1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas or X-Mas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have about 15 weeks to discuss this!
    Is it wrong to use the term " X-Mas" ?

What is your thought -
    after you have written down your answer - read this link

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

All letters and words are symbols that point to a greater reality. It doesn't matter what language or customary abbreviation we use to denote Christ (such as X or Xp from the Greek word "Xpistos" which is transliterated as "Christ" in English), it does not change the reality of who Christ is or indicate our level of devotion to Him.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I used to get all bent out of shape about "Xmas" until I learned the truth about what "X" stood for.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

X ALSO used to mean "this is where you put 'your mark' (i.e., your "X") if you didn't know how write your name when signing an important (code= "if you don't abide by the terms of whatever is stated above.....well, WE HAVE OUR WAYS to encourage you to do so!!!" :smilewinkgrin:

(And that's why you'll see an "X" printed before most every form that you fill out now days.)

Oh, I digress.....

PERSONALLY I don't "do" Xmas (e.g., trees, decorations, sending out cards, having parties, exchanging gifts, etc., etc.), but if YOU want to "do" Xmas, THAT'S ENTIRELY UP TO YOU!!! :thumbsup:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(See Romans 14:5-13 is my justification for believing what I do about this. What's your BIBLICAL justification for doing (or not doing) what you do or not do regarding Xmas, Halloween, Easter, New Year's, Groundhog Day, etc.? :laugh:)

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Neither. We are Baptists, we don't celebrate mass.

;)

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

You must not be a very good Baptist then!!

EVERY SUNDAY immediately following dismissal from our services, we practice MASS speeding out of our parking lots to CHOW DOWN before the Methodists come in and take all of the good food off of the buffet line!!! :laugh::laugh::tongue3:

(Especially if the preacher just finished his six-months' series on "Why We Baptists Should Fast At Least Once A Week!!)

#6 ktn4eg, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I use the same verses- your interpretation is wrong!:laugh:

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The abbreviation X-Mas arises in medieval Christianity since the X represents the Greek letter X which is the first letter in in the title Christ given to Jesus. It was perfectly acceptable to use the abbreviation then and it continues to be so now.

The history of antiquity through the medieval period demonstrates that this kind of practice was commonplace and is a fine way to go about things. Every Christmas for the past several years I've put up a sign outside my office that says "Keep the Chi in Christmas: because early Christians believed in Greek abbreviations."

I don't understand why some Christians get so bent out of shape over this....well, I do understand why I guess I just don't understand how they get so bent out of shape after being told the whole story.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't think it's wrong. But I certainly believe that it is part of the evil movement to remove Christ from the public discourse.

There's just something very spineless, once again, in how the Church is allowing the world to make them cede this ground.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The church cedes nothing. Matthew 16:18.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Somebody has allowed the folks to take prayer out of school, make abortion legal, put filth in our living rooms, etc.

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And, as a sort-of trade off, in order to fill the (whatever you want to call it) "vacuum," we TAXPAYERS are now FORCED to pay the salaries of POLICE OFFICERS ("School Resource" Officers is the PC designation for them) to patrol the campuses of our public schools!!

Not, IMHO, a very equitable trade off!!

And, though my PRAYERS go out to these COURAGEOUS men and women who do such POLICE work in our public schools (and their families as well), even they weren't able to prevent the KILLING of the born-again (and very PREGNANT!) cousin of one of my church's deacons who taught in a public school near the small KY town of Paducah. She stood between her young students and the KILLER and thus GAVE UP NOT ONLY HER OWN LIFE, BUT ALSO THE LIFE OF HER UNBORN BABY GIRL to save the lives of her students. (Would any of you ladies on BB be willing to do the same for both you and your yet unborn baby daughter??)

-----------------------------------

Didn't mean to derail this otherwise good pro- or con- thread on X -mas, but this just struck a raw nerve because it happened no more than a hundred miles from where both that deacon, his late cousin (and her unborn baby daughter), and I live.

"Greater love hath no man [or, in her case a very pregnant mother, wife, cousin or middle school teacher] than this, that a man [or, "see above'] lay down his[/her/her unborn baby's] life for his/her friends."

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that you do not celebrate the holiday on 25 December

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Sorry, but thou art the one whose interpretation is wrong because my interpretation cometh from the AUTHORIZED, CORRECTS-THE-NON-EXISTENT-KOINE-GREEK-MANUSCRIPTS, THAT-WAS-GOOD-ENOUGH-FOR-THE-APOSTLE-PAUL KING JAMES VERSION; whereas thine interpretation is based on ......well..... whatever mine isn't!!!

So there....... :tongue3: