1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity's image taking a turn for the worse

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Bro. Williams, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could it be that the constant secular indoctrination in public schools and colleges is having an effect?

To young people, sinning is "fun". Being a Christian isn't.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing more here than expected, since the media & enetrtainment (HA!) elite constantly depict us thusly.

I would estimate (from what few I've seen) that 95+% of 1) news, 2) sitcom, 3) drama, & 4) general programs never, NEVER allow a positive side of Christianity to be shown. They (Christians) are always depicted as mentally deficient/devious/hypocritical/misguided/bumbling, and/or some other negative aspect.

But did not Jesus say that the world would hate us?

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You guys should check out the book that the article's information represents. It is called UnChristian.

Could it be, perhaps, that some within the church have brought this reputation on themselves? I think the answer is a resounding yes. Check out the book...you'd find it interesting.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Have you ever stopped to think why Christianity is depicted that way?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without doubt, what you say is true.

There have been far too many well known evangelists revealed as hypocrites in the last few years. Christianiyy is constantly under attack by Satan all the time with the assistance of our education system and media.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just-want-peace
    They (Christians) are always depicted as mentally deficient/devious/hypocritical/misguided/bumbling, and/or some other negative aspect.

What do you think the reason is?

8. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Take a look at some of our debates. What would a non-Christian think about them?

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

That we are passionate about our beliefs?

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Christians have strongly held opinions about politics, I would imagine.

If they were predisposed against Christianity, they would try to use it as confirmation of their beliefs. Any port in a storm.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Or, depending on who you're listening to, or watching, that we are idiots on how we handle ourselves.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Ted Haggard, Ann Coulter, Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, and I could list more. These people are extremely different with their own problems that are revealed in the limelight (whether they admit they are problems, or not). My point is, that in our culture....these people are representatives of Christianity. Now...read back through those descriptions listed....does it make a little more sense? This is not even to mention those who are not publically known that portray Jesus in an unbiblical way.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really think it's necessary?

Do you think I didn't understand where you were headed?

I just wanted you to state it clearly. Cryptic questions will only take one so far.

Ann Coulter a symbol of Christianity? Puh-leeze.:rolleyes:

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I definitely agree....yet she has been in the news recently proclaiming how she is Christian, followed by her summary of the New Testament as being a "fast track" in comparison to the Old Testament. No matter how foolish we think these people may be, they just may be representatives of "Christianity".

15. Chessic

Chessic New Member

One difficulty I've had when witnessing with educated non-Christians is overcoming the fact that so many people have done so many awful and unbiblical things while claiming to be Christians. And every time I see Christians discussing this, they start throwing out names, damaging reputations and the morale of Christians whether the charges are true or not. Haven't found a solution yet.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

People who do not have a heart for God are going to llok for reasons to stay away. We as Christians do not have difficulties leading people to the Lord. We have no power over that. It is only by the conviction of the Holy Ghost.

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I understand your point, and I'll go ahead and clarify that I am in no way intending to exclude myself from Christians that have made mistakes, or misrepresented Jesus. That is not my intent. I have blown it time and time again. I use research like in the OP, and the book along with it, as well as my own experiences to examine how I'm behaving, and how the world sees Jesus through me. I definitely ought to be critiqued along with the rest of the family of God.

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You should pick up the book Barna published from the research findings, "UnChristian". You'd find it interesting.

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I amy end up reading it. But I do not really care for Barna much.

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

One of these times try using scripture for this and be more concerened for how the Savior sees us. Scripture and scripture alone is the true standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.