1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chuck Smith

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by west, Sep 2, 2005.

1. west

west New Member

What do you think of his teachings ?

2. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

However, he is of the charismatic persuasion. I remember looking forward to his book on the Holy Spirit. After reading it I was disappointed. Just a bunch of straw man arguments against cessasionists and the 'it happened to me in the desert' theology of charismatic gifts (in the Pentecostal sense). The error of this line of thinking I believe is to base the Scripture on our experience, not let our walk with the Lord be shaped by the Word. Regarding charismatic experiences, how do you know that warm feeling in your belly is of God or just the burrito you ate for lunch?

Good teacher if you understand his point of reference.

3. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

A personal, Biblical look at a burgeoning group of churches
    offering believers a mixture of truth and error.

by Robert W. Hurzeler

THE FIRST CHURCH my family and I attended after we were saved in 1993 was a small Calvary Chapel in Central Oregon. We still love the people who first discipled us as new believers. My wife and I had no real background in the doctrines of the faith. We had very little understanding concerning the rapture, the millennial reign of Christ, the gifts of the Spirit or the function of the church in the life of the believer. We were taught many good and sound teachings by our new family in Christ, and I will be forever grateful that God used these folks to help us understand Him and know Him. However, it is not for the good teachings and sound doctrines we were taught that this article is being written. I write this article not out of malice, but of love. It is my hope that this article will help people who attend Calvary Chapels to see and understand the pervasive and dangerous doctrines within these fellowships and come to a right understanding of what the Scriptures really teach. This article is intended to help Fundamental Bible believers understand the errors of one of the fastest growing and most popular movements in the church today. The problem with Calvary Chapel lies in it’s Charismatic theology and its ecumenical nature.

Complete article at:

http://www.fundamentalbiblechurch.org/Foundation/fbcsomerefl.htm

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think Chuck Smith today is past his prime due mostly to the natural course of aging, but back in the 80's I thought he was great. This was the time of the Jesus Movement, when the church was literally out in the street going one to one with people. He was very pentecostal-ish, and to that end is where I disagreed with his doctrine. But on most other spiritual issues, I thought he was teriffic, and pretty right on.

The Calvary Chapel churches have changed quite a bit, have become a bit less pentecostalistic, and more mainline. They have grown into their own, and grown out of the oft-popular apocalyptic mentality that drove many folks in the 80's. While not my style of worship necessarily, they definitely have their niche.