological or biological issues initiated depressive episodes. There's simply nothing to be gained by that kind of speculation.

But there is strong evidence that patterns of thinking can alter the chemistry of a person's mind and bring on mental instability.

That's what happened in my case, when it was brought on by unhealthy and abusive spiritual beliefs that caused me to be ridden with guilt, a perfectionist, and an unrelenting people-pleaser. I also was an extremely anxious and judgmental person.

Of course, family history and biology also, I'm sure had a lot to do with it, but this was something that built over time for me. Plus, I had no warning and a family that, though they loved God and loved me, was completely averse to consider the consequences of the beliefs and habits they instilled in me. I'm strongly convinced that I have a rampant family history of anxiety and depression, though it, of course, is undiagnosed.

I'm so thankful for grace. Grace in dealing with my broken but genuine family and grace for me in my guilt and shame.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Are Welcome..

Going through what you went through earlier this year was something no one would envy. I admire your courage.

My dad knew that his chances of survival were less than 20%, but, he was ready to go home to the Lord, and told me that he'd probably never get off the table that day.

If anything I've shared has helped to encourage you, than the post was well worth the time!

Pastor Paul:thumbsup: