1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chuck Swindoll and Jack Hyles

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by andy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. andy

andy New Member

Chuck Swindoll was the former Pastor of the First Evangelical free church of Fullerton, California. Jack Hyles was the late Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiania. Here are the doctrinal beliefs of the two men. 1) Christ died for all men not just the elect. 2) Eternal Security 3) Believers baptism by immersion. 4) Pretribulational and premillenial. 5) Pentecostal gifts are not for today. These two men have an identical statement of faith. However, look at the difference in METHODOLOGY between the two men. Which church would you rather attend next sunday and why?

2. MennoMan

MennoMan New Member

Jack Hyles taught that Man could manipulate God into getting what he wanted. I'd go to Swindoll's church. Besides, Jack built his ministry on the backs of his followers rather than thru the Holy Spirit.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with some of the theology of both men, but appreciated the spirit and teaching of Swindoll.

When a younger, legalistic, number-hungry pastor, I was enamored with Hyles. Went to his Pastor's School and thought many of his ideas were great. I grew in the Lord and in Grace and realized everything about him and his ministry was about "Jack" not Jesus. Sad.

As a middle-aged pastor, I was enamored by the easy, persuasive speaking-to-felt-needs of Swindoll. His book "Grace Awakening" reflected my theology (to a point). Doctrinally, his E-Free beliefs were nearly the same as mine and I have recently worked as a missionary with a local Free church.

Now I am older and 20/20 hindsight shows that both have weaknesses. So have learned to "eat the chicken and spit out the bones". But warn against the massive errors of Hyles and lesser errors of Swindoll.

And try to keep my own errors hidden. I'm still a recovering Pharisee, remember. [​IMG]

4. andy

andy New Member

Dear Dr. Bob, In what way are you a recovering Pharisee? Do you disagree with the way that B Myron Cedarhold ran MBBC? What are some of the errors of Swindoll?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Andy - I was raised very legalistically (if you DO "xyz" according to what is taught or said, then you are a good Christian). I didn't dance or go to movies or chew tobacco and kept all the man-made rules of the 50's and 60's.

Compared to most other christians, I felt I was better and more spiritual, etc. I deserved to be a christian; they didn't!

Now I see I was learning to be a Pharisee and rejoice in MY self-righteousness. I am never going to get over that; I am always in "recovery"!

I was there at the start of Maranatha and count Dr. Cedarholm as a dear friend and one I shall look up when I get to heaven. A school must have rules to keep it organized; they went a little overboard! Not as bad at BJU or Pensacola!

And Swindoll? He is not a Baptist so I have some fussing there. He is "inclusive" in the area of separation while I am "exclusive" (reason I can HELP a Free church temporarily but not pastor one).

6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Forgive me if this breaks the topic of this thread, but what, exactly, are the theological errors of Swindoll? I'm an avid reader and, when I can, listener, and I have yet to notice any errors.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an avid listener (and reader) of Chuck Swindoll. He is a gifted speaker and communicator.

We would differ on some areas of church polity (how to run a church), separation issues (holiness as well as ecclesiastical - church - separation), and importance of doctrine (local church, baptism, etc). But hey, I'm a BAPTIST and he ISN'T!!

These are MINOR differences where I think he errs but overall I commend him and am thrilled to find folks reading his works and growing in grace.

8. andy

andy New Member

Dear Dr. Bob, How did Maranatha compare to Hyles Anderson College? Is Maranatha KJVO? Is Maranatha as separatist as BJU? What is the position of the school concerning fundamentalism vs. new evangelicals? Would Maranatha allow Swindoll to speak in chapel? If the school did not allow Chuck to speak in chapel---is it because he is a new evangelical? How would this school compare to Cedarville in Ohio?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good questions, Andy.

Maranatha existed prior to Hyles. It was never KJVO like HAC became. It was never "easy believism" with the emphasis on numbers that HAC still is.

It would be akin to BJU academically only Baptist. It would be MORE separatist that BJU since men like Paisley are common at BJU and not in a Baptist school.

It is "historic independent baptist fundamentalism" and NOT new evangelical in any area. But not legalistic to the point (like BJU or HAC) where the Amish might not qualify to enter!

They would not consider Swindoll as a speaker; they probably will never have ME again, since I work with Free, CMA, Reformed as well as Baptist.

Acadmically akin to Cedarville (only MAranatha is a Bible college, with every student required a Bible core of 32+ credits). C'ville would be more open in music, dress, conduct and cooperation (they are SBC approved now) than MAranatha.

So, this is why I opted for Maranatha over a number of good schools and still recommend it today.

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Acadmically akin to Cedarville (only MAranatha is a Bible college, with every student required a Bible core of 32+ credits). C'ville would be more open in music, dress, conduct and cooperation (they are SBC approved now) than MAranatha.

I actually looked at both schools my senior year in HS. I applied for Moody, but like many of my friends was rejected (only one person made it- and at the time we all thought he had a screw loose).

My best friend graduates from Cedarville on May 1st. I'll be there to cheer him on. While they are pretty strict on clothing, music, and that type of thing, I've heard stories about things that happen in the freshman dorm that boggle my mind. They have some great professors though, having had a chance to converse with a few of them.

11. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Chuck Swindoll. Because I know him and agree emphatically with his theology!