1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas Sunday Service Cancelled?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by govteach51, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

We will be having our regular Snday Morning Schedule (Sunday School and Worship Service), but will be dismissing Sunday evening services.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are having a combined 10:30 service with no sunday school. While I don't like the no sunday school part, I understand why the decision was made to go that route. With so many people out of town, with small children, or visiting other churches in the area, the attendance would be horrible.

3. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

No services on Christmas day. Candlelight Communion on Christmas Eve.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We'll have the Lord's Supper and that'll be it.

In years past. our church always observed the Lord's Supper at the end of the Sunday evening service (on the fifth Sunday). Our present pastor instituted the practice of making the observance alone the service. One song, a prayer,some announcements, then the observance.

We also used to have the organist play soft music while the elements were being distributed. Now, there's complete silence.

I wanna tell you, it is really something. There is a reverence, a solemnity that permeates the service.

At one time, we'd sing "Blest Be the Tie" and leave. Now, at the end of the observance, we close with prayer, and silently leave the auditorium. Ordinarily, at the end of a service, there's always hand-shaking, some hugging, fellowshipping with each other. Not now. The handshaking and fellowshipping is delayed until we get to the lobby, and even then it's subdued. And conversation is at a minimum.

That's what we'll do Christmas morning.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We decided not to do SS but it really wasn't about the attendance which would probably be awful. We did it so that everyone - children's workers and all could celebrate Christ's birth together as a body of believers. The first Christmas had the cries of a baby, so Christmas # 2011 can too.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The church where I go has only has what is commonly called "Sunday school", or Bible study as it's called there, a morning service after that, dinner and then an afternoon service at 3 PM, and that's it for the week.

Christmas day all but the morning worship service will be cancelled.

7. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

We'll be having our regular 11:00 AM service. If you're in our area, you're welcome to join us.

8. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Thanks for the gracious invite.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church is small and most will be out of town on the 25th (including me). We will have 3-4 families and one of the men - an elder-in-training - will lead a "more relaxed" service.

But they will sing and pray and observe the Lord's Table and spend time in the Word.

10 am on the 25th if any are in the Casper, Wyoming, area.

10. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I am going to be out of town too, but if you are in Orange County we are the only Baptist church on FM 1442 in Mauriceville,TX. Our service will be at 10:30am on the 25th.
    We would be more than glad to have you.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is pretty much how we will be - probably 3 or 4 families. But it will be wonderful anyway!

12. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

Got my posts mixed up, anyway, I am like many of you, I think there maybe 6-7 families on Christmas.

#72 govteach51, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011