1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Christmas"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Harold Garvey, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Ok, so you think that somehow Christmas and Luke 2 are so opposite to each other that we cant rejoice in our feast and celebration surrounding the birth of Christ just as they did and it be the same

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why would we feast and celebrate? Jesus didn't feast and celebrate at his birth?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Here's the gist: Harold is so angry, so mad, that he started a thread to argue. Even though it doesn't make since, he argues for the sake of arguing. He doesn't feel complete unless he manages to put everyone on the "other" side of him.

Sad, really. I was in a church like that once. No joy in anything.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ok, I missed it.

Please explain the point of adding a word to Scripture. If the word was supposed to be there, don't you think that God would have put it there? And what's so hard about reading Luke 2 and understanding that it's talking about the birth of Christ, thus, it's what we commonly refer to as the Christmas story?

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

The angellic host celebrated, Simeon did, certainly Joseph and Mary did too, why not we? Are you saying Mary tried to feed Jesus and he was on his first fast and praying?

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Your comments are like some one trying to paint a house in Denmark from a deep dark cave in Australia. Seems more you left a church all bitter and are doing the same old tired casting of stones. We left 3 churches and are to this day heatbroken over their present condition. It was all due to leadership problems in two and the one we love the most was because of distance. So before speaking so rashly you ought to compare our DIFFERENT situations. My intent was to ask why "Christmas" is as defined in Luke 2 why we dont have it somewhere within the Bible? "The Prodigal" "The Beatitudes" are there, yet no word is in the text of the underlying Greek for where they are found. TRY DEALING with the topic or is it my person you're infatuated with!

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

All I will say so as to not be misunderstood is that we agree.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't think they laid out chocolates, fruit cakes, sausage balls and wrapped him in wrapping paper, no.

And as much as I appreciate Christmas, I am much more appreciate of what comes with Easter.

#88 SaggyWoman, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That's good, but it leaves me confused about why we're having this discussion. Oh well, I don't claim to understand everything. Carry on. :wavey:

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

No Christmas, no Easter. I appreciate your civilty. I would think if at all possible, Jews imparticularly, would have roast lamb and bitter herbs at this event if it were possible, but definitely not sausage balls.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Well, the Jews weren't celebrating Easter either. They were celebrating Passover.

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Yet converted Jews do celebrate Easter and Christmas inthe Biblical sense

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Not every Jew is converted.

Besides, Easter and Christmas are pagan.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did I say they were opposite? No. They are different. One is the actual event that happened and the other, by definition is the remembrance and celebration of that actual event. Why don't we call our wedding day our anniversary? Because it's not. It's our wedding day. The following year, we call the same day our anniversary which is a celebration of the event the year before. Two different events thus two different names.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I rarely use the word "Beatitudes," and can do without it.
    I don't have to use the title "Prodigal Son" either. It is not important to me.
    However, you should study your Bible better:

Deuteronomy 4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Deuteronomy 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.
    That is only your opinion. It goes against Scripture. It is also contrary to History. It is simply opinion and that is all. Some people refer to this season as Noel. Are they wrong as well. There is no "Christ" in Noel. But then you would show your prejudice against all the French people, even though you probably sing "The first NOEL, the angels did sing..."
    Why? Of what importance is it? What if I don't even use the word? It isn't important to me.
    For what, and why?
    You are the one that wants to make additions to the Bible. Amazing!!

16. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Unconverted Jews neither celebrate the birth nor the Resurrection of Christ, and neither do we celebrate either as anything pagan. So there you would be wrong to give paganism credence over something so decidedly Christian.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So Harold. Should I call June 15, 1985 my "anniversary" instead of my wedding day? Should I show pictures of my "anniversary" with me in my wedding gown and my husband in his tux? Why not call it "anniversary"??

18. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Not exactly, both are surrounded by the initial event having at least some of the same occurances annually, or at least a happy joyous marriage should

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So instead of calling my wedding day my wedding day, I'll just call it my anniversary.

But anniversary of what?

Oh yeah, my anniversary.

Make sense? Nope.

20. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

DHK, you just made my point. Everything doesn't revolve around your view. The Bible references would include all the words in Ex 20 containing the ten commands God gave, yet The Ten Commandments as a single content are only the scope and not the entirety. This would mean there would be a "taking away" from scripture. People should KNOW what Christmas, Easter, The Prodigal Son, The Ten Commandments, The Beatitudes, The Mosaic Law, The Parables of Christ, etc. are distinctively Christian. INSTEAD, YOUR LEGALISTIC VIEW ALLOWS PAGANISM AND AGNOSTICISM A DOMINION GOD NEVER ALLOWS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.