1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity and Evolution -- Seeing the Problem

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .................The first of several problems with this argument, however, is that the mainstream doctrine of evolution denies that evolution can have any fixed goal at all. Nothing had to happen. Collins, others would object, has stacked the deck, so to speak. If God supposedly chose to create human beings through evolutionary processes, then evolution is not really about natural selection at all.

We can eliminate the conflict between evolution and Christianity if we redefine God to be something far less than the Creator he reveals himself to be in Genesis. If we dispense with Genesis as revealed truth, we have no problem declaring a truce between evolution and Christian belief.

Steven Waldman of Beliefnet.com makes that point well in a recent column. He argues that Darwin's challenge was not so much a challenge to the idea of God, but to the authority of the Bible. As Waldman proposed, "evolution is not really a challenge against God or Christianity even, it's a challenge to Biblical Revelation."

The conflict between Genesis and evolution is not merely over the "how" as opposed to the "why" of creation. Evolution presents a direct challenge to the entire story-line of the Bible. Efforts to resolve this challenge generally involve a misunderstanding of biblical Christianity, a misunderstanding of evolution, or a misunderstanding of both.

More Here

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree with Dr. Mohler [President of Southern Seminary] in the above statement which clearly declares that there is a conflict between evolution and Christianity. It must be noted that the concept of evolution is not limited to biologic evolution but to the entire universe. Unfortunately there may be Christians who have accepted the erroneous concept of theistic evolution.

In an earlier thread I posted the following remarks by evolutionist A. J. Mattell :

“Those liberal and neo-orthodox Christians who regard the creation stories as myths or allegories are undermining the rest of Scripture, for if there was no Adam there was no fall; and if there was no fall, there was no hell; and if there was no hell, there was no need of Jesus as Second Adam and Incarnate Savior, crucified and risen. As a result the whole biblical system of salvation collapses. .... Evolution thus becomes the most potent weapon for destroying the Christian faith.”

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've read posts from people claiming to be Christians who believe in theistic evolution. That is simply a compromise with the devil. They are basically saying, "Yes, I believe in the creation, BUT I believe that God created the world and put some form of life on it, and then He went away and left it to evolve on its own."

That concept is just as wrong as flat out denying the creation and saying that evolution is correct. When I was in high school, evolution was taught as a FACT and NOT a theory. Also, at that time, Bibles were confiscated from the students in that school and banned. Prayer was no longer allowed there, and that was in the good old USA where we allegedly have "freedom of religion".

If you ask me (OK, so maybe no one IS asking), I think this country is way too quickly becoming a nation where people have "freedom FROM religion", and it started in the 1950's with the introduction and teaching in schools of evolution. We who God said are just "A little lower than the angels" (Heb. 2:7) have been reduced to being related to monkeys, and having been originally being nothing more than an ooze in the ocean.

I've noticed that evolution is in a lot of TV shows and movies now. You rarely hear about creation; you hear about evolution and/or reincarnation. Creation rarely enters the picture.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would ask theistic evolutionists: if the Bible says that death did not enter the world until Adam's sin, then what happened to all of the "pre-evolved" people who lived before Adam?

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spiritual death. Without death (at least on some level), it would be impossible even to digest food.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me the Bible says Adam was the first man ... so there were no pre-evolved people regardless of whether you believe in Creationism or evolution.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

evolution says everything was an unplanned accident that all the right things just happened at the right time, and here we are climbing out of the goo.
    Not the least bit scriptural, but some would rather not believe God.

8. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's not Natural selection....rather Supernatural selection! John 15:16:jesus:

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: LOL.. I like that!! :laugh:

That was a good one brother!

10. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I need a bumper sticker with it!