1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas or Holiday? Time to MAN UP!!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have also learned to stop expecting the unsaved to act like they're Christians.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I don't think there is anything "unsaved" about wishing someone "Happy Holidays." There are lots of holidays going on.

It's not my preferred greeting. I think "Merry Christmas" is always appropriate, but we shouldn't expect everyone to like it.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Wow! I guess if this is how the majority of christians feel, then we deserve a holiday season. We didn't have that when I was a kid. It was Christmas. I guess it is just the whole decline of our world that is getting to me. It used to be a better place. But it's supposed to go this way right? Merry Christmas!! :tonofbricks:

Soulman

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Go what way? Who cares what one labels any holiday? Can you supply the Scritpure where we are supposed to recognize Christ's birth?
    Do you also get bent out of shape when someone says Easter as opposed to Resurection Sunday?

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Guess what, man. Even if things had the appearance of being better, it doesn't mean they actually were. Just because more people called it "Christmas" or because they prayed in school or because a lot of people went to church doesn't mean there was a heart change actually taking place.

Plus, things are not declining. There are wonderful, marvelous things going on around the world to further Christ's Kingdom that have just been happening for a few decades.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think most people believe the world was a better place morally in the past. You have a point and I will say that nearly every generation has had it's challenges. But you are naive to think the world is not declining. But it's ok. Everyone has an opinion.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Hmmm...naive?

The thing about the world declining comes from a proliferation of a dispensational mindset.

Check out what was happening in Rome around the time of Christ. Makes our current society seem like Pleasantville.

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The world as a whole is on the decline. Nothing to do with dispensationalisim. Where did that come from? Anyone can see the world spiraling out of control. Yes God is in control. I mean mans control.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The constitution doesn't "protect" the right of christmas. The constitution assures citizen rights and provides a framework, structure, and limits to our government. Note Christians weren't the only ones who originated with our colonies. There were Jews here as well as well as the american natives. So from the very begining our country had multiple cultures and views.

10. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I hate it, too. But sad to say that this is more evidence that tha salt has lost its savour, and we all know what happens to useless salt.

How many Christians actually look for opportunities to share Christ at Christmas?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That could be said of any of the other 364 days, too. Ironically Halloween is the best holiday to share Christ. That is the only day each year the lost come to YOUR door in large numbers :)

12. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

agreed

LOL. Never thought about that last sentence before! But I have always looked at Halloween as a great opportunity. I would get good tracts for kids to go with the candy.

As for Christians not sharing Christ on most days, "Christmas" opens the door to easy conversation. It is a great time to start doing what should be done.
    See my website below for one tool for sharing the Christmas story.

#32 shodan, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Why should they not call it "Holiday Parade"? It's not specifically a church event, is it? I came across this at http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13341700:

The parade of lights takes place every year on the second Saturday night in December and is one of Tulsa's best holiday traditions. Several companies, organizations, and churches participate each year.

The parade includes a variety of entertainment including spectacular floats, marching bands, dance teams, specialty groups, and even giant helium filled balloons like the ones seen in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Dance teams, helium ballons, spectacular floats - how does calling such a thing by a name other than "Christmas" constitute an attempt to silence Christianty? Put it another way: Would calling it a "Christmas Parade" turn it into a presentation of the gospel?

14. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Call it what you will. We just don't need government coming in and telling us to change something that has been called the Christmas Parade for years. Where do they get off? The lack of christian outrage goes along with the times I guess. WE are willing to tolerate all religions in our nation while it's ok to flat out discriminate against christianity. Up is down, down is up.:sleeping_2::sleeping_2:

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Happy Holidays!

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If your government was telling you that you could no longer preach the gospel, read the bible, talk to others about the Saviour, or meet together for worship, then yes, I would agree, that would be discriminating against Christianity. But this parade is not specifically Christian, is it? And calling it a "Christmas Parade" will not make it a Christian event, will it?

I am sure in the US, as here in the UK, many people will be going to "Christmas parties", send cards to wish each other a "Happy Christmas", and sitting down to a "Christmas dinner", but are all such people Christians?

Being a Christian is knowing the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour, the only One to free you from sin, death and hell.