1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians Evangelizing Catholics

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John3v36, Dec 4, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

2. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

Went there, saved to favorites, and will comment later. I have many things I need to do today and spending time on 'puter is not one of them. Thanks for the post!

3. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I glanced around the website and was not impressed. First, I disagree with the premise, that someone who is a Catholic is not a Christian, thus needing to be evangelized. Also, the few things I read show a hostility towards Catholicism, which I see as uncalled for.

But then again, I am a Baptist who is in the process of reconciling to the Roman Catholic Church, so I guess I wouldn't be impressed by the site. ;)

In Christ,
    Neal

4. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

Of course, any premise which presumes one is a Christian based upon any label including "Baptist" is a faulty one. I'm sorry to hear of your falling out with the RCC, hope everything works out and you can be "reconciled" again. ;)

5. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

The premise is not if you are a Catholic is not a Christian. You could be a christian but not if you believe what the RC teaches.

6. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

With which I wholeheartedly disagree with you... [​IMG]

Hmm...do you believe I am about to lose my salvation, since I am going to embrace what the Catholic Church teaches?

7. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Tell me how does a person get saved?

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I am a Baptist so of course I am very offended that a church that calls itself a “Baptist” church would desecrate the word by publically participating in an anti-Christian endeavor. And yes, I am familiar with other such endeavors.

If a group of individuals began an endeavor called “Christians Evangelizing Baptists,” would this give you a good or a bad impression of that group and what they stand for? :eek:

[​IMG]

9. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Wholly by God's grace. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

10. Craigbythesea

I find no grave difficulties with Roman Catholic theology, but I do find a whole lot of difficulty in the theology attributed to Roman Catholicism by pagans and other ill-informed individuals and organizations.

Indeed, the theological difficulties in Roman Catholicism are no more serious that the theological difficulties that we find in many Baptist churches. Indeed, many Baptist churches hold to a doctrine that places them in the gray area between a non-Christian cult and a heterodox church. That doctrine is commonly known on this message board as KJOism.

[​IMG]

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with praying for the dead, purgatory and indulgences?

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed praying TO the dead, thinking that your loved ones aree suffering in purgatory, inquisition and torture as a means of doctrine control, rushing to your priest for forgiveness of sins, ...

Surely these are all reasons to "want" to help a fellow Christian leave some of that error.

In Christ,

Bob

13. billwald

billwald New Member

I suspect there are the same proportions of Christians in Catholic and Protestant churches.

14. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

I find no grave difficulties with Roman Catholic theology, ...

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]... :eek: [​IMG] :( ...hmmmm, some things we hold in common, sure, but there are still things worth protesting and reforming or just remaining separated from.

15. Craigbythesea

Nothing wrong with praying for the dead, purgatory and indulgences? </font>[/QUOTE]Did you study Roman Catholic doctrine as carelessly as you read my post? :eek:

I wrote that “I find no grave difficulties with Roman Catholic theology.”

As for praying for the dead, where in the Bible do you read that it is a sin to pray for those who have died? Do you find in more unbiblical to pray for the dead than to baptize people for the dead?

1 Cor. 15:29. Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? (NASB, 1995)

As for Purgatory, there are many Baptists, including several on this message board, that vehemently argue that all unrighteous born-again Christians will spend 1,000 years in hell before going to be with Christ. Do you find the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory to be even as heretical as that Baptist doctrine?

As for indulgences, there are many Baptists, including several on this message board, that vehemently argue that the unrighteous born-again Christians spending 1,000 years in hell are paying the due price for their sins as Christians.

And most surely no Roman Catholic doctrine is as perverse at the doctrine of KJOism. If Roman Catholics who believe in Roman Catholic doctrine are not saved, what do you suppose are the chances of those who teach the Baptist doctrines that I have just listed?

[​IMG]

16. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Yes, I agree with you when you say that many people attribute things to the Catholic Church that is not indeed taught by them. That was the first thing that bothered me greatly, and really peaked my interest to study it deeper.

In Christ,
    Neal

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Speaking as an ex-Catholic who retains much affection for that Church and has two uncles who are priests, I too was offended by the website; it's the kind of extremist, Ian Paisley-ite attitude to Catholics displayed therein that's been a cause of a lot of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Yes, they have doctrines with which I disagree from Scripture, but I equally hold doctrines with which they disagree from Scripture.

Oh and to John3v36 who asked "What saves you?", what do you make of I Peter 3:21?

Yours in Christ

Matt

18. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up with Catholics, and work alongside them for the pro-life cause. I sang with a group at a memorial mass the other day.
    I have always thought it more difficult to be a born-again Christian if one was brought up Catholic, since it is so easy to rely on ritual instead of on one's relationship to Christ. "Make" first communion, "make" confirmation, "make" confession, "make" a novena. All of this "making" is so much "works." However, many of my Catholic friends I believe are saved, in spite of extra stuff they are taught. Catholics can be saved or unsaved. Baptists can be saved or unsaved. I just think it more likely to find a saved Baptist than a saved Catholic.

19. grace56

grace56 Guest

As far as praying for the dead read 2 Tim 1:16-18 in which you will read that Paul prayed for his dead fiend Onesiphorus.

saved56

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I saw pretty much the same thing. I have known A LOT of Catholics who are born again. Heck, my mother is one!!! Arguements over doctrinal errors and differences aside, one should not automatically presume that Cathlics as a whole are unsaved, any more than one should presume that Presbyterians, Lutherans, or Methodists as a whole are unsaved.