1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

church attendance

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Jun 5, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

I was wondering how many sundays in a row or alltogether can a member miss before you discipline them.
    Also, have you heard excuses like being sick and you know they are going everywhere else.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Here, when a person does not attend at least 13 of 39 services (i.e., one service a week for a quarter), they are "inactive." They lose their voting and speaking privileges. To regain active status, they simply have to show up for 13/39 services.

As for excuses, if you know they are going somewhere else, I would ask them straight out about, in a loving tactful way. Find out why ... there may be a good reason.

3. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing this post brought a web site I had seen a while back about some of the excuses people use so as to not attend church. It took me a while to find it, but here is the link... http://www.fbbc.com/messages/misschurch.htm

It's kind of a humorous but yet serious look at the subject.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

Remembering President Reagan 1911 to 2004 [​IMG]

4. onestand

onestand New Member

I just find this thread humorous. Why would anyone need to make up an excuse for missing service a few Sundays? If my pastor came to me and asked me why I didn't show and after I told him (IF I FELT HE NEEDED TO KNOW)and he didn't believe me, I personally wouldn't care. If he wants to exclude me from rights in membership that of course is up to him and the church but reasons for missing is between myself and God.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What about the body of Christ to whom you made a commitment? God gifted you to serve that body by being in that body (1 Cor 12). When you are absent, you are not doing your biblical duty of obedience to God? Doesn't that matter?

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

By the way, the pastor has no authority to exclude anyone from the body. That is the responsibility of the body itself.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The restrictions in our constitution are there for a good reason. At one point, people who had not been in church in years showed up in a business meeting to have a voice in a particular matter. Because of hte poorly written constitution, a measure that was desired by the active membership was voted down by the people who did not care enough to be a part of the body.

8. TWade

TWade New Member

What are ya voting on?

9. onestand

onestand New Member

Pastor,

I am not talking about being absent for months on end, I'm talking about having to make an excuse to the Pastor or even being questioned about it. It's nice to be missed and make sure all is well, but to be disciplined for being absent I don't agree with.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

We aren't voting on anything now. At that time, they were voting on moving.

As far as disciplined for being absent, that takes place after being absent for "months on end." Discipline does not take place until you have been absent for a year. But in our body, if someone is missing, we want to know why and what we can do to fix it and get it back to normal. When something on my body doesn't work, I get it fixed. The same thing is true in the body of Christ.

11. TWade

TWade New Member

Just wondering if it wouldn't be best to allow the leaders/elders make decisions without any sort of congregational voting. Seems to me that this is the way to handle it.

12. steveo

steveo New Member

We all need accountability.
    Everybody misses once in a while but when someone shows up once every two months are they following the New Testament example of the early church?
    One thing I noticed over the years is that when somone stops coming there has always been some sin they are tangled up in and I think we need to help them as a church before it destroys them.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess most SBC churches need to discipline their members because only one out of three of the membership roll is in attendance.

I have never seen people who were being discipled ever miss church much.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If you are a presbyterian or something i guess that would be fine. :D ... In Baptist polity, the congregation is in charge. They decide who is a member and who is not.

15. steveo

steveo New Member

You said it. We do need to hold them accountable and take them off the books if necessary but then we couldn't brag about our numbers.
    To be discipled, they need to be at church.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Discipling begins with evangelism. It requires that we go to them first. Evangelsim does not begin in the church building. Jesus sent his disciples out two by two. When Jesus gave the command in Mt. 28:19,20 it meant that His disciples needed to leave their comfortable domain. Why be around the majority of people who never lead someone to Christ in their entire lifetime? Call that church? It is not the church I see in the NT. In real life it is the mother and father who nurture the children. They give to their children. It is not the children coming to the parents for food.

I have never been successful at discipling anyone within the walls of the church. It requires that I take them with me to do ministry and reach others in the community. The Pharisees don’t like it but the new believers do. Ever notice who leads the majority of people to Christ? New believers.

Sometime read (MODERATOR'S NOTE: link cut, as it is too long and displaces the page)

[ June 06, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

17. onestand

onestand New Member

If a church I was attending attempted to discipline me for missing service, I'd walk and find a new church to fellowship in.

18. steveo

steveo New Member

Discipleship in Acts 2 is within a group of people because it says "And THEY continued daily in the apostles doctrine"
    This is no excuse for people to be out of the church and say they are being discipled by someone.

19. onestand

onestand New Member

actually one can be discipled by a group of christians or one christian outside of church, i have been....nothing wrong with it.

20. steveo

steveo New Member

There are always liberal churchs that would be there to accept you [​IMG]
    We are not talking about missing one service but becoming a member and missing most services.
    We don't like the word commitment today.