1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Discipline

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MTA, Jul 26, 2004.

1. MTA

MTA New Member

I am curious how you each perceive discipline in the church and how it is practiced in your respective churches. What offenses result in exclusion from your church? Does your church distinguish between public and private offenses? What remedies are required for restoration? Does your church discipline members for "lesser" offenses (for lack of a better term), gossip, backbiting, etc? (If not, why?) How does your church handle societal sins: drug and alcohol use and/or abuse, divorce, unethical behavior, infidelity, etc.

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG]Ah say, ah say, son, does the word chicken mean anything to ya.

3. MTA

MTA New Member

[​IMG]
    I'm not so sure it is as much being chicken as it is not being sure. . . ? [​IMG]

Let me say this though. I didn't ask the question to start a hugh debate on the merits of discipline, just how it is perceived and administered in other churches.

4. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Discipline in our church is done with an attitude of mercy and restoration, keeping in mind the "log that is in our own eyes". Discipline, if needed, is done confindentialy (in private) with two or more witnesses. It usually never happens in public. If the person does not want to be helped, they typically leave the fellowship voluntarily before it's brought before the church. We try to follow the pattern that Jesus gives in Matthew.

We don't have a list of offenses to check against to determine if discipline is needed.
    Generally speaking, any "sin" that is committed compulsively by a unrepentant member and is disruptive to the unity of the fellowship would be a candidate for discplinary action. This would include the "lesser" and "societal" sins as you mentioned. I might add that the "lesser" sin of gossip causes more destruction in a church fellowship than any of the so-called "greater" sins.

Our churches are accused of being weak on discipline. But I submit to this board that discipline occurs more than we may realize. It often happens during private counseling where it should begin in the first place.

[ July 27, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Jeffrey H ]