1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and War

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by J.D., Jan 9, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it." -- Robert E. Lee

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This thread has degraded into a military bashing. It's fine to think that the military is being misused, or that we shouldn't be deployed. But quit bad mouthing the military.

For those of you misguided souls that think we shouldn't have a military, shouldn't be involved in physical wars, and that praying by itself will save us, I offer the following amusing anecdote:

A family was sitting on top of their house during a horrible flood. The water was rising, and it was apparent that they would all drown. They started praying.
    A while later, a man in a canoe rowed by, and asked if they needed a ride. "No, God will save us." They kept praying to be saved from the water.
    Along came a man in a motorboat, asking if they needed help. "No, God will save us." And they kept praying.
    A little bit later, a helicopter flew by, dropped a rope ladder, and told them to climb up. "No, God will save us." They all drowned.
    They get to Heaven, and ask God, "God, we were praying,and we had faith in You. Why didn't you save us?"
    God replied, "I sent two boats and a helicopter."

We can pray all we want to stop invaders. But God's way of intervening is not to destroy them miraculously. God's way of providing for our protection is allowing us to have a strong military.

Get off your high horse, quit telling the help that God has provided that you will be ok, because God will save you, and get in the boat that God has provided.

It amazes me the ignorance some people show. By the way, it's illegal to shoot someone in the leg to stop them. It's shoot to kill or don't shoot, or you're in trouble.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Anyone out there worried that North Korea or Iran will invade the US?

4. Sapper Woody

North Korea isn't that big of a threat to our mainland. They do have the ability to launch missiles at Hawaii, however. I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

Iran however, is shaping up to be a big threat. Invasion? Not likely. But a nuclear missile? If they get the ability, yes.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

God gave us the U.S. Constitution and the rule of law. That's all about to end, on your watch.

Like it or don't you have a choice to make. Either you're with the constitution and the rule of law or you're with the usurpers that are destroying both at breakneck speed using endless wars and interventions as their vehicle du jour.

Nobody wants to take your military away. All we're asking is that it serve us instead of the gaggle of international bankers, corporations and corupt politicians it serves today.

Why is that such a bad thing? All we're asking is that you do your sworn duty. Is that so hard?

"The choice is your's citizen so make it wisely" From the movie "Ride With The Devil".

#45 poncho, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Sapper Woody

Plain and Simple has basically been saying throughout this thread that we don't need a military, as long as we have prayer and fight the spiritual fight (that's a paraphrase and inference. He did not actually say those words). That's where I was coming from for most of my post.

The other part was a plea for people to not bash the military. Like I said, if you think it's being misused, then do something about it. Write senators, representatives, etc. Bashing the military on a public forum accomplishes nothing.

7. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

That's a good article from Baldwin. Thanks for posting, Bro. Curtis. I found this quote particularly sobering:

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Yet, how much of this knowledge would even faze the average evangelical Christian today? All we hear from today’s “churches” is “bomb,” “attack,” “wipe them out,” etc. Then, at the same time, they get all emotional about sending missionaries to the same countries that they had just cheered-on the US military in raining down missiles of death and destruction upon (to bring salvation to the lucky ones that weren’t killed, I suppose)."[/FONT]​

8. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good points.