1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and the beach

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Christians and modesty:

What ever happened to modesty in the Christian arena? Today most people who claim to be Christians seem to have little or no values on the issue. Why is it that Christians seem to think that the beach is open territory for revealing themselves to others. Modesty does not end as the shoreline or the pool. As Christians we need to hold the same ideals of modesty where ever we go. That may mean that we do not participate in some functions OR if we do we do not look like the world when we do. We are to be a peculiar people. Set apart, living our lives in a Holy manner. The standards that we should hold for modesty in everyday life should not and do not end because of entertainment at the beach or pool or any water activities

Here is a link to modest swimwear; http://www.wholesomewear.com/

And here is a teaching on modest clothing;

How does a woman discern the sometimes fine line between
    proper dress and dressing to be the center of attention? The answer starts in the intent of the heart. A woman should examine her motives and goals for the way she dresses. Is her intent to show the grace and beauty of womanhood? Is it to reveal a humble heart devoted to worshipping God? Or is it to call attention to herself and flaunt her beauty? Or worse, to attempt to lure men sexually? A woman who focuses on worshipping God will consider carefully how she is dressed, because her heart will dictate her wardrobe and appearance." John MacArthur

A woman should ask herself what statement do my clothes make about my heart? In choosing what clothes to wear today, whose attention do I
    desire and whose approval do I crave? Am I seeking to please and honor God or impress others? Is what I wear consistent with biblical values of modesty, self-control and respectable apparel, or does my clothing reveal an inordinate identification and fascination with sinful cultural values? Who am I trying to identify with through my clothing? Is the Word of God my standard or is it the latest fashion or simply my personal desire or comfort? Have I solicited the evaluation of other godly individuals regarding my wardrobe?
    Does my clothing reveal an allegiance to the gospel or is
    there any contradiction between my profession of faith and
    my practice of godliness?

So, I’m ready to leave the house, but I still have to do a modesty check. What are some things I should look for as
    I stand in front of my mirror?

When I am wearing a loose-fitting blouse or scoop-neck, can I
    see anything when I lean over? If so, I need change my top.

A word on purse straps: How could a purse possibly be a
    modesty concern? When you’re wearing the strap across your
    chest. Regardless of the shirt you’ve got on this accentuates
    your chest and creates a temptation for men.

Clothing with writing on the front of the top of the blouse or shirt draws attention to the breasts and needs to be avoided.

The same holds true for the skirt or pants. if there is writing on the backside it draws attention to her bottom and needs to be avoided.

If I am wearing a button-down top, I need to turn sideways and move around to see if there are any gaping holes that expose my chest. If there are, I’ve got to grab the sewing box and pin between the buttons.

Wearing sleeveless should be ruled out. The reason is that when she moves around others can see her bra?

We should never wear a spaghetti-strap, halter-top or see-through blouse? Not even pins will fix this problem! Most guys find these very unhelpful in their battle with the eyes. It’s time to go back to the closet.

Can I see the lace or seam of my bra through my shirt? In this
    case, seamless bras are a better option.
    One final shirt check: Does it reveal any part of my cleavage?
    If so it needs correcting.

Does my midriff show when I raise my hands above my head?
    Is my shirt just plain too tight or too thin so that the aureoles gives evidence through the material as in an outline. If the answer is "yes" to any
    one of these questions, then I need to change my outfit.

Does my midriff (or underwear) show when I bend over or
    lift my hands? If so, is it because my skirt or my pants are
    too low? Either my shirt needs to be longer or I need to find
    a skirt or pants that sit higher.

I also have to turn around to see if what I’m wearing is too
    tight around my derriere, or if the outline of my underwear
    shows. If so, I know what I have to do!

About shorts – Mostly not a good idea, but if chosen they should not draw attention to our sexuality. I suggest that they come down at least to the knee and even then there needs to be a set down check to be sure they are not too baggy around the legs so as to ride up and reveal unnecessary views.

The "sit-down" check applies to my skirt or dress as well. When I sit down my dress needs to cover my knees comfortably.
    And I must remember to keep my skirt pulled down and my
    knees together when I’m seated.

And speaking of skirts, watch out for those slits! Does it
    reveal too much when I walk? Any flesh showing above the knees front or back is too much. Pins are also helpful here.

Before I leave, I need to give my skirt a "sunlight check." Can it seen through? If so, I need a slip, which is almost always today.

Wrap arounds can be a problem especially in setting down or in a wind. Even if one is striving to keep it from allowing an opening and revealing an immodest moment the constant tugging at it causes men to be attracted to the efforts and possible flashing.

Finally, I must remember to do this modesty check with my
    shoes on. High-heels make my dress or skirt appear shorter.
    And don’t forget – this all applies to formal wear as well.

A note on swimwear There is no such thing as store bought swimwear that is modest. Take a pair of not too tight jeans and cut them off around the knees. For a top wear a shirt that is not exposing the body and yet is comfortable. Under the clothing wear a full length swim suit rather then just underwear. Remember as women we need to take care not to clothe ourselves in a manner that causes our brothers to be tempted or bring dishonor on our Lord. These guys have a big battle to fight. Sometimes we will have to deny selves to follow Christ. While self sacrifice is seldom taught or practiced today for the godly woman seeking modesty it is a lifestyle.
    Our lives are not our own, but we are bought with a price. When it comes to clothing let the woman who is of virtue been seen by her godly and modest attire and her actions be a witness to what a true Christian woman looks like.

"…Women should adorn themselves in respectable
    apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with
    braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but
    with what is proper for women who profess godliness-
    with good works."
    1 Timothy 2:9-10

We are our brother's keeper, God bless.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carnal Christianity?

How true! Carnality is rampant among the ranks of "modern" Christians. I think most of the reason is that many folks have been taught from the pulpit and at home that Satan has been defanged and no longer goes about devouring Christians. This is not a new problem: see David and Bathsheeba.

Having watched this "skin" problem for nearly fifty years, I have seen Hugh Hefner start and continue even today--he was on the tube yesterday--being glorified by the world. I recall looking at such things with a friend, circa 1954. It was stored in a trunk in somebody's attic. I still wrestle with such temptations--they are everywhere--even in so called churches. It is not unusual to see people dressed in provocative clothing while attending services. Who gets the glory here? Do not offend them, they may not come back. Or, they give a lot, let it alone. Or, even worse, what's wrong with it? The real question is: What is right with it?

Then there is the Christian ? rock music. I attended a Christian service last Sunday. The last music before the sermon was a rendition of something played beerhall style on a piano. It was applauded loudly.

Que lastima,

Remember Lot's wife.

Bro. James

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.....apparently you don't care anything about the "brothers". I guess they can dress how they wish.

You are only trying to be your "sister's" keeper. :tonofbricks:

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys are spending alot of time looking at women who aren't your wives.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is this simple. I have been married 30 years with a daugther and son. With the Holy Spirit's guidance and common sense, we as parents do what is best for our family.

The last thing we need is a novel thick book of a set of rules to check on in the mirror every time we leave the house. The whole mindset is the exact opposite of the purpose of the Christian life. I think the Lord called it whitewashed tombs.

If a person's heart is not in the right place, you can adorn someone with a suit of armor, and, as the old saying goes, where there is a will, there is a way.
    up
    As pointed out above, your post is flawed because you fail to address the male counterpart. Even if you had, we are not here to follow your silly rules. We are here to follow the Lord, and the last time I checked, your post is not in the Bible. To tell you the truth, at my age, the subject is ridiculous to worry about, as it is if your walk with the Lord is what it should be.

**Moderator note: Paragraph not necessary**

#5 saturneptune, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Been down this road before haven't we sis? Your post is right on.

I will add that not only does the OP not care about the way brothers dress, he doesn't have any words for the brothers who spend too much time looking at the sisters.

Lest I be rebuked for lack of modesty, I do believe we should dress modestly. At my age, I don't want to swim publically or show off my body. Too many lumps! :laugh:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is a beach thread being discussed when the snow is swirling outside? Shouldn't we be fighting...er, debating about how pagan Christmas is, when Christ was born, etc.?

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Right on. Where's the preaching against men who can't seem to control their eyes and thoughts?

A race car driver, when asked about wrecking race cars, said: "These cars don't drive themselves." So it is with men and their eyes and thoughts.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While we are on a legalism rampage...Gerald, angels are not depicted in Scritpure as babies (your avatar). That could offend.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....lest we offend Gerald (and I really don't want to do that), let me add one more thought.

Gerald,

More than making me mad - it hurts my feelings that on a Christian forum, a Christian man would presume that Christian women do not know how to dress. I can tell you with assurance that there is no woman on this board who is going to copy your check list and tape it to her mirror.

Your post is almost clinical in its reference to women's private body parts - and right now, in my presently unmarried state, the only man that I wish to be clinical with me is my physician.

You almost crossed the line with indecency. If you wish to post something like that on the private men's forum and suggest that the Christian men talk it over with their wives and daughters (with their wives' approval) that's fine. Argue it out over there.....

But there is no man - Christian or not - that should be having a discussion about the exposure or nonexposure of my body parts with me.

It just plain out hurts my feelings that you presume that I don't "check myself" in a mirror nor know how to dress in the first place.

If you will give us women some credit for being wise, knowledgable, and modest without your assistance - then we women won't label all you men as sex-crazed pigs who can't handle even an exposed ankle. :saint:

Fair enough?

Truce?

11. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Even if Dad takes his wife and daughters to the beach covered fron neck to ankle, how is Dad goint to keep his eyes off all the women at the beach who are in itsy-bitsy, teeny weeny, yellow polka dot bikinis? It is true that we have come a long way since the old days. Did you ever see some of that old Coney Island film footage. Even the men are covered. Were they a bunch of Pharisees? Or has Satan just taken over our minds to the point that we want to justify loose living?

**Icon edited and removed---size exceeds Baptist Board rules**

#11 Ps104_33, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What Tom Bryant and Scarlett O. said!
    It would seem some may be very familiar with this road. :rolleyes:

Bro. James, I am only about three years younger than you, and a year older that gerald285. But I would not know what "beerhall style" is if I heard it. Wonder if that is because I didn't spend any time in beerhalls over my 59 years, ya' think? (FTR, I do not even know what beer tastes like, not ever getting beyond the smell of the stuff.) But for both of you gentlemen, I am fairly sure I do recognize "the song, (done in perfect pitch) of 'legalism'" extremely clearly. And this is a full cantata, performed in the key of "See!".
    Yeah, I heard that she was a real 'hot' number. :rolleyes:

Ed

P.S. I'm pretty sure I would be less than thrilled to see some folks in the presence of the ladies in my family, as another said, were the ladies wearing knight's armor! :tonofbricks:

#12 EdSutton, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2007
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, I seriously doubt any of this would have been much of problem in KY, this AM, on any public beach. The temperature here was 25*F.

Ed

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I echo what Scarlett O said. Does modesty not apply to men as well? Gerald, I'm sure you mean well by posting all of your modesty tips for women, but I have a tip for you: If my husband thinks I'm wearing something I shouldn't, he'll let me know. Frankly, he's the one I "report" to (besides God) and not some other man. I'm sure the other men on this board are quite capable of leading their own homes and wives, as well.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Re: Legalists United!

Well said!

Ed

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I won't insult your intelligence by trying to tell you that I'm "above" being tempted or that I'm so jaded that I don't notice certain things about a woman, but I was raised in a beach town where bikinis were everywhere and even now, I'm heavily involved in the sailing community, where clothing is scarce.

To me, a girl in a bikini is just so common that it holds no novelty for me.

If I'm going to lust after a woman, I'm much more likely to lust after a woman in a nice dress than I am a girl in a bikini.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Hi. I'm a self-appointed modesty cop. Please send pictures of yourself to me and I'll let you know if you meet my standards, and if you should question your salvation. Thanks.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

And please npet, for a second opinion, forward the risque pics to my PM box :laugh:

#18 Joe, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2007
  19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Gerald, I'm assuming from your screen name that you're a man.

If so, then why are you wearing bras and skirts in the first place?

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ain't got much of a problem in that area as long as they stay out there in the beach or in their backyards.
    I will have a problem if they come to church that way, though.

I learned lately that to kill lust, besides prayer, what I need to do is to look at those legs and that body and think: "when she dies,she'll get wormy, and cold, and pale, and slowly stink, and stiffen, just another dead meat....yuck !!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.