1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Discipline and the Lord's Supper

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Jan 9, 2009.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

This part I do not understand. My thinking this is one of the responsibilities of the pastor. I guess in the case you speak of the pastor should report on all the counseling he does before the church. Not while I am a member!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In general, I agree with you. Pastoral counseling must have confidentiality. In the case under discussion, we are talking about a former member who resigned during the disciplinary process. The meeting with the pastor is not your normal pastoral counseling session. He is dealing with a problem related to the life of the church, and the church is entitled to know how it came out.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess I was assuming that when the exmember left the Church during the discipline process, which should have still been in a privacy state, then the process served its purpose tho not the best purpose. When the exmember comes back and counsels with the pastor the congregation doesnt need details, they just need a yea or a ney from their pastor. I have enough confidence in my pastor to go with his decision. If the Church does not have confidense in their pastor, it is time to form a pastor search committee.

But, I could understand your process if the Church was run under deacon authority.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm perfectly willing to trust my pastor to say yea or nay in this situation. but I believe the church needs to know which one he said. As a member, I don't need to know all the juicy details, just the decision.

The pastor would be wise, however, to share his thinking with the deacons--or elders, as the case may be. There is always going to be somebody in the church who won't agree, and support from his leaders will provide cover for him.

Our deacons don't run our church. We are servants. We work with and for our pastor. But he and we are accountable to our congregation and to each other.

If in doubt, "tell it to the church."