1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians are jerks online.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. targus

targus New Member

Just to put this in perspective...

How often do you tip?

For every five times eating out - how many times on average would you tip?

When you do tip - what is the average percentage of the bill that you leave as a gratuity?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post # 25

This is not really about whether or not either of us tip and how much.

To me, it's about the sense of entitlement of some waiters, including those that are posting here. The think they deserve a tip just for showing up and breathing.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

One can tell the Mr. Carpo has never served as a waiter in a restaurant or some other type service where the servers depend on tips for their living. It's not about entitlement and they do deserve a tip for serving you. Only a jerk doesn't leave at least 15%.

4. targus

targus New Member

Thanks, Carpro. That seems reasonable and is much less harsh than what you seem to be posting in this thread.

There isn't much that we can do about the attitudes of others that we don't really know - except by showing a good example.

Thanks for the clarification.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO one here said that. But they do deserve some level of tip for providing service.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spent 35 years in commission sales.

So go ahead and tell me why the quality of the service doesn't matter. Obviously I wouldn't have any idea.

Then explain why you feel you are entitled to a gratuity regardless of the quality of your service to your customer.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    because no matter what happens there is always some level of service.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Deserve" "Entitled"

No real difference.

A "gratuity" or "tip" is something given without claim or demand.

You claim it's owed and demand it be paid regardless of the quality or extent or your service.

Are you sure you aren't a liberal?:tongue3:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what the hourly wage is for.

You get tips for the quality of your service.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Says who?......

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The customer.

That's me.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My brother in law isn't in the "church crowd" but I HATE going to eat with him at a restaurant where we would leave a tip. If they give good service, he leaves a dollar, no matter how high the bill is (I went once with him to a restaurant where his bill was over $50....He was only going to leave a $3 tip, and the waitress was good. The sad part about that is he only left a tip because at first, he wasn't going to, and she was going to confront him about it.....I have made a commitment not to eat out with him any more..... ugh. )

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Carpo, serving in a restaurant and being a commissioned sales person is not a good comparison. You get your money as a result of the sale. Your commission isn't based on your customer's good will. And, I never said that you should leave a tip if a server gives you poor service. I don't leave a tip or I reduce it for very poor service. Most of the time, however, poor service isn't the server's fault. It's not the server's fault if there is a delay in the kitchen or if he or she has been assigned too many tables to serve, etc. I try to take those factors into account before I cut my tip.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you are one of the few who fail to understand. You are welcome to stiff your server but the next time you come in it will most likely happen again. Word gets around.

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I've been saying the whole time that a good server will do their best, especially since their tip will likely correspond with their level of service. If they do their job as expected, it is proper and assumed that you will tip accordingly.

Years ago, tipping was considered to be on top of regular compensation.

Eventually, it got to where restaurants didn't pay their servers anything, and they still wouldn't, except the government makes them so they have something to take taxes out of.

This whole conversation is very odd. It's odd that Christians, upon whom grace has been lavished, cling to an attitude of justice instead here.

And commissioned sales are very different. You automatically get that commission when you make a sale. Tip-based wages are not guaranteed, since it's up to the customer to conform to the standard.

Do whatever you want, just keep in mind that most servers want to do a good job. They aren't out to get you because you're a Christian or for any other reason.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try reading the thread. My tipping habits are not at issue and are not the problem.

The apparent entitlement mentality of waitpersons is.

As for your post, anyone that gives poor enough service that I don't tip them will not be working there long.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea of serving (or waiting on) your customers is not a new idea. As a salesman, I'd have to serve many people to get one sale. Do I get to be rude or do I get to ignore them because I think they they aren't going to buy? In sales, I worked off the averages. As a waiter, perhaps you should do the same. Commissions are guaranteed even less that tips. The customer is obligated only to pay for their meal or , in my case not obligated to do anything at all. If you want a tip, you have to earn it, just as I have to earn my commissions.

I'm telling you your attitude comes through so that your customer does indeed meet your expectations. If you expect the after church crowd to be poor tippers and feel you are somehow being gypped, it will affect your service and your attitude will make your lower expectations a self fulfilling prophecy.

#57 carpro, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  18. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I agree that a good server is not going to assume that a customer is not going to leave a tip based on group stereotypes. I know that some pizza delivery drivers, if they know a customer will not tip, will put the pizza in front of the air conditioning vents in the car to passive-aggressivly get even with the customer.

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever considering giving something to someone that they didn't deserve as an act of mercy?

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That's what I keep referring to. I think that is a real, practical manifestation of grace in our lives.