1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church architecture ... inside the church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been fortunate in God opening doors and being able to travel a fair amount in my life. During travels I try to visit as many churches as possible and to look at the sanctuaries of many churches. I have slowly formed the following opinion on the architecture with sanctuaries;

1. Baptist and protestant churches in general are too sterile in the appearance of the sanctuary.

2. Catholic churches are too ornate with structures of little meaning. Also I do not like seeing large paintings of Mary in the front and center of the sanctuary with a painting of Christ on one side, not centered.

3. The Russian Orthodox churches are most to my liking. There artwork in them, IMHO, point more to Christ and are arranged beautifully. I have not been in enough Greek Orthodox churches nor Hussite churches to include them in this discussion.

4. There are some Lutheran churches in Europe that I really like. One in Tallinn, Estonia it wonderful. At the front and center is a large painting of The Welcoming Christ. This is one aspect of the Lutheran churches in Europe that I like. They tend to have paintings of a live Christ and often a welcoming Christ. Far too often for my taste RCC churches show a dead Christ.

What is your favorite type of architecture in a sanctuary?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually none..... Let me explain. I am a Primitive Baptist & our churches are just functional. We get by with a roof over our heads on cold & rainy days, a few fans & if lucky an AC unit in the window. If necessary you can hold services in my living room or on a nice June day like Im having today, on my porch & picnic table. None of that ornate stuff for us thank you.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Chairs/pews. Something to sit on. The church is just a building. The real "church" is the body of Christ and there is nothing more beautiful than the saints worshiping God in accord. I couldn't care less about the decor of the sanctuary.

#3 Amy.G, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't believe in the ornate representations of likenesses in heaven or the Godhead adorning a sanctuary.

I'm really not real keen on crosses either.

We attempt to make a likeness of God, who is NONE OTHER and Holy. This is why I feel we shouldn't make our sanctuaries this way.

He is way more holy than we could depict.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Ahhhh...great minds think alike! :1_grouphug:

:love2: :thumbsup:

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. I am not sure how I would react if I were to worship in such a church on a weekly basis. I do appreciate the artistic talent of those who painted the pictures and how they point to Christ.

In the Russian Orthodox Church it is tiring to go to a worship service as there are only a very few chairs or places to sit and those are for the elderly, sick or infirmed, everyone else stands for the entire service.

I agree worship can take place in a living room, under a tree .... anywhere.

#6 Crabtownboy, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  7. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

my kind of place

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL....thanks..... Iced Tea or Lemonade? :godisgood:

9. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

sweetened ice tea the south you know.....................

10. Dempster

Dempster New Member

I just like being around other believers and worshiping. My travels have also allowed me to go to many different churches. I have been to very ornate cathedrals with extremely formal liturgical services. At the other extreme, I went to a tent revival once in a First Nations village in rural Canada. I looked down the row of chairs where I was seated and saw a great big Indian woman sitting there holding a cat in her lap.....that was on a leash. LOL.....like I said, I just want to hear the Word preached.....don't really care about the setting much.

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite type... Air Conditioned! AC is REALLY nice. I'm not all that formal so it really doesn't matter. Believers can have church anywhere.:thumbs:

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the way you think!