1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians not much different than unbelievers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TaterTot, Feb 7, 2006.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Today in a 7th grade class, we were discussing abortion. I had taken a poll to see where these kids stand. These are Christian kids, from Christian homes (most of them anyway) in a Christian school. I was astounded at how many think its ok to abort if the girl is too young to care for a baby! They were torn on the rape/life of the mother issues, and thats understandable. I am really just trying to get them to think critically b/c they havent had to do much of that up to this point.

And I polled 40 kids, and a third of them know someone personally that has had an abortion. Most are Christians, as well. :(

I am starting to read a book by Thom Rainer about perspectives from unchurched, and I am so saddened at how we as Christians are doing. Our divorce rates, sexual morality, etc, as not much different than those who at least have the excuse that they arent followers of Christ.

2. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

TaterTot

I agree with you entirely. Instilling Christian morals and beliefs starts IN THE HOME. Sadly, kids are shuffled on a church bus to Sunday school where they are with other kids and listen to a prepared lesson from a not so devoted teacher. Some kids just are to told sweet stories about OT heroes of the faith, but none of this relates to the morals of today's society.

Parents generally are NOT taking responsibility of TAKING TIME with their kids to teach them biblical truths and morals. Dad is watching TV, reading the paper or outside. Mom is doing whatever. And the kids for the most part are sitting in front of their TV playing video games such as Doom or some other violent game. End result? UN-catechized kids.

I will say this for the Calvinist in Europe two centuries ago. They did instruct adults and children in the Westminster Confession and kids listened and followed along. This is sadly absent in homes today.

3. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

And this surprises you? It is as it was written would happen.

Mat 24:8 But all these are a beginning of throes.
    9 Then they will deliver you up to affliction, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.
    10 And then many will be offended, and they will deliver up one another and will hate one another.
    11 And many false prophets will be raised and will cause many to err.
    12 And because lawlessness shall have been multiplied, the love of the many will grow cold.
    13 But the one who endures to the end, that one will be kept safe.

2 Timothy 3
    1 ΒΆ But know this, that in the last days grievous times will be upon us.
    2 For men will be lovers of themselves, money-lovers, braggarts, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3 without natural feeling, unyielding, slanderers, without self-control, savage, haters of good,
    4 betrayers, reckless, puffed up, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
    5 having a form of godliness, but denying the power of it; even turn away from these.
    6 For of these are those creeping into houses and leading silly women captive, the ones having been heaped with sins, being led away by various lusts,
    7 always learning, but never being able to come to a full knowledge of the truth.

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

George Barna has done quite a bit of research about the way Christians and non-Christians view hte world, act in the world and interact with the world, and the numbers are quite alarming, but as already been said not at all surprising.

5. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Wow, this thread actually makes sense Biblically.

6. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

In my thinking, there is a two fold problem.

One, there is very little loving discipleship in the church. Most children and especially youth groups are just told, this is a sin. Don't do it. And if they do, they are as likely as not to tell no one, for fear of being ostracized. Who here remembers as a youth what it was like to be different than crowd?

Second, I think that, although most parents are truly trying, there is still a large gap in communication between kids and their parents.

I very good friend of mine has a son that is struggling mightily right now in sin. He is 23. All his life, his momma took him to church, loved on him, treated him with respect, and was just good to him. She herself was involved heavily in the church.

And because of all this, when he first started having struggles about six years ago, he felt he couldn't go to either his parents (that they would be dissapointed in him) or his friends (once again, kids are cruel).

Parents need to take a passive role as well as an active role. Sometimes, just watching thier behavior is as important as being active in their lives.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Tater, that is a huge problem today. Sadly, parents, families and churches have dropped the ball. It is good to hear that some are trying to make a difference with students. Keep sharing the Word.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Isn't it sad that we are basically not much different then teh rest of the world. Jesus has made so much available to us, we have the power living in us to live differetnly, we just don't chose to do it, the world looks too good I guess. I've read the Barna polls and was shocked. It's worse then I expected.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is a book every Christian should read.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am enjoying it immensely.

11. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Why should this be a shock to you? Don't you read the posts on this board? This is a "Baptist" message board and there is nothing the majority of these people are against.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yes, I am surpised that true fundementalists do not separate from the heathen and worldy Christians on this board.

I think you would have a hard time proving that a majority here support abortion.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

Most people here are against things the Bible condemns... and legalists that would assert their own convictions and opinions between the lines of scripture. Those are some pretty good things to be against.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Scott J is correct.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read one of Barna's books a couple of years ago- "Think Like Jesus" (maybe?)

Anyway, only 9% in his survey of self-professing born again Christians hold biblical views on these very basic, fundamental issues-

"For the purposes of the research, a biblical worldview was defined as believing that absolute moral truths exist; that such truth is defined by the Bible; and firm belief in six specific religious views. Those views were that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life; God is the all-powerful and all-knowing Creator of the universe and He stills rules it today; salvation is a gift from God and cannot be earned; Satan is real; a Christian has a responsibility to share their faith in Christ with other people; and the Bible is accurate in all of its teachings."

If someone can't get those things right then they probably aren't going to have discernment on complex issues or be able to teach their children to think biblically.

According to Barna's survey, 46% of those without a biblical worldview endorsed abortion. Less than 1% of those with a biblical worldview did so.

Notably, of the respondants, 10% of Republicans held a biblical worldview versus 2% of Independents and 1% of Democrats.... IOW's, thinking biblically does parallel thinking conservatively.

More info: http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=154

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Scott hit the nail on the head.

This is a great thought as well. If people on this board are so bad and worldly, then please seperate from us.

17. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

The reason why Christians are no different from the world is because many of them are not truly saved, they have never been taught repentance. Many churches give people the impression that if they simply repeat a set prayer they are automatically saved, and that Jesus loves them just as they are, and that God accepts them just as they are. When churches don't teach repentance as part of salvation you will have a whole generation of people who are deluding themselves concerning their standing before God.

Kind regards to all.

Bob

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While that is true, so is the flipside: Many Christians are no different from the world because the only thing they've ever been taught about the Gospel is repentance and acceptance. Many churches give people the impression that if they simply repent of their sins and accept the Lord, that's all there is to being saved. When churches don't teach feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, aiding the sick, loving, forgiving, helping, and more, all as part of salvation, you will have a whole generation of people who are deluding themselves concerning their standing before God.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You're mixing law and grace. It is heresy to do so.

One is saved by grace through faith. One works as exhibiting their faith empowered by grace. repentence is a gift of a spanse of time permitted by the Lord for one to do so and is necessary for salvation. Once truly saved, that Spirit of God indwelling the person then inspires that same person to want to do those things you listed, not that he has to do them, but then that person would deny the blessings of God and thereby deny the rewards in Heaven for obeying the Spirit.

I like "hearing myself talk", don't you? [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Scott hit the nail on the head.

This is a great thought as well. If people on this board are so bad and worldly, then please seperate from us.
    </font>[/QUOTE]A crooked stick always looks crooked to a straight stick, no matter how subtle the crooked stick may be.

May be that the salt is too salty for some, but it is the salt wherewith the Lord salts the earth.

You're remarks are very self-righteous and demeaning to holy living, but why should I be surprised? You have much to learn, and soon we'll see how much you're pride will stand in your way by your response to being confronted. [​IMG]