1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churced Nonbelievers vs Unchurched Nonbelievers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, May 26, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

A friend and I were discussing this the other day and I was wondering about your view points.

Is it harder to lead the person who spent their whole life in the church, and "speaks the talk," but never made a personal committment to Christ to the Lord, or is it harder to lead the person who has never even heard the word of the Lord to Christ?

And why do you feel the way you do about whatever your answer is?

2. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

it is a Christians responsibility to give the gospel, what else can he do?
    it is the power of Gods word to work in those which are the elect or to be rejected by the reprobate.
    Christians need to understand that sin in man is why he rejects Christ, why do some people believe that some people are so smart and virtuous enough to seek the truth in God?

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

You make a valid point.

What started the discussion was the fact that when you teach a Sunday School class to a lot of kids who have "heard it all," but haven't taken it to heart - they often do not stop and consider that when it says ~all have sinned~ the bible is talking about THEM. They are "good people," they read the bible, they took a swim in the baptistry, they know the words to "Jesus Loves Me." You get a lot, "Yeah, yeah, David killed Goliath, Jesus walked on water," yawn.... Then, thankfully, God speaks to them and says, "Wait a minute. You have a good act going on, but I don't think we've actually met."

When you work with community centers and tell children, "Jesus loves you," there is excitement, eagerness to hear more. It is news to them.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

God draws them out one by one. As kids and adults sit in church week after week, they are hearing the gospel. All of a sudden someone you thought was saved for years will come forward and get saved. It is amazing!

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Soulman,

I must agree with you regarding the amazing.

I was very young when I actually came to know Christ. I grew up in a church where all my peers were preacher kids. One of my spiritual gifts is discernment, and even though some of the kids were truly amazing human beings, I could feel in my heart that they hadn't come to know the Lord even though they really believed they were Christians. They'd grown in God-fearing homes, they knew God's word, they'd been baptized. I actually cried myself to sleep some nights praying they didn't go to hell just because everyone else assumed they were saved. When they were in their late teens, one by one, they came to Christ, with the courage to step in front of the church and say, "I've been a pretender, now I know the truth."

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Not necessarily harder; just different ground needs to be covered. For instance, I've heard missionaries state that, in one sense, they are thankful when they go into nations where, for instance, the Catholic Church has already established missions therein, because the people have already been instructed that there is one God (not many gods, as their pagan religion once taught them) and other basics to Christianity. But on the other hand, it can make it difficult because many of those same people now think they can earn their salvation, etc.

So when you are dealing with different people, different ground will have to be covered. That's why it is helpful (although not always necessary) to know a person's basic presuppositions - e.g., what do they believe about God, do they even believe in God, etc.