1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CHRISTIANS THAT DON'T ATTEND CHURCH??

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SAVED4LIFE, Nov 16, 2001.

1. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

hmm, well, i've read most the posts (not all i confess) but it seems that people are trying to defend NOT going to church. I don't understand a Christian NOT wanting (if you don't go it USUALLY because you choose not to)to go to church. We should be excited about going and looking forward to going. Maybe I'm missing something here...

2. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I just don't think anyone should be judged for not wanting to go to church. I am not a stickler for being there all the time and I don't see the need for anyone to feel guilty in not going or that they don't love God enough. I love going, I always have fun and grow but I don't always attend.

karen

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

In other countries, "church" is conducted in secret - in dark caves, in hidden rooms, under the cover of night, so that the authorities will not discover the Body of Christ meeting together.

In other countries, people continue to pray and sing within church buildings, which have been locked from the outside by soldiers who are preparing to torch the buidling and all men, women and children inside.

In other countries, believers tell the persecutors, that they can shoot them, torture them, cut off arms and legs, but they will not cease from meeting in God's house, even if God's house is a tent made of leaves and bamboo shoots.

Only in the west, do believers think they have the right not to meet as the assembled Body of Christ. If you don't like the churches in a 100 mile radius of your home, start a house church. But for believers to deny the necessity of the Body to assemble in praise and worship is a slap in the face of Christ, and every martyr whose blood has turned parched earth red.

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Excellent post, Chris! I couldn't agree more! I use the illustration of a newly wed couple. The first week of marriage, the man rushes home to be with his bride. The second week he decides to stop off at the bowling alley with the boys. He comes home late, and does not talk or interact with his bride at all. The third week he calls her on the phone and tells her he loves her but he won't be coming home that evening for he is going to party all night with the boys from work. This continues for several weeks. How long will it take that bride to figure out he does not love her quite as much as he says he does?

If we love God. If we love Christ. If we love our brothers and sisters in Christ, we will want to spend as much time as possible assembled together with them. If not, I am sorry, but I question that persons love for God, Christ, and the brethren. :(

5. WhipperSnapper

WhipperSnapper New Member

Hello, everyone, I was a "stay-at home". May I tell you my story?

Over thirty ears ago, a Christian lady came to work at my place of work. At that time, my life was in shambles and I was not sure I even believed there was a God. She was never pushy, but I was so amazed with her boldness and her "un-ashamedness" of her relationship with Christ Jesus. This lady was in love with Jesus Christ, and she loved answering my questions about the Bible. She was the happiest, most "all-together" person I had ever met. She talked as though Jesus was her very best friend, that He was a VERY present help, and that she could talk to Him about anything at anytime (over thirty years ago, a person like this was rare indeed). I became so excited about getting to know Him, I could not stay out of the Bible. Needless to say, I fell head over heels in love with this loving Lord, also, and just like her, I could not shut up about Him. This lady worked with me for three glorious months, and then moved away to another state. I wept much when she left, but I had found a friend (Jesus) that would never leave me nor forsake me. At that time, I had no driver's licence nor automobile (caught a ride to work with a fellow worker), and no way to church (and my husband objected to my going to church), so for over four years, I completely cut out TV, magazines, and anything else I could do without, and I devoured the Bible at every moment I possibly could.

I wanted so much to fellowship with others who loved Jesus, so when we moved to where I could walk to a church, I went. But I was so disappointed. The hungering after the things of God just wasn't there in church. Scriptures were very often taken out of context in the sermons. When I tried to talk about the good things of God, I was usually cut off. And I still did not have Christian friends to fellowship with outside the Church doors.

After I got my own way around, I started looking for a church where I could belong. I visited several and settled down at a little non-denominational street mission. The Gospel was simple there and was presented with love and action. I could handle that.

I believe that if "the man of Galilee" comes to Church, crowds still flock. It's not hard to get people to the table, if there's food on it. I really believe Pastors could take a load off themselves if they would simply teach their flock to "do" the Gospel among themselves and in their neighborhoods. Oh, what a world this would be!

In much love

6. Chet

Chet New Member

Chris and Thomas I disagree -

Matt 11:28-30
    "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my
    yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find
    rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
    NIV

This is vastly different than a message we hear so often today by the faithful
    self-righteous
    Church member who frowns upon those who are shouting earnestly with
    real reasons for not attending the local church. Guilt should not be present in any believer who is sincerely just in his/her reason for not going to a Church, especially given in light of a legalistic obligation in which the Scriptures do not command.

Our love for Christ has absolutely nothing to do with our sitting through a Church service. We are no better or worse a Christian for being or not being there. Oh how much more has my Spiritual walk increased as I sat alone with the Scripture, in mediation upon Him in the coolness of the morning breeze praying and reading, than the worthlessness of a cold church service. Thank God for the fact that our love is not measured by Church!

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command.

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you
    must love one another.

2 John 4-6 It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth,
    just as the Father commanded us. And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new
    command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the
    beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

This is not bound within the four walls of a local assembly, but rather can be shown
    greater on the outside of the Church than on the inside.

In other countries perhaps they don’t have quite the problem that we do in the US. I agree so much with Chris in that he was able to look beyond our own back yard, as the Church of God is Worldwide. But in so doing, I wonder what other countries have as many Christian Bookstores, Computer programs, Churches on every corner, Radio
    Ministries, Bible commentaries, Bible versions for our understandings, yet can walk in [/i]any[/i] local Church in the US and find complete ignorance of Theology? And I am not speaking of just anyone, a person who has been drilled that going to church is God’s will their whole life and yet can’t figure out how to share the Gospel. I know of faithful members of churches yet can’t tell me if Hebrews is in the OT or the NT.

In other countries, have they found the same ritualistic services where knowledge is
    lacking? Or are they sincerely interested in being an Acts 17:11 Church? It is more than easier said than done to say, “just start one”. With whom do you start one
    with? At which number of people can you say, “we now have a Church!” Is two
    sufficient?, I do recall Jesus saying that. Yet if a couple were to stay home and study His word together, either on Sunday or Tuesday (or everyday in my life) does that constitute going to a Church for everyone?

It was asked how many of us really go to Church. I would like to answer that. First I am the Church. I am part of the Body of Christ. The last local Church that I was a member of lasted for one year. We started it, and it disband about three months ago. Since then my wife and I have visited three different local Baptist in our area (within reason) and of those I preached at one of them. What I found were people who knew absolutely nothing but a fleshly feeling of self worth because they were there. Now that is not true of every member I am sure! But it sure can be said of most.

With love,

Chet

7. ken

ken New Member

What's the difference between an atheis(sp?) who doesn't believe in God and doesn't go to church, and a Christian who believes in God and doesn't go to church?
    just wondering.

8. ken

ken New Member

Let me also add:
    1.) Our love for God is shown whenwe go to church. It is because my love for God I sit through a church service.
    2.) As Christians we should do everything in our power to be at every church service. Parents send their children off to school everyday whether it be publick, private, or homeschool, to recieve education in reading, writting, math, science, etc... All which will mean nothing at the day of Christ, but they mean a litte now. It seems to me Biblical education is more important now more than ever. It seems like some people are putting church further and further down the "list of must dos", which is sad. Imagine God putting you further and further down the list just because he has something "better" to do with his time. I wonder how many parents would leave it up to the kids to decide if they won't to go to school on a regular basis?There is an old saying, "Only one life will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." I wonder what can be done for Christ by not going to church. And another thing, everytime excuses were made in the Bible it always says right after them that God was then angry. So those who don't believe going to church everytime the doors are open, are making excuses and God is angry.I personelly know you can do more for the cause of Christ by going to church faithfully to every service.

9. WhipperSnapper

Ken,
    Many Pioneers were Christians. They had to worship God alone or with their family. This did not make them any less "Christian".

I believe it is extremely important to assemble with other Believers to encourage and strenghen one another's faith. But, I have found the best fellowship is usually around the kitchen table with our Bibles and our hearts open.

I believe communication with the whole body of Christ (all over the world)is vital, and we should feel at home with our Christian brothers and sisters where ever we meet or gather. Church buildings are important as a place where many members can gather and worship together and make their (the Lord's) plans together to take their neighborhoods for the Kingdom of God.

10. ken

ken New Member

Whippersnapper,
    Hebrews 10:25 comes to mind
    and a church is not just a building its people wherever they meet we should be there.

11. WhipperSnapper

Ken
    True. The local church is VERY important. VERY important.

12. qwerty

qwerty New Member

If you want one reason why some might not go to church, check out the:

Spiritual abuse?

thread in the:

Denominational discussions page

13. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

interesting point brought up, since we live in the good ol usa yes that means we have the freedom to chose to go to church or not. it's hardly a slap in the face to those who have died because of that choice, they would have done it no matter what we do because that was a stand they took. I'm not saying avoid church at all costs, I'm saying it's not a christian responsibility to go every sunday morning night and wed night to be a "good" christian.

karen

14. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Chet,

Sorry to be so remiss in responding to your post. Guess this one hid from me. No, I wrote that myself some time ago. There may be bits of MacArthur in there, but it's mostly John Wells. Concerning your first disagreement, I said "committed," and you understood "attending." Of course those who physically cannot attend are not sinning. But that doesn't keep them from being committed to their church that they were active in until they could no longer be active. They can give (if they have the means). Anyone who cannot attend a local church can at least pray for the church, people, and pastor.

Chet: I tell you, what a statement. Where does the Bible say that we cannot love our brethren unless we go to a local assembly?

Are you saying that we can merely think about loving our Christian brethren? What is love without action? How can you be true to all that Jesus commanded believers to “be about:” edifying, teaching, showing compassion, bearing one another’s burdens, apart from a church? Now I’m not totally against house churches, which would be the option in your example of no “good choices” within a reasonable distance. Start a home-based church and grow it into a full-blown church.

You later in another post cited some verses of which I will repeat two:

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
    John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command.

And then add a command:

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I do not suggest that a person not active in a local church is not saved, but if they are able and don't, they are clearly out of the will of God! ;)

God bless you my brother in Christ

John

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

15. Chet

Chet New Member

Thank you Brother John for your reply, it means a lot to hear from you. I truly agree with your first comment, we should be committed. As a member of the Body of Christ, I think I am committed, though I sure wouldn’t want to toot my own horn. Your post was seasoned with grace. Grace is something that is lacking tremendously from our local churches. Legalism seems to be prevailing more and more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Are you saying that we can merely think about loving our Christian brethren? What is love without action? How can you be true to all that Jesus commanded believers to “be about:” edifying, teaching, showing compassion, bearing one another’s burdens, apart from a church?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> John, are you saying that it is only possible for us to love our Christian brethren only inside of a local Church, and that is the only place we can show that love? I have a
    great love for many here on the BB, I pray for them and hope the best for them. I also
    have a heart for this bb in that it will be a place for edifying. In fact some members of this BB has edified me greatly through e-mails and PM. I hope that I was edifying to them as well. As well, people have certainly taught me here online, and I hope that my post has done the same. My wife and I meet with someone who lives 45 minutes away every Tuesday morning, for the purpose of teaching her, and of course we are our own teacher. The things that we are asked to to in the Scripture concerning the welfare of others is not bound by going/not going to Church. And to be honest John, I personally feel that these things are not being done in the local churches either.
    Concerning Christ Commandments: I will start a new thread, I will then provide a link to it here.

And then concerning Hebrews 10:25 I will repost what I posted earlier in this post:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But there are questions that must also be raised as to what exactly the writer of Hebrews had in mind:
    1. Forsake is a very strong word in the Greek, could it merely imply simple Church
    gatherings?
    2. Why were they not to forsake the assembling of themselves?
    3. Who were the Themselves? Who all did they include?
    4. What is the day that was approaching?
    Of course I have some thoughts on this passage, but would like to see others input
    on it first. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

redwhiteandblue I have agreed with your post on this subject, great job.

With love,
    Chet

Here is that link:
    Christ Commandment

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Chet ]

16. livin'intheword

livin'intheword New Member

I don't know about you all, but I get alot of Joy from going to church. There's not really anything that would keep me from it. I suffer from horrible headaches and 9 times out of 10 those don't even stop me from going. When I hear people saying things like " allow me to sit through a service", I don't understand that. My deep hunger for the word keeps me in church. I don't understand a whole lot about the bible, and it serves me well to be around people that do. I'm past the "milk" stage of the word and I need a little help understanding the "meat" part. I just don't see why someone wouldn't find joy, peace, strenght and hope in the fact that WE GET TO GO TO CHURCH! I always correct my kids when they say " We have to go to church on Sunday", No you don't have to, you get to. I pray that all of you will find a loving church, and that God will deepen your hunger for his word. Church isn't just about you, its about bringing love and hope to your Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Sure, you can love them when you're not in church, but if that's where your broters and sisters are then wouldn't you have an easier time following Gods word to be there also? Just a thought.

Paua

17. Amazing_Grace

Amazing_Grace New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet:

It was asked how many of us really go to Church. I would like to answer that. First I am the Church. I am part of the Body of Christ. The last local Church that I was a member of lasted for one year. We started it, and it disband about three months ago. Since then my wife and I have visited three different local Baptist in our area (within reason) and of those I preached at one of them. What I found were people who knew absolutely nothing but a fleshly feeling of self worth because they were there. Now that is not true of every member I am sure! But it sure can be said of most.

With love,

Chet
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Chet! Remember me? I was surprised in reading your post. I am assuming that First Baptist was one that you attended? Not trying to drum up attendance numbers or anything, but I am surprised you did not feel at home there. I began going there a couple of years ago, pretty much knowing nothing, and have found that it has been a great place for me to grow.

Some things work for some people better than others, I guess. When did you go? We were without a permanent pastor until a few months ago, and I think we're making some great changes with the new one.

I will readily admit we have a few sourpusses, but we also have plenty of those who are happy in the Lord.

I get so upset when I hear stories about a few rotten apples....sadly it seems that sometimes Christians can be helping the enemy and they don't even know it. They certainly can make something as simple as the Love of Christ difficult. But I digress....

Please feel free to e-mail me about this!

With Love