1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas; Economy or Secularism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

This evening after a Church function my wife and I decided to drive through several neighborhoods to view Christmas decorations as we used too do every Christmas Season when our children and grandchildren were small. It has probably been 4 or 5 years at least since we had done such. We drove around for about 2 hours I was astonished and amazed at how few decorations both Christian and secular that we saw compared to the few short years. We live in an area of a hundred thousand people and I would estimate that we saw about 20 to 25% to maybe less compared to what we saw a few years ago. I remarked to my wife that a small percent of this decline was due to a stagnant economy but most of it was due to just a downright deemphasizing of Christmas in our present culture and. secular world. Have any of you taken notice of this?

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not in my area. We've got some "world famous" Christmas displays around the Kansas City area. While the media and certain groups want to wage a war on Christmas, I don't believe it is settling in at the individual level. People still celebrate Christmas, and if there is any reduction in displays, it is likely economics related as opposed to a de-emphasis of the season.