1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians trying to bind the hurricane

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Sep 6, 2004.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

I have a question.
    On other boards I see many christians which see Satan behind the hurricanes and they speak against the hurricanes and bind them and command them to go away and as you can see it doesn't change anything. I think this whole stuff is ridiculous. They do just like they are Jesus and can dictate the hurricane to be still.
    I guess they are word of faith christians which think as long as they say something and have faith that it has to happen. I think this is really sad cause many christians are misled by this and they think they can say whatever they want and then God has to do it. :(

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Jimbo! They'll never have that same desire---to stand in front of a oncoming locomotive and say the same things, will they???!!! See?? They can stand in front of a hurricane and try to stop it with their words of faith---and the 'cane's wind will just "breeze on around" them and keep going----but the locomotive won't just "breeze on around" will it!!!

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I believe that hurricanes,(as well as tornadoes here in Texas) are in Gods control at all times.

If HE chooses, He can stop them. So when someone atributes it to satan and starts to bind it, and rebuke it, God is probably not happy!!

We would do better to pray and ask God to slow it down, stop it, turn it, whatever.

JMOHO

Tam

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

I don't understand what you want to tell me. :confused:

5. askM

askM New Member

Word of Faith movement is very dangerous. Unless you know your bible and are very strong and grounded in your faith, beware, and don't listen to them, not even out of curiosity. God is in control. We don't like things like hurricanes or other natural disaster, but all things work for the good of those who love the Lord. His reasons are not our own. Sometimes we must go through trials, even hurricanes, to strengthen us. Then we look back and realize that if it wasn't for the trials, we wouldn't be the people we are today.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't understand what you want to tell me. :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]He's speaking cajun again.

I also agree that God is in control of the winds and storms and we can pray for protection and God's will in our lives but no number of believers can change the winds if God so wills them blow...

Diane

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, it worked for Pat Robertson.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

He wasn't able to pray away prostate cancer was he, even with millions praying with him?

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

See?? Its like this! They are willing to stand in front of the Hurricane and "bind it" etc. --- and then when the 'cane doesn't do what they want it to do---they can just shrug it off!!

They wouldn't be so "hasty" to stand in front of an oncoming locomotive and try to bind it----when it hits them they won't be able to shrug it off!!

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is absolutely no Biblical teaching or mandate for us to bind anything -- demons, hurricanes, Satan, or whatever. I always chuckle when I hear about people trying to bind Satan -- it hasn't worked too well, has it?

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

If Satan is bound---how come he escapes so easily?? As if those spiritual ropes were made of paper!!!

12. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Yes, you are right.
    They confused me big time! :(
    I don't even know how to pray anymore. I feel like I don't have enough faith cause I cannot pray like them. I mean I cannot pray for something and know that God will really give it to me, I mean it's up to God and not to me. :/

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

They take this scripture out of context and use it as their basis for their 'binding' of things.

14. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

@ Diane

what would you say does Mt 18:18 really mean?
    What are we supposed to bind and loose?

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That scripture and John 20 are quite clear. Jesus was talking to his Apostles about forgiveness of sins.... salvation. We don't forgive or lose / bind. We share Jesus with others.

John 20:19 In the evening of that first day of the week, the disciples were gathered together with the doors locked because of their fear of the Jews. Then Jesus came, stood among them, and said to them, "Peace to you!" 20 Having said this, He showed them His hands and His side. So the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! Just as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 After saying this, He breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

16. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

From a slightly different view. [​IMG]

God *can* control all the weather. Just as Jesus spoke 'Peace' to the storm on the lake in response to the disciples cry for help...

satan is not yet, fully defeated, (in the sense that he is not yet bound and thrown into the lake of fire).

satan is called the prince of the power of the air...
    So, it is possible that satan can influence the weather adversely...

But, Greater is He that is in me that he that is in the world...

There are also climatalogical forces at work simply because we live on a rotating ball with an atmosphere with large oceans that are heated by a nice warm sun... (All of which I am very grateful to God for! :D )

To automatically start binding and rebuking a storm as a satanic force is unwise, IMHO.

There *may* be stanaic forces at work... But, it is *not* a given...

Better to pray for the God we serve to guide evacuation orders, reduce the intensity, and protect His children...

But, of course, if you have a Discerning of Spirits, a Word of Knowldege or such that makes it perfectly clear it is a satan spirit at work...

Then have at... If you are right... It will obey...

If you are wrong... You will be imbarrassed... [​IMG]

17. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

@ Diane

I'm still a young christian and the problem is how shall I know the truth? I mean no matter which topic you pick from the bible there are always different opinions. How shall I know wether something is correct or not when the bible itself is not clear and it's all down to interpretation. :confused:
    I mean all these word of faith preachers seem to really get along well with their stuff. If this stuff did not work wouldn't they realize it and admit it? :confused:
    Or do they know it's wrong but stick to it in spite of it.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They forget two important things:

1 - Scripture says that the sun shines and the rain falls on both the just and unjust. (note that scripture does not call rain evil, or sun good).
    2 - Those folks are presuming that hurricanes are bad. They're not. They just are. People often consider something bad if somehing bad happens because of them. That's a form of relativism. The old "If a rock falls, it's neither good nor bad, but if it falls on me, it's bad". Mentality. We live on a dynamic earth that is ever changing. We take risks by choosing what to do and where to go. For example, I live in earthquake country. Yet, I don't consider earthquakes bad. Why? Because I kow how to live through them, just like I know how live through rain, or cloudiness, or hot & sunny, or windy, etc etc.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

First off, Jimbo, Matt 18 has to do with church discipline. Read the whole chapter.

Secondly, as far as the above goes, you need to realize that you need healing after being in a group like Word-Faith. They have damaged a lot of people who end up feeling the way you do. Don't worry about how strong your faith is when you pray or what you are believing -- just pray. Go to God as your "Abba" -- your "Daddy" and talk to him as a child talks to his father. That is how we approach Him in Christ. God loves you. He knows what you have been through and what you are struggling with. Turn all this over to Him and ask for His help. He will give it!! [​IMG]

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They don't do all that great. Some of them and their relatives have died of diseases. People leave WOF every day and often due to illness. They are ashamed because they think their faith is not strong enough and that is why they are sick. The WoF is a spiritual con game -- stay away from it.

You need to find a good church, Jimbo. A solid, Bible-based church that is focused on serving Christ and teaching the word. There not that many interpretations -- believers have secondary differences but the essentials are clear.

If you want some info on WoF, here are links that might help you:

General articles on WOF:
    http://www.banner.org.uk/sum_wof.html
    http://www.watchman.org/reltop/charisma.htm
    http://www.watchman.org/profile/wordpro.htm
    http://www.watchman.org/reltop/rprtldie.htm

Pages with several links to problems of the WOF teachings:
    http://www.banner.org.uk/sum_wof.html
    http://www.letusreason.org/WFDir.htm