1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Attendance

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by PatriarchPhil, Dec 13, 2005.

1. PatriarchPhil

PatriarchPhil New Member

Why are so many beginning to rationalize missing worship? What are your thoughts?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe there is nothing much worth listening to and the people in the church do not care enough to love others.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is a no win question. If attendence goes down, then the church or its attendees are accused of worldliness. If attendence goes up, then the church or its attendees are accused of watering down the gospel. Ya can't win.

But to answer your question objectively, I suspect that this is due to everything from laziness to worldliness to legitimate reasons.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I used to know someone who was a "cornfield preacher". He preached out in farm country. There, when there was a meeting held, practically everyone showed up. Some wanted to be seen as being godly and righteous. Others were bored.

Nowadays, people by and large don't care about godliness and righteousness (even within the Church), and there's certainly no reason to be bored with satellite TV, video games, etc. There's 24 hour excitement!

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

What do you mean begining? They have been doing it since the start of the Church.

I hear many excuses, such as, it is the only day we get as a family, you cut out the 9:15 service as it is too much to spend 2 hrs at church on Sunday, and my all time favorite is Jennie has soccer on Sundays and she just can't miss out on soccer. :rolleyes:

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I wonder if this scripture has any thing to do with it?

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Hope of Glory & Chemnitz I believe is on the right track. All the devil needs is some weak Christians to decieve and rearrange their prioritys. When a movie or a football game gives presidence over having church, fellowship with other believes, and worshiping the Lord....we are in BIG trouble. [​IMG]

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Selfishness?

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Where I used to live, it was against the posted rules of the fields to have practice or games on Sundays or Wednesdays. (They went so far as to protect the mid-week meeting.) They would make occasional exceptions such as make-up games that had to be made up within an allotted time.

Here, where I live now, our local football organization does not have games or practice on Sundays. It really annoys the other organizations who come in for games because "Saturday their only day to spend as a family". And I always agree with them, and point out how enjoyable it is to spend the day as a family watching and playing football, and then they can spend Sunday together as a family also, just as we do.