1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians, ACLU join forces in favor of 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were a school administrator (God help them :laugh: ) the boy’s right to privacy wouldn’t stop me from addressing his admitted drug use in my office with his parents!

As his father his right to privacy would have been answered with his shirt cuff in the palm of my clinched fist while headed down to the testing facilities!

As far as being beat up (happy wish) and matching rebellion and wits on the street with me as a parent…pish tosh… I would count my blessing as one persecuted for His sake and as a parent ripping up the sign just what are they going to do, make me pay for the sign? :thumbs:

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

And you think snatching a sign out of a child's hands because you disagree with it's message is Christlike? You gonna have to show me some scripture that promotes that idea. (oh and don't bother with Christ running the money changers out of the temple. This boy and his sign were on public property not the property of a church)

Possibly, but where are told as Christians to go around questioning how other parents raise their children? Where are we told as Christians to make laws out of our religious beliefs. My idea is that this family probably doesn't know Christ in a real way. Tearing up a sign is only going to antagonize the family against Christ, not bring them closer. I thought Christ said that by our love one for another that we would be known. Nothing loving that I can see in tearing up a sign, held by a child, in a country that gaurentees him the right to free speech, just because YOU don't see it as being appropriate.

Not only, but who made you the authority on how non-Christians should raise their kids. God commanded us to spread the good news, not the child raising news. Let's get 'em witnessed to, and let the Holy Spirit work on their child raising ideas.

Rbell, you forgot the minor line in your headline. It would read: Parents of children who beat up man who tore up sign have filed a lawsuit on behalf of thier children claiming they were assaulted and their constitutional right to free speech was violated.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

That is nothing but a message of tolerance. Christ does not want us to be tolerant of sin. He wasn't.

He rebuked devils openly. Paul, Peter, John the Baptist all openly rebuked the devils openly.

John the Baptist cried out with a loud voice, calling them a generation of vipers and reminding the heathens of the wrath to come.

But today, those who should be preaching against sin, only want to stand against sin in the sanctuary and be tolerant of it outside of the church.

That is just plain hypocritical. This is the same thing Paul rebuked Peter for... hypocrisy.

We are not to be two-faced Christians. Christ does not want lukewarm Children.

btw, there was no violation of free-speech, for God said 'Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain'. God's law overrides any country laws... whether they pass those laws or not.

#23 His Blood Spoke My Name, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Yeah, okay, and under the headline reads: “Response to the charges.”

First, I was not acting as a school administrator, but as a concerned private citizen as this event was not even on school property and I have no authority to enforce the school policies off the grounds. Admittedly the sign was offensive to me personally, but more than that it was advocating a dangerous suggestion to vulnerable children that could damage the minds of our youth. It was no more a violation of their constitutional right to free speech than it would be to stop a person from yelling fire in a crowded movie theater, both are dangerous immature pranks that can harm people. The sign was advocating an illegal and dangerous suggestion to our young children and as a responsible parent I felt the immediate need to end the mischief.

The religion hating bureaucrats and overindulging parents that are trying to turn this into a free speech violation and money making lawsuit would certainly be singing a different tune if the sign had been condemning homosexuality or the likes as per their one sided agenda to promote their own beliefs which are hating anything Christian.

In addition the 14 foot sign was obstructing people’s views, blocking the sidewalk and forcing people to go around and into the street, it was obstructing a fire hydrant in the fire lane and was in violation of city ordinances in placement of signs being 15 ft back from the street.

As for the people who intended to do me bodily harm for tearing the piece of paper :rolleyes: , I certainly had the constitutional right to defend myself and was in complete control of my own faculties in the situation as seen by the uniformity of the baseball type of swollen black eyes that they received when I put down their violent attack.

As a confessed Christian I do hope they heal quickly from their wounds and lovingly pray that they learned from these mistakes and for their sakes do not make them again.

:laugh:

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Edit: I had Pat as not the founder, I guess he was.

#25 JerryL, Apr 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Bejamin, were you in uniform when you "removed" that sign. Cause there is a proper authority for the removal of public nusiances and it ain't the individual citizen. So the response to the response would have been the same: you had no authority to destroy the sign and this doesn't change because the bureacrats are God hating or the parents don't know how to properly raise their kids.

In His Blood, you still haven't shown me one instance where Christ laid physical hands on someone he disagreed with. Rebuke yes, violence no. If you (or the principal) had walked up to this kid and told him you were offended by this sign, I doubt anyone would have had a problem with it. But there is a huge difference between rebuke and destruction.

Btw, I'd like to know how many folks knew what the sign was supposed to mean? This was a new expression to me. I doubt the majority of folk in that crowd had a clue and probably didn't care one way or another. If the sign had truely been offensive (vulgar, obscene, or hateful) the proper authority would have seen to it's removal.

While we may not like the idea of a child promoting drug use, it is NOT up to an individual to forceably stop the child of another from doing so.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

"Anyone who was a Christian should have taken the initiative and tore up that sign."

On public property we have no right tearing up that sign, whether is blasphemed God or not. We, as public citizens, don't have the right to do that. That is up to the authorities to decide if it is law abiding or not. Whether Christians or not, this country has a "freedom of speech" clause that doesn't let you do such things . I'm with the poster above, if you want to do such things "in Gods name" go to a country that allows it. We still have to respect citizens rights in this country.

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

You said not to use the instance of Jesus driving the moneychangers out of the temple. And why not? The Church is not just a members only social club... guests come to it every Sunday to hear the Word of the Lord. When we have functions, people bring family members and friends along in hopes that the Love we show might win them over to the Lord.

I can give you many references that give us more authority than that which the principal exercised that day. Here is one:

I certainly do believe Christ at the temple is a good example. He used a whip on those moneychangers, far from tearing up a sign.

Proper authority? Is not God's Word authority anymore? As pointed out above, these kids were using the Lord's name in vain. If anyone sees nothing wrong with their actions, maybe they need to get off BB for a while and study the Word of God more.

'

#28 His Blood Spoke My Name, Apr 7, 2007
  9. His Blood Spoke My Name

When the laws of the land do not line up with God's Word, there is not right... except the right to obey God.

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Then we need to leave that land. It is not ours to change it except through a lawful way. God's word even says to respect the laws of the land we are in.

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

God did not put those authorities in position so they could lead us away from obeying God's Word

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I'm not saying they were right in making the sign, just that we as civilians have no right to tear it up. They are protected by the same laws we are.

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Well, I am relieved that I am not alone here. Solomon wrote: "To everything thee is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven;"
    Not quite, there is never a time to violate any of the first three commandments. Those first three commandments stands over and above anything else, yes, even our right to free speech.

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Menagerie, I’m really surprised at your liberal secular view to this situation. Ya know, “be ye not conformed to this world” and “for they love the words of men more than the words of God” and all.

What has happened to standing up and doing what is right by being a man of God and calling a sin a sin? What? Are Christians supposed to fall on their back with their legs in the air like a scared whipped pup when someone says “BOO” to them? Never noticed the boldness presented by the actions of Jesus, Paul, or John???

And what a bunch of bunk about public property! Earlier this year while dropping my 7th grade kid at the bus stop I witnessed one high school kids threatening another with a knife, I confronted him and forcefully demanded that he leave the area. Later, I had to talk to three different officers from two different departments, one tried to get me to say that he had raised the knife toward me in a threatening way which he hadn’t so I wouldn’t. Another from the other department began to tell me I had no right to tell him to leave as it was public property and that he had a right to be there, which I shrugged my shoulders at in a manner to say, “So what!” I wasn’t having that around my kid or my neighbor’s kids; I was neither dishonest about it nor did I back away from what I did do that I felt was right. To hear this respect of public property laws over common sense and judgment you’d think I should have let him remain there!

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

But you have choices. Abide by the law or change them with votes. But until the laws are changed those that had the sign are protected the same as us. The other scenerio you are comparing is apples and oranges. The kid with the knife was breaking the law. The kids with the sign weren't. Like it or not the law is for all people. NonChristian and Christian alike. Being in the US, you have to respect all people. Being a Christian doesn't make you imune to the laws of this country.

16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The aspects of the law here were not clear or yet defined as per my example of yelling “FIRE” in a crowded theater (Which IS against the law). You can defend the agenda and tactics of those that hate Christianity while being conformed to this world or you can stand up for what is right in the eyes of the Lord in God given judgment; IMO.

#36 Benjamin, Apr 7, 2007
  17. His Blood Spoke My Name

They were breaking God's law. Being non-christian does not make one immune to, nor from the penalty of God's law.

18. JerryL

JerryL New Member

True, but not in this country or any country, are you to play God and pass judgement for His laws. That is His job. Your job is to abide by the laws of this country or change them. We are not the judges of Gods law.

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Say it anyway you want, but, whoever tore their sign up was in the wrong and breaking the law. The kids had freedom of speech and should have been respected as such. They were in public and not breaking the law and everyone had the option of not looking at the sign. All we are doing is going in circles so I will stop posting and let you have your opinion and still call you my Brother.

#39 JerryL, Apr 7, 2007
  20. His Blood Spoke My Name

that is not our job. The Christian is to stand against evil. Not to obey all the laws of the land.

We cannot change the laws this day and age, but that does not mean we are supposed to throw our hands up and give in.