1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians are not required to tithe

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Olivencia, Apr 19, 2009.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giving and tithing are not synonyms. One could give in the form of something other than a tithe. One could "tithe" and, if it were required, would not be under a generally accepted term of "giving" (at least in the free sense of the word).

Christians are not required to be subject to any form of "tithing" in how they give.

Anyone can observe a pattern of giving 10% of his monetary income to a church, and all that is fine and good; nothing wrong with it. Under the dictionary denotation of the word, that person would be tithing his monetary income to the church.

The question of this thread is if Christians are required to "tithe." To answer that question, we have to look at the Bible itself (because I assume that we all here derive our doctrines from the text of the Bible).

If we are supposed to tithe, then obviously we have to know what we are supposed to tithe, when we are supposed to tithe (if this matters), how we are supposed to tithe, and to whom we are supposed to tithe. Otherwise, we cannot do what we are supposed to do.

If you believe that we have a command/requirement/obligation/"ought-to"/suggestion to tithe, then please provide the Scripture supporting your position. You can define it in any way you want, just provide the Scripture to back up your claim. Then, we can have a meaningful discussion on this topic.

I would say that if they are required, they are paid; if they are optional they are given.

2. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I strongly disagree.

The tithe was given willfully and out of obedience. People have a choice

So you think the Lord's work is not worthy of at least ten percent?

I believe we are required to give to the work of the Lord, this ten percent is a good threshold and basis for our giving above our means. I believe we should give of our increase in anything that would contribute to the work of God, including our time and other things as well.

Giving to the work of the Lord is NOT "optional", that would be licentiousness and expresses a complacent attitude towards seeing the church move forward in winning souls and discipling converts.

If one truly loves the Lord they will give what they would feel adequate to support the work.

I don't even agree with all the missionaries our church supports, yet I give to our missions efforts.

Taking care of the "home-base" is limited as how I see I should give when I see that home-base living extravagantly: the pastor wearing studded cuff-links, expensive watches, driving luxury autos, living in his own house with fancy furniture, wearing designer clothes and spouting off "TITHE!" offends everyone. Except when there are those who profit by sticking close to the pastor, those being the ones who "don't mind", most people are offended at the term.

I feel it is a misunderstood term when one defines it under the law as commanded. I see nowhere was Abraham commanded to tithe, rather I believe he just wanted to give.:thumbsup:

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

So what you're saying is that you don't mind if the building looks like it's about to fall down, you meet regularly in caves and catacombs? Don't start telling me you're attending an "EXTRABIBLICAL CHURCH!":tongue3:

What about the example of the Temple and HOW GOD wanted it to be furnished?

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

You've extorted from me a response: NO!

The tithe is a tenth of the increase, it is GIVEN, not PAID!

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Tell you exactly what I do not understand. You and another poster started about the same time, and, with a few dozen or so posts, are into it with everyone in every thread. Do you think maybe you should learn the tone of the board before you start into unchartered terrritory?

As far as giving goes, it sure seems to me your energy is focused on money and buildings. Is not the focus Jesus, the poor, needy, and taking the Gospel to the lost? Yes, we do need a place to worship. Your whole mindset is upside down. We give out of a cheerful heart the Lord has given us. I end up giving more than 10%. If I thought as you do about giving, a drudgery, a chain around my neck, I would give nothing.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Last I checked, a church in Scripture is not told to run like any other business. How many businesses look to use their money to give life to other people? In our church, I doubt 25% of the people tithe, yet we are debt free, support home grown missionaries 100%, have a staff of 45 and are expanding our ministries. God is doing the providing with whatever we have.

Unless you show me where it says this in Scripture, you're wrong. The church should be the most influential building in town - not the nicest.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Wrong.

Christians are to give, cheerfully, whatever they purpose in their heart to give. Period.

If its more that the tithe, fine. If its 10%, fine. If its less than the tithe, fine.

Gods only requirement is that it be given cheerfully.

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I find you not to be some one I am to be subject to.

I am not as you say,"into it with everyone"

Also, when I find the "tone" to suggest the errors it does I have evry right to confront it and contend for the faith.

may I ask you not to get every thread I am in on a "personaL" level by making so many malicious statements to me?

I think you have misjudged me, the ONLY focus is Jesus, everything and everybody else falls under that heading.

I have never seen where I asked you what or how much you give.

Maybe you should consider the way you're reading into what I said and then change your repsonses.

9. Alive in Christ

:eek:

Nonsense. Where...in...the..world...did you come up with stuff like that???

#149 Alive in Christ, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  10. Alive in Christ

Complete, total, absolute FALSEHOOD.