1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Being Sued for practicing Matthew 18

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John Ellwood Taylor, Jun 5, 2006.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the church was within their rights to discipline the husband and was going about it in the right way. If Mr. Doe asked to leave the church, then he should have been allowed to leave and the church would have then 'let him be as the tax collector'. Contacting the other woman's pastor was totally within the rights of the church and I hope most churches do that. I don't think that the government should get involved with this.

We just had a church discipline thing happen and when we contacted the person's previous church, the pastor said that he knew about this man's behavior but never let us know about it even though he knew that the man was attending our church. He was asked to no longer come to our church because he didn't stop this behavior (acting very inappropriately around women) and our pastor said that he's going to let the next church know what he does too - so that they can protect their own congregation. It's a hard thing to do but one that will protect the other believers in the church and will also show a Biblical standard of living. Now, I don't believe that each occurance of church discipline should be brought before the entire church - discretion is needed here - but it should be brought before the pastoral and deacon staff so that it's not just one person's opinion.

Annie

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree with annsni.

I think the church had the right and the responsibility to do all the things that this article said they did. Contacting the other woman's church (since she was employed by them especially) seems to me to be the absolute right thing to do.
    Especially after all the private meetings that had been had with them beforehand.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OT - but Bapmom - check your PM.

Annie

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This church should of dealt with Mr. Doe in their own church openly and withdrew fellowship from him. When they stepped outside of their own church they opened themselves up for a law suit. The courts frown on Scripture. You better have it written down in your Constitution or when you go to court you will be in trouble. Know of a case similar and the woman received 1 million from the church for invasion of privacy. It is not the "old days" when most were Christians and the Pastor of a church better be aware of the dangers of going outside of the Church.
    If the church had of dealt with Mr. Doe openly they would not of had to worry about the woman's church finding out about it for believe me the phone's would of rung off the hook. Hope they get out of their mess without too much loss.

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

How strange that folks yell "separation of church and state" --- except when it involves the IRS and the legal system.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

True for sure

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Bob makes a good point. Regardless of how we feel about courts picking and choosing when they meddle in religious affairs, if it's not spelled out in a Constitution and By-Laws, you're just begging for trouble. People are itching to sue, and they won't blink an eye at suing a church. Remember that if a church is unincorporated, they can sue every single member on the roll, and it's all fair game.