1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Discipline Effective;Necessary or Outdated; Unnecessaryah?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Feb 27, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Coming from small churches myself, I understand the hesitancy here... But at the same time we ought not let our fear of "numbers" be a hindrance in performing the necessary discipline within the church. Otherwise we open ourselves to tolerating more and more for fear of losing members. I'm not saying we should endorse any sin, nor am I saying that someone should be kicked out of the church for any sin. Gospel order ought to be observed.

If, after following the steps of gospel order, the person insists in continuing in their sin, then the church came remove them from fellowship. At that point it is better for the church that part or all of a family leave than for a member persisting in their sin to be tolerated. The key to all of this is that the church, especially among the elder, more well-seasoned members, has to teach that church discipline is a necessary thing. It is ordained of God in the steps of order.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as these two sisters - I never advocated they be removed from membership - only that they not be in any leadership position.

Problem is there were no other mature Christians in the church . IMHO - it was nothing more than a social club. As Assistant Pastor, I tried to instill just simple things such as bring your Bible each week, learn the books of the Bible, memorize (even short) Bible verses, regular attendance.
    We would average about 20-25 in MW, but only 5 in Sunday School. Seems people did not want to get up earlier for some good Bible teaching.
    Yet, when we would have a Breakfast - everyone would be there with bells on. - that is except for me. I finally decided to boycott those breakfasts - especially when the would cancel SS for the Breakfast.
    I recommended to the pastor that we have Sunday School after MW - in order to encourage people to attend SS - but to no avail.

This was just the tip of the problem.......

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If those two girls were mature Christians they wouldn't be unmarried, pregnant and holding leadership positions. Removing them would leave the same number of mature Christians available.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh yes...church politics. My question is why they had leadership rolls in the 1st place?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Church discipline is vital in the health of the church. Brushing away sin is wrong and when it is an obvious sin that affects the church, it is time to take some action. It needs to be done with grace and mercy - as well as firmness and love. We have had to do it numerous times and sometimes it results in hurt feelings, anger and resentment - and the person/people leaving and other times it has led to repentance and restoration - which is the ultimate goal. But even should it mean the end of the church, it should still be practiced because otherwise we have a very unhealthy church creating new unhealthy people. That is just not Biblical.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True -
    Now let me add a little more - One of them said she never actually was saved as a teen - and made a decision to accept the Lord - But continued to live with her boyfriend. Why didn't she get married right away ? the divorce from her first husband had not been finalized. Yes, she finally did get married. I refused to attend the wedding.

My wife and I have decided not to return to this church - even though we have to drive farther to another church. Nothing has changed - and I don't expect anything will.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So she said she was saved, was living in adultery and had a child by the second man? Was this the girl who was in ministry????

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, standing up front with the worship team nice and PG. - until I said something to the pastor.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Did the pastor not notice or was he waiting for someone to say something before he acted? Heck, we've pulled people from the worship team for a time when we know that they are having some relational issues or struggles in their life but all out obvious sin like that??? Oh my word, there is NO way!