1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and the Defense of Obesity

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by InTheLight, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

I apologize for not placing my question in a proper context. I assumed it would be understood given the topic of the thread.

Who says that being overweight is poor stewardship?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The scientific studies, health issues and deaths each year attributed to it.

Do you think when God gave us dominion over the planet that it doesn't include us as individuals?

3. mandym

mandym New Member

And yet some thin folks struggle with some of the same issues. some "over weight' folks do not struggle at all.

Informal fallacy

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Red Herring fallacy. We are not discussing thin folks.
    Explain how. Did God not set man over His creation which includes us?

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My observations have been that many Christians are quick to defend being overweight..."

I don't agree with the concept you're stating, although you might have meant something I would agree with-- that overeating and being lazy are sinful. Being overweight is just resulting evidence thereof. And Baptists, certainly those in the south and mid-continent, have a delight in getting together for meals which include lots of Calories, carbohydrates, fat, salt and (last but not least) sugar. No regard at all seems to be paid to all this eating and sharing recipes and joking about how we're overindulging such that this is the sinful part. Just thinking about our last church dinner or class party, or similar-- what did we make and bring? what did we eat? what did we hypocritically compliment? Can we even bring green beans to these things without added cream soup and something fried added to them? It's so ridiculous IMNSHO for Baptists to get so pugilistic about a few certain issues, but when it comes to healthy eating almost all of us need to be sent to a corner with the dunce cap for sinners.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I hear Baptists talking often about gorging themselves at buffets, get togethers, church gatherings and what not as if it is a sport, humorous, fun, acceptable, normal, a joke, and a good thing to do. Whenever the subject of over-indulging in food is brought up said become quite offended.

If however they hear a sermon (or statement) against alcohol, adultery, the "alternative" lifestyle, or whatever other sin they are not involved in, they get fired up and call it out. Then of course after said message off they are to the buffets. The buffets around here are filled on Sunday after noons with church-goers over indulging in eats.

I know, and spare me, I really don't know this is true, and it just simply cannot be true if it doesn't happen in your neck of the woods. :)

BTW: I wonder if this lifestyle falls into the category of practicing sin?

#26 preacher4truth, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Save me the “overweight have heart problems” interpretation of this verse. The fact is that we can’t tell a person’s heart by their outward appearance.

Here is my problem, it is with Christians that want to view and judge others based on the way they look. I won’t go into the details of my physical condition, but I am obese. My BMI right now (using the new link) is 36. And I have health problems because of it.

Everyone can see my problem simply by looking at me, I’m too big to hide. So you want to judge me because of it. Obviously there is something wrong with me or I would not look like this. The same argument is made with finances.

Obviously God loves the rich pretty people and hates the poor fat ones. They must all be wicked sinners. Certainly not as holy as the rich pretty people.

So, in answer to In the Light’s original question

Yea, it is ok to be overweight. Yes Gluttony is a sin, just like every other sin and it is not ok to ignore it, pretend it isn’t there, or not try and fix it. If you want to condemn someone, condemn their attitude, or even their eating habits, but don’t link your condemnation to the way they look. Being overweight is not a sin, even if it was a sin that got them that way.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said being overweight was a sin, I never said that overeating was a sin.

I am trying to understand the logic of "Being overweight is OK, eating too much is not OK." Being overweight is (usually) the result of overeating. So isn't being overweight evidence of overeating?

It's like saying "getting another woman who is not my wife pregnant is not a sin. The sin was adultery."

Isn't this a distinction without a difference?

BTW, I read Carolina Tent Maker's other posts and I wish you well on your battle with diabetes.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

I see a difference there, one is a sin, one is, often, the result of sin. Yet sin can of course occur without the result.

I think a better comparison is a child conceived out of wedlock. Is it the child we should judge? Should we excommunicate the mother casting aside her and the child. Or do we welcome them into a church of refuge and help them rebuild a life.

Oh, but what if she does it again? Then can we cast her aside? What if she does it three times, or seven times, or seventy times seven?

It is certainly possible to love sinners without excusing or loving sin. I have no problem with someone pointing out my sins, but if you think that for some reason that makes you better than me, a better Christian than me, more loved by God than me, well there is my problem, you have become the pharisee, excusing your own sin by pointing at the tax collector.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see both sides of an argument, but I think it boils down to srewardship. Jesus was clear what He felt about being a poor steward, and its also true that if yoou know you should do something and don't, or vice versa, that is a sin. I get that there are physiological issues that lead to obesity, my mother suffers from such a condition. However, this is the exception and not the norm. I believe a case can be made that being obese is sinful if one knows they should be eating healthier and exercise, but ignore it due to being slothful or just don't want to put in the effort to make a change. Again, this is not aimed at anyone on this thread, just a general observation and opinion. Much of the obesity in this nation can be cured eliminating what I call subtle forms of laziness masked as "convenience"