1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church discipline gone wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pk4life, Jul 30, 2013.

1. pk4life

pk4life Member

I'm not a huge fan of BMI. I'm sure I'm overweight according to that.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone like David?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our measurement is that the circle of confession should be as large as the circle of offense. If one has wronged the church as a whole (maybe stole money from the offering plate), they need to confess to the whole church. But to MAKE someone confess in front of the whole church a sin that does not involve them is to make them wrong.

We did have a case of a young woman who confessed her promiscuity and pregnancy to the church but that was her request to do so. No one told her she had to do it and the pastors told her it was not necessary but it was necessary to her so she did it. It really was a sweet time and she continues to walk with the Lord, now married with more children and leading a Bible study for Muslim women in a closed country. :)

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's actually quite effective when used with the guidance of the Holy Spirit as opposed to thinking there's a set time frame for the person to "get it" and repent.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks...

....from Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Ted Haggard, Paul Crouch, and a whole host of others. I know for sure, that the above all publicly stood before their television audiences and cried their eyes out as they made confession and asked [begged] for forgiveness!

Nothing in the Word to support this practice, but, it is still a worthy attempt to right the ship they sunk with sexual indiscretions! :type:

BTW - all four are back at the helm of some form of ministry. You might remember that Paul Crouch was caught in fornication with a member of his staff, and the sin was a same-sex relationship that involved drinking, drugs and a costly attempt to cover it up. Money that came from the gifts to the TV Ministry. Money meant for the ministry but used as hush money! And the guy decided to write a book, a few years later, breaking the paid for silence and bringing domm and gloom to TBN, bor a short time! :tonofbricks:

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scandals_involving_American_evangelical_Christians

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this mean....

....you accept this practice? :wavey:

7. pk4life

pk4life Member

I don't agree that someone stealing money from an offering plate warrants the necessity of a confession to the church.

Involving as little people as possible seems to be the Biblical standard.

After that, it should be entirely on the person, through no persuasion of anybody else.

8. pk4life

pk4life Member

Who is being guided by the Holy Spirit in those instances?

A pastor is being guided to solicit an apology or confession from another?

The individual in question is being guided by the Holy Spirit, through the pastors recommendation?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah.....I have too too much to say about this (all experience bound) ...... Did they repent? In both cases, yes they did. Did they depart from their iniquity, again in both cases "NO" they did not & repeatedly. Where are both now, well both are or were in prison. One died of aids there after forcing sex on children. SO, how does one know just who is sincerely repentant & who is not?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What your really trying to say is FAT.....Chunkey Monkey would also do.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The one's who believe the person needs to repent need to be guided by the Holy Spirit. The process is often rushed because they aren't seeking God's face about the timing.

I've heard horror stories in the past that kinda went like:
    Day 1: Person A asks Person B to repent of a sin. Person B says no or keeps doing as he was.
    Day 2: Person A takes Person C and D to confront Person B and ask that he confess and repent. Person B says no or keeps doing as he was.
    Day 3:person A goes to the church to have Person B called before the church to confess and repent. Person B says no or keeps doing as he was.

Day 4: Person B is removed from the church.

There needs to be consideration given for the Holy Spirit's timing as to when to move through each stage.

Galatians 6:1 describes the correct attitude of believers when exercising church discipline: "Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself."

Gentleness, humility, and love from the Holy Spirit should guide the attitude of those who wish to restore a fallen brother or sister.

12. pk4life

pk4life Member

Well, the idea of a child predator, and what you're talking about, are repeat incidents.

Repenting should be coupled with departing from that iniquity yeah?

I've known of pastors who used to drink in excess. That's never held against them so long as they continue in sobriety right? Same thing.

13. pk4life

pk4life Member

The English language is complex enough for "hefty" to work well with what I said.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim, I make it a point to walk the dog about 45 min to 1 hr a day......preferably in the morning (before the heat builds). You gotta do it man.....if you want good health. & cut out bread! Bread, Pasta, Cake, Pizza etc are my addictions (Come from a Italian mother who served up carbs with love). Bad stuff...especially at our age. :smilewinkgrin:

15. pk4life

pk4life Member

Ok, I can see that.

That reminds me of a time the church we used to attend dropped a girl from the membership roll.

A young girl who had been a member had stopped showing up for over a year. Then rumors started that she had moved to Florida.

The issue got added to the meeting after the pastor visited with the deacons that very same day. The pastor explained what was happening, that the constitution of the church gave a 6 month period for absence and then you could remove them.

However, only ONE person brought up the fact that the individual in question should be contacted first. The reply was to the effect of "Well, we're just going to take this step, and we'll be trying to contact her".

This is my problem in general with church discipline. It's unorganized, it's sort of made up as you go along.

I would say I have never seen church discipline carried out properly... ever.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer Oh Beast, LOL!

Seriously, diabetes (DIEabetes), heart attacks, kidney failure, blood clots, strokes, amputations, blindness is not something to mess with....I was a size 40 waist & tracking 240 Lbs @ 6 foot. I have diabetes, nuropathy, & Ive had a heart bypass ....all because I had a sedentary lifestyle & stress ( tons of it). Im now down to 190 LB / in a size 36 & almost ready to throw the medications away (almost). Target weight is 175-180 (180 Lb for Christmas)LOL!

Id recommend the book, "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Mark Hyman, MD This guy is a culmination of many weight loss & prevention studies Ive read in the past.... highly recommend it if your serious.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Removing someone from the roll for lack of attendance is not church discipline. And we cannot forsake biblical principles because of abuses.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No not the same thing! Look if you want to screw up your life, I say have at it with the booze.... but just dont bring it into your relationship or job (I have a Grandfather, a wife, a MIL & a SIL --- oh & a brother (who is/was a Pastor) who are all alcoholics.

Bad gets worse with a Pedophile who either cant or wont reform. He destroys others, mostly children & their families. If you want the elongated version, I can give it to you but I dont think you want to go there.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The dog could use it, too. Thanks for the info.

Salty, I will get back to you tmrw. If not, holler at me again.

Thanks!

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the element of danger posed with those who have engaged in pedophilia in the past it is much harder to trust them. However, churches should have policies put into place that would never allow for something like that to happen.