1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians that separate/divorce

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AlexL, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I read that to mean that gb93433 was wondering why the church wasn't taking a part in helping this family work on their marriage or what role they were playing -- not that the church leadership had a part in it's failure.

2. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

But again, the church, whether members or anyone else is out of bounds meddling into the marriage of a man and woman. Unless the couple agree to solicit help it is out of bounds for anyone to interfere. I understand the question and this is still my response.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Are you certian divorce is a sin?

Matthew 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
    7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
    8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
    9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I thought the sin was adultry if you married again???

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church discipline will not be asked for in most cases, and the church shouldn't wait to be asked. The church is not out of line in seeking to help a family that is part of the Body of Christ during a time of crisis. I believe the other members would be sinning against God if they ignored their brethren and didn't attempt to intervene and help.

By the way, church discipline concerns restoration, not punishment.

peace to you:praying:

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've got to agree with with canadyjd. The church as a body can't just idly sit by as a marriage crumbles! I don't understand how that's beneficial to anyone. If the couple point blank tells them to butt out, then they can back off, but to not make an effort . . .

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Soi it is okay to condone what God hates by sitting idly by and do nothing?

Got news for you in that I was a part of a couple's mariage being saved by some of the leadership confronting the couple. That couple has visited my family many times since we have moved.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mal. 2:16, "For I hate divorce," says the Lord, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the Lord of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously."

Mt. 19:8 He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way."

1 Cor. 7:10-12, "But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife. But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her."

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Regarding Mal, Judah had started divorcing as a way of life. This was evidenced by Jesus in MT 19:8. This is not divorce stimulated by a partner's sin or unwillingness to maintain the marriage covenant. Their divorces were motivated by lust or just an older man's desire for a new and younger wife. This kind of faithlessness is what God can't stand.

Paralleling that with Pauls discussion in 1 Cor, you can see there may become a time when divorce is the lesser of evils. I am in no way saying God is in favor of divorce under any circumstance, but is it a sin? Notice how Jesus said in Mt 19:9 "...except it be for fornication".

I believe it is better stated that not all unions are blessed by God. Some people marry out of lust or other earthly desires... That's why it says, "what God has joined together". No one can seperate two who were joined together by God.

9. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the varying divine institutions and the proper structure of authority for each. It would be no different than for example a church, which is a divine institution, being interfered with by let's say the government in the case of the church failing. The government (I am talking about civil government) has no so and no business interfering in the polity, policy or process of the church, albeit in some cases they do, it nevertheless is wrong. God structured the authority of the church and government and neither has authority over the operation, success or failures of the other. Simply because on institution or the participants within one or both of the institutions believes they have answers for the others does not give them any right to barge in and begin attempting to control and influence the other.

In a marriage the head of the marriage is the husband and the wife answers to the husband and the husband to God. At no place and at no time are others authorized to interfere with that process.

A right thing done in a wrong way...is wrong. It is not a matter of condoning or condemning, firstly that isn't your right anyway, God has already stated the divine viewpoint of divorce. IT is a matter of respecting God's design and his divine institutions.

#29 Mr.M, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  10. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

LeBuick, with the exceptions noted, yes. With the degree of knowledge being demonstrated here I assumed that most, if not all, understood the few conditional exceptions. But even in those cases there is debate but for the sake of not getting of on a rabbit trail, I recognize the exceptions, in this case it is not one of those exceptions.

#30 Mr.M, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007