1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians are jerks online.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I think we might have a bit of a hard time bringing that before a committee.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I know what I'd call it, but what would you call it* when you don't tip the waitstaff unless the service meets your high standards? I always tip 20% regardless of the level of service.

*hint: it's in the title of the thread

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What is also expected is that the tip may vary depending on how well the service is. This is expected, understood and intended by the owners. It is motivation for the server to raise the level of service.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you can't afford to tip the waiter or waitress, then you cannot afford to eat there.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will adjust my tip based on the quality of the service rendered by the waitperson. Normal is 15%. I will tip as high as 25% for the very best of service and as little as 10% for substandard service. On rare occasions, I have left 25 cents for the snarling lazy , inattentive waitperson. (probably on Sunday, after church:smilewinkgrin:).

Just as I won't be at my current job long if my performance is substandard, so the waitperson who continually delivers substandard service will not long be employed as a waitperson.

BTW the quality of the food is never held against the waitperson.

None of that has a single solitary thing to do with being a Christian. Many druglords, pimps, and serial killers probably tip better and it's a known fact that liberals are worse tippers and less generous overall than conservatives, Christian or not.

If you say you "always" tip 20%, good for you. But I suspect the "always" is a stretch.:smilewinkgrin:

#25 carpro, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish that tipping was, by and large, done away with as a traditional practice and just add 15% to the prices on the menu to give to the waiters and waitresses.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

1. If it bothers folks that much, stop going to restaurants.

2. If waiters and wairtresses don't like the tips, seek other employment.

Pretty simple.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

True. Sometimes, it goes over 20% because I round up. :smilewinkgrin:

It would be silly of me to say that I've always done this, but ever since we've gotten into a habit of leaving a tract at the table, I've tipped 20%. I've heard enough stories about customers leaving a tract and no tip, like the tract is in lieu of tip, which I think is patently ridiculous.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Thank you for this attitude. I'm constantly amazed by people who refuse to realize that these situations are opportunities to let grace be practically manifested in our lives. I'm not lying that this job is hard. It can be rewarding, but it can run you down, too. Being treated kindly and tipped well will leave a lasting impression.

I've been out of the business for a couple of years, but there are probably 10-15 specific customer visits that stick in my mind because the customer was very forgiving of mistakes and treated me with dignity and kindness.

And, to be honest, tracts are usually thrown away immediately. I'm not saying not to leave them, because there are people who might read them and it be used in their lives. But most of the time, they will be thrown away. The difference is that if the server knows you're a Christian, you will leave a much more favorable impression if you tip well.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your attitude is almost completely mercenary.

I think the jerk may well be the waiter, in this case.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Sweet mercy.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Old Carpro, you gotta love him! :laugh:

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fail to see why a Christian should have to purchase a favorable opinion from a waitperson. If so, I guess we could just hand out bucks all over the world and everyone will like us. Ridiculous.:BangHead:

The problem lies with the person that expects the payment.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm talking about kindness. I'm talking about dignity. I'm talking about grace, here, not throwing money at the problem.

And, revmitchell and I have already demonstrated how payment is expected, due to the industry standard.

And withholding payment is not going to do anything other than perpetuate stereotypes. It's certainly not going to make any other impression.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is how they make a living. You walk into a restaurant knowing this and expect free service then you are withholding their way of living.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You're talking about money saying a Christian can make a more favorable impression with you as a waiter if they give you a larger tip.

Disgusting.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney. Service is included in the cost of the meal. Just as a clerk in Sears is required to serve you without "tips", their service is included in the cost of the product you buy.

It is the responsibility of the owner of the reataurant to pay the waiter. I OWE them nothing. That's why it's called a gratuity... ie: something given without claim or demand. You're claiming I OWE it just because I show up.

Not so.

#37 carpro, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No. No its not

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

So...waitstaff should be happy with their 2.13 an hour? Hmmm...

#39 jaigner, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find another job if you don't like it, or...

give good enough service to deserve a gratuity.(something given without claim or demand.)