1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christopher Hitchens

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SolaSaint, Dec 17, 2011.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I was listening to AF radio yesterday, I think it was Brian Fischer that was either reading an article or making the statement himself that "if Hitchens is in hell, it is because God loved him". What do you all think about that? I agree with it for Hitchens didn't want anything to do with God. He even made a comment that if after his death if it was said that he made a death bed conversion to ignore it because he wouldn't have been of sound mind.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was sad to hear the Hitchens died yesterday. I was holding out hope that he, like others, would finally give in to the call of the Holy Spirit.

It is interesting that so many of the major outlets are asking evangelicals to give their thoughts on Hitchens' passing. I also found it curious that they've asked no Muslims (or that he engaged with Isalm much in his life.)

I'm glad many of the commentators are going out of their way to point out that Hitchens and them had great relationships in spite of their differences. This should be a model for all of us, being gracious with people we disagree with. :)

3. marke

marke New Member

I don't believe that. If Hitchens is in hell, then it is because he refused to repent of his sins in order to get out of the enemiy's camp and be born into the family of God. Those who spitefully reject God and adamantly go on their wicked ways after God has revealed Himself to them, lovingly drawing them to Jesus by the enlightening of the Holy Spirit, then they seal their doom by such disrespect for God and the Holy Spirit. The Bible says He hates all workers of iniquity and that He will destroy them in wrathful anger, anger that He has toward the wicked every day.

God loves and he hates. He tells us to love and hate, as in "Love not the world..." (i.e. 'hate') God says a man cannot serve 2 masters, because he can only love one while hating the other. A man cannot serve God if he doesn't "hate" his father, mother, wife, and even his own life. The Lord sent Jehu to rebuke Jehoshaphat in 2 Chr. 19:2 "...Shouldest thou help the ungodly and love them that hate the Lord?..." David said in Ps. 139:31 "Do not I hate them that hate the Lord?... I hate them with perfect hatred..."

God hates His enemies with perfect hatred, which is not like the wrath of man or the type of hatred which is most common to man, but God does hate the wicked with perfect hatred which will be revealed when He destroys them in fierce wrath. Hitchens was unwise not to heed God's admonition to flee from the wrath to come.