1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ's escape route for temptation...?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Oct 12, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

It seems to me that the only way you can see the means Christ has given you to overcome a temptation is that you have to not want to do what you're tempted to do in the first place. That's the place that probably takes somone years to get your soul towards....

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, dear, I don't that I can live up to those expectations. :laugh:

Don't you think that Jesus, after fasting in the desert for weeks, wanted something to eat? I do. The bible says that after the devil tempted him and left him because he could not get Jesus to sin, that the angels came and ministered to Jesus.

3. UnchartedSpirit

so there is an easier way to finding a way out?

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there's a much easier way!

It's the Word of God. Everyone knows what sins plague them. And the bible says, "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee."

Jesus used scripture to combat the devil. When tempting Jesus to turn stones to bread, Jesus quoted Deuteronomy and said, "man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God".

Jesus was saying that there is a time to focus on the physical and a time to focus, intently, on the spiritual. That desert time was about Jesus and His Father....not getting something to eat.

Two more times Jesus used Deuteronomy to fight sin.

That's our escape. The Word of God. Find scripture passage that are meaningful to your own situation and memorize them and hide them in your heart.

Here's one I have to keep reminding myself of. "Let no corrupt communication come from your mouth, but that which is edifying and ministers grace unto the hearer."

5. standingfirminChrist

The escape? Look to God.

Submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

When temptations arise, the escape route has been provided. Not necessarily to take us away from the temptation, but to help us through it without giving in to it.

Christ is that way of escape, but the escape is not being taken out of the path of temptation, nor for the temptation to be taken from us. Remember the model prayer? In it Jesus said "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." Why not say deliver us from temptation? because Christ is our strength. He will be with us through temptations. As we look to Him, He will give us strength to go through, and bear the temptations without giving in.

James said, "Blessed be the man that endureth temptation..."

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

:thumbs::thumbs: AMEN!

7. UnchartedSpirit

see, why hasn't any other preacher, even Chuck Swindoll, explained this to me (well I really haven't had the time to listen to him)? Alright thanks anyway....though all passages of scripture I know that relate to my situtation just say don't to it. Christ dosen't serve me well enough if he's just going to be a mascot...

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If you really don't want to do something, where is the temptation? For instance, I am temted by many things, but never, ever by alcholic drinks. Why not? Nothing "spiritual" (no pun intended) - I just don't like the taste, and much prefer a cup of tea or coffee. The devil is subtle, so he is not going to waste his time trying to tempt me with alcohol. He will tempt me with something I do like, somethinmg which may not be sinful in itself, but can be so.

9. UnchartedSpirit

oh thats right! I was misreading it so that it fealt like God was doing the tempting not his adversary..

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

This is a good thread for 2Cor 7:9-11. The first step is AVOIDANCE for as long as you can. Take away all the opportunities you usually make to do the sin. Replace that time with something else, Eph 4:27-29. The desire will go away -- I promise!

skypair

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

I love the phrase "find a way out." Reminds me of 1Pet 3:15 which I think better reads "when you are suffering, trust God." That is, find a reason IN GOD for the hope that you have that He will SHOW YOU A WAY OUT! I have found this to be comfort beyond explanation! Miraculous in my life! I would encourage everyone to "look for God's way out" of whatever "besets" you. :godisgood:

skypair

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You do what you love to do. Sinning is all about love.

We sin because we see something we love in that sin. We need to replace that love for that sin with a greater love, that overpowers/replaces the love for that sin.

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

Scarlett O. gave you the right answer (good post Scarlett), the word of God is our refuge and strength. God himself is our escape.

I have verses on the wall and on my bulletin boards. Right over my desk where I can see it if I am on the computer I have Is 45:22

God is our escape, when I am tempted I quote scripture to myself or pray. It is kind of hard to hold sinful ideas when I am doing this.